Rockster Colorado!

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Rockster Colorado!

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

What an adventure!! Total miles ridden, round trip: 4100. I met an amazing assortment of new friends. Rode incredible roads. Got some great pictures. Need to edit and organize them.

I arrived home last night at around 9:30 pm. I'd ridden over 600 miles yesterday, and was on the road for something like 12 hours. THEN, I had to get up this morning and work a 10 hour shift.

A few tidbits:

In MZ33's driveway, packed and almost ready to ride.

The riders, MZ33 (Margaret) and Lion_Lady (Pam):

We came from waaaay back there:

Day 2, we made over 500 miles.

And we're headed waaaay out there:

These grain silos, about 20 houses, a hardware store, and gas station constituted a town:

We dodged some serious thunderstorms after crossing the Mississippi. The sun "sorta" came out and we stopped here, for a potty break and to take off our rain gear. The front door wasn't locked, no one stopped us when we ventured inside.

At last, Colorado.

We had the option of riding through this pass to get in/out of Keystone. Beautiful!

This view was part of our daily ride out and around:

The altitude was a bit tough. Mostly left me feeling like a fish out of water when I climbed the slope to our condo. The others sharing the condo had varying responses to the altitude. I felt mostly fine by the next day. Margaret says she felt "off" for 3 days.

Still recovering from my sleep deprivation. More to come.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Lion_Lady

Re: Rockster Colorado!

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Jumping to one of our most challenging rides: Mount Evans, the highest paved road in North America.

Here's Margaret (MZ33)

and me:

View from the top:

And there's Margaret again (see the red motorcycle, way down there?) on our descent.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#3 Unread post by sapaul »

Awsome LL, you made me jealous
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Wow - you should definitely get more pictures up - as well as descriptions of some of the places you both went! I'm hoping to do a 6000+ mile trip, but I'm not sure how it'll work out. Late October can be an iffy time of year for good roads.
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Of course, there is that little problem that 6000+ miles is greater than the number of miles I've put on a single bike, and even starting the trip on a new set of tires and chain/sprocket may not be a guarantee that they'll be able to last the trip.
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

Wow it looks like it was an awesome ride! :wowsign:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Lion_Lady

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Almost ready for the big adventure. Shucks, I look skinny! (I worked hard all year at getting in better shape for this challenging ride.)
Attachments
In my driveway in Reisterstown, MD. Bike is loaded, I've just got to get geared up.
In my driveway in Reisterstown, MD. Bike is loaded, I've just got to get geared up.
One last stop before "officially" hitting the road: Say good bye to hubby who was teaching a BRC class that day (The HD behind me is his co-coaches bike). He got a shot of me in my gear.
One last stop before "officially" hitting the road: Say good bye to hubby who was teaching a BRC class that day (The HD behind me is his co-coaches bike). He got a shot of me in my gear.

Lion_Lady

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I was at Keystone for my birthday. In celebration, I did a "little ride" around the area.

You'll note elevation signs and a "1" sign hanging on my bike in many photos. My local BMW club does an annual themed scavenger hunt. In 2009 the theme was Elevations. With bragging rights going to those who were able to capture the greatest total feet of elevation ridden over the year.
Attachments
The money shot, and the start of my birthday ride.
The money shot, and the start of my birthday ride.
I do believe I crossed the Western Continental Divide 4 times that day.
I do believe I crossed the Western Continental Divide 4 times that day.
For my birthday lunch, I found this quaint little cafe in Alma. I sat on the wraparound deck and enjoyed an amazing bowl of vegetable soup with a slice of crusty bread. I bought a piece of home made banana bread to carry along for later.
For my birthday lunch, I found this quaint little cafe in Alma. I sat on the wraparound deck and enjoyed an amazing bowl of vegetable soup with a slice of crusty bread. I bought a piece of home made banana bread to carry along for later.
The former site of the towns of Robinson, Kokomo and Recen, Colorado. Kokomo was the site of the highest Masonic Lodge in the US. The towns existed from 1882-1966, according to the stone marker at the pull off.
The former site of the towns of Robinson, Kokomo and Recen, Colorado. Kokomo was the site of the highest Masonic Lodge in the US. The towns existed from 1882-1966, according to the stone marker at the pull off.
Outside Leadville, CO.
Outside Leadville, CO.
My tripod, with time delay worked very well.
My tripod, with time delay worked very well.
P8200069.JPG
I stopped for a little break in the rest area at Tennessee Pass. These two mockingbirds shared the homemade banana bread I'd carried along from Alma. The bolder one, perched on the windscreen, hopped closer onto my seat then tailbag to make sure I knew he wanted what I was eating. I was able to entice him to my fingers to pick up a bit.
I stopped for a little break in the rest area at Tennessee Pass. These two mockingbirds shared the homemade banana bread I'd carried along from Alma. The bolder one, perched on the windscreen, hopped closer onto my seat then tailbag to make sure I knew he wanted what I was eating. I was able to entice him to my fingers to pick up a bit.
The little village of Minturn. Yeah, in retrospect, I wish I'd gotten more pictures of the surrounding scenery...
The little village of Minturn. Yeah, in retrospect, I wish I'd gotten more pictures of the surrounding scenery...
Vail.
Vail.
Almost back to Dillon...
Almost back to Dillon...

csspostal
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2012/Harley Davidson/ Iron 883 Ember Red

#9 Unread post by csspostal »

What is attached to your bars in the picture with the birds?
RhadamYgg wrote:I must have a sign on me that says "Never mind, he doesn't need vasoline."

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Lol we don't have mockingbirds here... Those there are gray jays... AKA Camprobbers. If it involves food or shinyness they'll take it. My uncle lost a 75 dollar watch to their nest building activities...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha