The Blog of Blues

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#61 Unread post by dr_bar »

I have a picture of you shortly after you started riding, you're standing by your bike in Deep Cove.
The smile on your face is contagious, you can tell that you are doing something that gives you
incredible pleasure. That smile is no different than the one you've just recently posted of you by
the entrance to Manning Park.

Since I've met you, that smile was the biggest change in your "Visible" emotions, and it has been
great to be there watching that change come over you. In my opinion, to sell the bike would be a
great misadventure, but, that is my opinion. I have been your main riding partner for this
last year, and I would hate to think that something I've said or done has contributed to this
crossroads in your life.

Just a few points to consider...
  1. Your skill on the bike has done nothing but improve everytime you've taken it out of your garage.
  2. The way you currently ride, shows that you are now having more fun on the bike rather than
    using each ride just as a learning experience.
  3. Our recent trip to keremeos showed that you were, and are, up the challenges of distance riding,
    (450 miles for your first long ride was was more than some riders will ever do in a day.)
  4. Helmet head, hiking hair, and for that matter bed head... none of those matter, what matters, is
    the smile. If the smile is gone, then so is your joy. IMHO

There is no criticism intended here, only a point of view and a reminder of the joy...

Doug
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#62 Unread post by blues2cruise »

cb360 wrote:Hey - are you sure letting the insurance lapse is a good idea financially orks differently in Canada, but here in the US it can actually cost MORE when you renew if you've let it lapse and try to re-up in the riding season.

Of course the fact that you can get car insurance for 3 days is a completely foreign idea to me. I've had car insurance continually for the last 23 years and if I ever didn't have it for a period I'd get a huge upcharge for 'no prior insurance'. They even got me for being in the Peace Corps for two years - I told them. "There wasn't a car in the entire village!" - didn't matter, I had to pay waht is essentially a penAlty for no prior insu5rance until I'd been insured for a year. What a racket.
There is no problem to put storage insurance on the bike and then insure it in the Spring. I will get the same price regardless. At one point I had no vehicle for a few years and when I got one I still had my good rate of insurance. They look at your driver's license number to see your record. If you have a clean driving record you get the best rates.

When my car insurance expired on March29, I parked the car and just put storage insurance on it. You can do the same with a bike. If there is a really nice day in December for example, I could go get a day permit or a weekend permit and use the bike.

For this weekend the 3 days of insurance is costing me $76.00 and that is with all the liability and collision. The gas may end up costing more than the insurance with the way gas prices are these days.

blues2cruise

#63 Unread post by blues2cruise »

cb360 wrote:I don't get a tenth of the comments you seem to endure. If I got that much unsolicited advice I think I'd start cutting them off mid-sentence... 'I'm not looking for any advice - thank you though!"
Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will start using that.

"Are you here to give me advice?" I'm not looking for any, but thank you, though."

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#64 Unread post by cb360 »

I hope you hang in there too. My wife just started riding right around the same time you did. She rides a Rebel250 - she's probably only put 1500 miles on the bike all summer. She rides fairly frequently but they are all short rides. She's having a great time and she loves it, but she's taking it slow. You are light years ahead of her already in terms of mileage and experience. She's still skittish and hasn't been above 55 and she hasn't rode 100 miles in a day yet. Unless the finances are just not workable you should definitely hang in there. Even if you've bitten off more than you could chew moneywise you could always sell the bike and get a used one until you get the money stuff in order. Either way, I love the blog and would like to see it continue.

Crazy insurance rules up there in Canada... they seem so... reasonable. Down here the driving record cert5ainly matters as well, but you'll get a penalty even if you have a clean record if you've dared to not give the ins. companies any money for a few years.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

blues2cruise

#65 Unread post by blues2cruise »

cb360, my bike is paid for. I had been saving a $100. a month for eons towards my retirement. I cashed in one of my plans to pay for the bike. I had decided I would rather have the satisfaction of motorcycling now than regretting later that I never did it.

I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I guess I better get out and ride somewhere so I will have something to write about.....unless you want to hear about my backpacking weekend. :wink:

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#66 Unread post by BuzZz »

blues2cruise wrote: ....... I guess I better get out and ride somewhere so I will have something to write about.....unless you want to hear about my backpacking weekend. :wink:
Depends... did you get a knee down? :laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

blair
Legendary
Legendary

#67 Unread post by blair »

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that blues' blog has more messages in it than mine.
'93 Honda VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

blues2cruise

#68 Unread post by blues2cruise »

blair wrote:I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that blues' blog has more messages in it than mine.
Ok, I'll drop by and leave you one. :laughing:

blues2cruise

#69 Unread post by blues2cruise »

BuzZz wrote:
blues2cruise wrote: ....... I guess I better get out and ride somewhere so I will have something to write about.....unless you want to hear about my backpacking weekend. :wink:
Depends... did you get a knee down? :laughing:
No, but I would have like to put my knee into my brother's brain. The title of the entry could be called "Mr. GQ goes hiking". :roll:

blues2cruise

My first group ride....with a local "chapter"

#70 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Riding With the Big Boys

My last blog entry was quite bleak sounding. I believe this entry will be somewhat more uplifting. I visited my doctor regarding my mental health and have received a bit of help with it. One of the doctor’s recommendations was to get out and be with people….although I don’t think the doctor had meeting up with a local chapter of a motorcycle club in mind. The suggestion was for me to get out to gym where there would be exercise classes and music. I also took Dr. Gummiente’s advice to go for a ride. So I combined the two suggestions into one and went for a club ride today.
I haven't had time to go for ny solo rides except for a couple of commutes to and from work. My usual morning jaunt that I like so much (along Marine Drive) had failed to produce my usual smile. It's like I'm just going through the motions. So I went for a big ride with the big boys.

Although it makes me somewhat nervous to go meet new people, I also know I will never “expand” my horizons if I just stay home.
“How did I meet these people”, you ask. I was on a website for ISRA and saw a link for the Southern Cruisers chapter in Langley. I decided to have a look and there just happened to be a ride planned for today. They were meeting at Tim Horton’s in Langley. I made a post and asked if I found the Tim Horton’s could I join their ride to Harrison. Not only did they say I was welcome but they also sent me directions to get to the meeting place.
A little later I received an e-mail from the First Officer welcoming me and hoping I would join them on the ride.

So-o-o-o-o….at 7:30 this morning, I took my bike to the carwash area in my garage. I couldn’t go and meet a group of hardcore riders with a dirty bike, after all. :wink: I left home at 9:30 for my ride to Langley to meet up with these folks. I was the first to arrive and as there was no parking left at the front, I rode my bike to back lot, but still in view of the entrance. A few minutes later, the second officer arrived and put two and two together and rode over to me.
“Are you going to ride with us today?” he asked.
“I’m hoping too,” I replied.
“Great!” he said, with a big smile. “Glad to have you along!”
I felt a little better already. As we were standing chatting, the first officer rode in and joined us. He introduced himself as Vince. He was the one who had sent me the welcoming message the evening before. I thanked him for sending me that message. Getting the message had made it feel like a sincere welcome as opposed to just a post on a website. We left our bikes and went in to get coffee. How nice…..Gary bought my coffee and bagel….. :)
Back outside, I told him I had never been on a group ride and asked if there was any protocol I needed to know. He said he would be giving a “rundown” of the rules when everyone was there. While the three of us were chatting and drinking our coffee, four more riders arrived.
There was Brad, Leo, John, Ray, Vince, Gary and me. We all introduced ourselves and shook hands all around. Then Gary gave us the “rules” for a club group ride.
We would be riding staggered with a 2 second count from the rider directly in front of you and a 1 second count from the rider you were staggered beside. He explained how changing lanes and passing worked. Ray was to be our road captain and Gary was tail gunner. He said since I was a new rider I was to ride first behind Ray.
Mounted up and ready to go, we left the parking lot. We turned right onto the bypass and …… :shock: Yikes! :shock: ...Ray accelerated really fast so I had some catching up to do. No problem. I shifted and gave my bike some gas and shifted up again. I was up with Ray in no time. We came to a stop at the red light. Now that I am aware I will accelerate more briskly. When the light turned green, I was ready and this time I kept up with Ray. He has a 1700cc Road Star, so that would explain why he can accelerate so easily. We made our way to the Albion Ferry lineup. The wait was only about 10 minutes before we could board and be on our way. After disembarking we once again assembled in a group and rode to Mission where we were to meet up with one more rider. We pulled into the gas station and met up with Antonio. Now we were eight. The eight of us got back on the road for our ride to Harrison. I was having no problem keeping up because Ray was a good road captain. Well mostly a good road captain. There were a couple of occasions when he pulled out to pass and of course we all were to follow….I happened to look down at my speedo… :o 130kmh….Once back into our own lane though, the speed came back down to a more reasonable pace.
We were keeping a brisk pace and fast approaching the part of the ride that has all the twisties that go up the mountain and then abruptly down. I could keep up the speed easily enough for the first ¾ of this stretch but I was concerned about the last bit. I didn’t want to have to slow the group down too much…but wait….what did I see ahead? A tow truck going really slow. :mrgreen: I was actually glad to see a slow moving vehicle in front of Ray. It meant I could take this last bit slow and not feel like I was the one holding up the group.

Once back down on level ground our pace picked up and before long we were in Harrison. We stopped in at The Old Settler Inn. It’s easy to see it’s a biker friendly place because of the bikes already parked in the lot. It is also popular with tourists, too.
It was coffees and juices all around with our lunch. These guys were quite a responsible bunch and didn’t have any alcohol with their lunches.

It was during lunch that Gary mentioned the Antonio would like to lead us on a ride over some back roads through Chilliwack. Leo, John and Brad decided to leave us at that point because they had to get back early. So, after lunch, the remaining five of us carried on to Chilliwack. Holy cow! Antonio sure rides fast. Although I was keeping up and we were not unsafe, I was keeping my eyes open for police.
Aaaaacccckkkk…..What is that horrible smell? There was a honey wagon in action. For those that don’t know what a honey wagon is….it is a truck with a nozzle that spews fertilizer as it drives along in the fields.

To be continued……It was along day and I need to get to sleep. I will finish tomorrow.