Apathy is such a sweet goddess that I need do nothing....

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

Apathy is such a sweet goddess that I need do nothing....

#1 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

to worship!

So, starting up a new blog as it has been many months since I've owned the B-King. The place I sold it too still has the B-King for sale.

They didn't really give me all that great money for the B-King, and I probably paid too much for my FZ6. I was in a hurry, I felt harried (all 4 kids were with us) and the B-King is a great bike - just impractical. Edited: (Besides I'd still be selling that bike and not on my current bike).

I don't bike with the camera in my helmet anymore. It was a bit of a safety issue, a comfort issue and there is just no way to turn off the display on the cameras that are small enough to fit in the helmet.

I may at some point get a go-pro camera to mount on the outside of my helmet, but for now this is too much money for me.

I had one camera mount on the fuel tank of the FZ6, but in the end this didn't work out. Basically, 50% of the frame was filled by bike and the only thing you could really notice is the fact that I speed sometimes when there is little traffic. So, I've removed it.

I fell for the advertising for Adaptiv's handlebar mount - also featured in a small article I believe in the recent Cycle World Magazine. It is a nice mount and I can't wait to put it on my bike, but a slight downside is that the $89 mount doesn't come with a screw for a camera! Fortunately, the last mount I purchased has a couple of screws and it isn't a fatal error. Even if I didn't have the screws I could get something at Home Depot. Still, $89, it should have come with a screw.

I also bought their GPS adjustable mount - maybe I'll get to try that out sometime soon as well. But I think I want to get a powerlet to cigarette adapter so that the unit can stay powered throughout an entire ride.

Speaking of powered through an entire ride, I can't think of a way to do this with my Fujifilm S1500 camera. And the problem that when it reaches the end of a file (2GB) it stops recording! On the plus side - I can run this camera without the display running - and should get good battery life, but the file size limit sucks. 38 minutes and I'd have to remember to stop and restart the camera recording. But I've got no dollars for another camera. My old camera - Fujifilm Z20FD - used to get a lot longer time - 1:15 minutes - per 2GB file - and it would start the next file automatically if I remember correctly.

Won't be riding this weekend. Might get the mount on board. Possibly - I'll be able to run the camera on the bike during next weeks commute.

I'll be posting pictures and stuff like that - when I get to it - given the name of this blog I wouldn't expect much out of it.
Last edited by RhadamYgg on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Re: Apathy is such a sweet goddess that I need do nothing...

#2 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

OK. Scammed 15 minutes to ride my bike and a 1/2 to install the camera mount.

Bad things - it requires a tool to install and adjust - also the camera screw that I had is 2 to 2.5 inches long with a spacer and I think that really affected the recording results.

Good things - I'm positive if I find an appropriate screw I'll get some smooth video.

Camera - really needs a wide angle lens. Rarely do I have encounters with vehicles, but as I passed a light near the end of the video a guy attempted to pass me on the right. I gave it a little gas to get out of there (he had some huge SUV), but you can't see his vehicle at all and it looks like I sped up for no reason (not unlikely, just not the case this time).

I'll give it another shot when I get a better screw.
At least I put a few miles on the bike.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

At least you cam works. I bought a Hi Def JVC digicam that has given me nothing but grief. First time I tried in on the old Sabre, the damn HD crapped out on me and needed to be replaced. Thankfully it was still under warranty.

Bought a new mount that I could use on the Connie's gas tank and tried it again. Shot about three minutes and it shuts down stating some kind of error. Tried it a few time but no joy. So far my old Kodak digital still camera has given me the best results, pity though I can only squeeze 45 minutes of low rez video on to the sim card.

When I get a few pennies together, I think I will invest in a new video camera or two or three.....LOL
Always ask why.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#4 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

ceemes wrote:At least you cam works. I bought a Hi Def JVC digicam that has given me nothing but grief. First time I tried in on the old Sabre, the damn HD crapped out on me and needed to be replaced. Thankfully it was still under warranty.

Bought a new mount that I could use on the Connie's gas tank and tried it again. Shot about three minutes and it shuts down stating some kind of error. Tried it a few time but no joy. So far my old Kodak digital still camera has given me the best results, pity though I can only squeeze 45 minutes of low rez video on to the sim card.

When I get a few pennies together, I think I will invest in a new video camera or two or three.....LOL
Yeah, I'm definitely on the quest for a new camera. I sometimes think about renting a really good one to see what really high quality really looks like.

I suspect in yours that there is too much vibration. I had this problem with one of my previous mounts. The camera would work for a while and then it would stop completely.

I'm going to give it another shot soon. I got to ride today, but didn't have time to set up the camera. Preferably, a shorter ride.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Update

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

So, it has been a while since I have posted or been online here at TotalMotorcycle - so here is a ping that I am indeed still alive.

I still own the FZ6 - it is a nice bike, but I want something else - but it'll be amazing if I can even keep the bike financially - and much more than that to end up on my destination bike. But it is always nice to fantasize about the next or destination bike.

I did finally take my trip out to Vegas and rented a Honda ST1300. Three days of riding - 850 miles, mostly poor cold riding conditions. I'll review the bike here and compare it to my past three bikes - Ninja 250, Suzuki B-King and Yamaha FZ6.

First I'll start with a description of my experience with the ST1300. This bike is a rental from Eaglerider in Las Vegas - it had California plates and I suspect the Eaglerider in Las Vegas and Los Angeles are closely affiliated. The first experience was interacting with the Eaglerider website, and its customer service. The website is ok, the customer service through e-mail is excellent. On the phone there is a little confusion about phone numbers and connecting to the Las Vegas branch instead of Los Angeles. No biggie, though.

First step when you rent a bike is you get the run down from the staff about what you can and can't do on the bike. No offroading, etc. Can't go to the skywalk by the Grand Canyon because its like 3 or 4o miles of dirt road to get there. No big loss, I read their website and you aren't supposed to take pictures while you are there and I enjoy taking pictures. I managed to take at least 3 or 4 hundred pictures over the entire conference and subsequent 3 day motorcycle vacation.

Preliminaries are through and definitely quite a few dollars exchange hands (at least from my perspective). I decide not to get the GPS as it takes them another 30 to 45 minutes to install and I didn't request it when reserving online. Probably not the brightest move I have made when in an unfamiliar part of the country.

Eaglerider employees had me take the bike around their rental facility before releasing me to ride around the country. This was a true test of the bike and I. First time on a bike and it is slow speed maneuvers... Bleh or not?

This bike is incredibly stable at slow speeds given the weight and sheer size. I take a slow round about the facility with a warning that someone might take a fast run out of the parking lot and to be careful. Absolutely, no problem - not even a little bit. Impressive. Already I can feel how smooth this bike is with the shaft and shifting.

Immediately after my quick test run I load up the bike - fill the saddle bags and load up my tail bag and off I go in to the city streets of Las Vegas. And then I get lost on the way to Target to get dry food supplies and liquids in case anything should happen. Brilliant move saving money and a little bit of time by not getting the GPS.

A point also with the GPS and the West is that it can get very hard to judge distances. The roads a long and straight and the distance can be very deceiving.

It was a late start - and late in the year - I rode by the bypass to the Hoover Dam - didn't even know it was in place and finished and whizzed by the Hoover Dam Exit - will have to catch it some other time. The road - 93 - isn't completely finished, but offers two lanes in each direction over much of its length.

As I go through the road - through mountain passes the temperatures start to decline precipitously. I arrive in Kingsman already at the limit of my summer gear. I decide to continue onward - on to Historic Route 66 - darkness falls shortly after I reach the historic road. I'm nearly frozen as I approach the only hotel in Pearl Springs (city that apparently is the origin of the city in the movie Cars) and take a room there. It is expensive for the level of accommodations, but it'll do. I sleep but not too late - take some pictures as the bike warms up in the cold and continue the trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. At this point the smoothness of the bike is impressive - no problems with the bike - could ask for better temperatures - turns cleanly and smoothly and the seat is comfortable, but not overwhelmingly so on my first hours on the bike. I'm averaging 40 mpg after my stop in Kingman.

I pass towns in the next day's travel - that have a road named first street.... No light signal - and there is no other street. They might have named it Only Street, but I suppose they were being optimistic in the prospects of eventually having a second street.

I pass signs for Burma Shave and have to stop. My father-in-law used to talk about signs for Burma Shave - so I take pictures - sunlight isn't the greatest for some of the pics and move on - there isn't much time - two more set of Burma Shave signs I pass - I chuckle a little and wonder about one set - maybe I missed a sign or something, but it just didn't make any sense...

The day warms up, but I'm using my winter gloves and mostly summer gear. One of my friends that lives in the region said I should expect temperatures in the 80s and 90s. She was right, for her area, but the Grand Canyon and surrounding area are much higher in elevation and some freak weather front passed by and made 60s ish temperatures dip down in to the 30s in the late nights.

I find passing in the ST1300 to be somewhat of an effort - to the point that I downshift and give it gas with no danger of lifting a wheel. Still very happy with the ride quality and effortless nature of riding the ST1300 as I finally arrive at Grand Canyon.
I have my home laptop with me - 18" screen that barely fits in my Cortech tailbag. I can't bring myself to leave it on the bike so I attach the straps in an X formation and hang it on my back. Over time the straps dig in to my shoulders - but I am awed by the Grand Canyon even on this not so clear and sometimes rainy day. It warms up a bit (but not much) and the rain stops and I walk and walk and walk and stop and take pictures on the South Rim... Even a single step changes my perspective of this natural splendor and progress is slow. I have vastly underestimated how much time I want to spend at the South Rim. I decide to spend more time there and skip the North Rim (which has closed facilities anyway) and won't circle the Grand Canyon.

Deep in to darkness at 7PM I finally leave on the motorcycle - sunset is just a memory on a bus maneuvering through the park. I take 64 to Rte 180 down to Flagstaff to stay for the night. Temperatures dive down to 35 (or so the bike tells me) and the time crawls as the many turns on this road carry me to over 8000 ft in elevation. I cannot fully describe the pleasure of sitting on a cheap "O Ring" bed in a Motel 6 at the end of this ride.

I'll continue in the next entry. My boys need a bath...

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#6 Unread post by MZ33 »

Hey, there, Rhadam! Sounds like it was an adventure!

So, what is your dream bike now?
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]