To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki Concours 1400 "Ursula"

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#161 Unread post by JackoftheGreen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 pm

Today is our youngest child's birthday, she turns 14 today.

She's been in the marksmanship program at her school and doing very well, so we bought her a Ruger Youth 10/22 from a local pawn shop for her present. She's been asking for her own rifle for awhile, but over the last year she's really worked hard to earn it.

What she wanted was one of those youth model Crickets with the synthetic teal stock, but we looked at one it's just barely better than a toy. This Ruger will last her a lifetime, and it aligns with my morals to buy her a used rifle rather than a new one. Wins all the way around.

In other news, I've been listening to a new podcast and really enjoying it. New to me anyway, the podcast has been running for like seven year or something. It's the Cafe Racer Podcast, I recommend it to anyone that enjoys podcasts and motorcycles. Despite the name, they talk about all kinds of bikes, not just cafe racers, and I like the show enough that I'm even supporting them on Patreon. There really aren't a lot of good motorcycle podcasts out there, so finding one worth supporting is a treat.

I haven't done any of the stuff with Ursula I mentioned wanting to do yet, but I really need to. Temps have been cooling off around here, with overnight lows in the 30s, so I haven't ridden much. We wont put the bikes up for the winter though, we manage to ride at least two or three days every month in the winter. Not having to mess with trickle chargers or fuel stabilizers is wonderful. We also intend on picking up some heated gear this winter, so we may get to ride even more than normal.

That's all I've got for now! Thanks again for always coming back!

JackoftheGreen

#162 Unread post by JackoftheGreen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 pm

I FINALLY INSTALLED THAT FUSE BOX!!

Actually I did it last Tuesday, the 8th. It went pretty well, got all my cowlings off without breaking anything and found all the leads I was looking for. The Connie forum I'm also a member of provided a great tip about a factory accessory circuit in the front wire boot, and I was able to find that very quickly and tap into it to supply the switch for my relay. A couple more power and ground wires and everything came together very nicely.

Putting everything back together was not as easy. Serves me right for leaving a bike taken apart for a whole week. I lost several of those plastic snap rivets. Not sure at all where they could have ended up, but they are GONE. I did a little poking around and realized that the grommets the rivets snap into are also threaded for an M5 bolt, so I bought a dozen of those suckers at Home Depot and put all that back together this afternoon. Now it's just the final panels that cover the battery and I'll be done.

After a lot of thought, I sacrificed the Connie's glove box for the fuse box. Not sacrificed exactly, it's still there, but now it's full of electrical components. I hardly use it at all, so the space will be much better utilized this way. As big as the Connie is, there aren't a lot of places to stash a six-slot fuse box with built in ground bus.

I did take some footage explaining how everything comes together and why, and now that it's all back together I'll do some more filming to show the final installation. So expect another YouTube video soon on the subject. This would make a great winter project for anyone who wants to be able to add some accessories to their bike, and it really is easy once you've got all the components together.

That's all for now! So glad I finally got this done! Next project, new tires for Carrie's CTX.

JackoftheGreen

#163 Unread post by JackoftheGreen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Just a quick one tonight!

My daughters and I went to the shooting range this morning while Carrie was teaching, to try out the Ruger 10/22 we got my youngest for her birthday.

I took the first few shots with the rifle to get the scope 0'ed, and it was pretty bad. With an 18x18 target at 48yds, I literally didn't even get on the page. After a midrange barrage and some adjustments, things started happening.

Both girls are shooting roughly 4 or 5 inch groups at 48yds, which I'm pretty impressed with. I think we'll do a lot more shooting this winter and it's sure to improve. At $5 an hour it's ridiculously cheap entertainment. :)

I've got lasagna in the oven right now and it's going to be delicious.

Oh, and, a new item arrived today for our next review! Stay tuned for that.

JackoftheGreen

#164 Unread post by JackoftheGreen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm

This morning I did an unboxing, installation, and a little preliminary filming for the new product I'm reviewing. Initial results are interesting.

Once I'd done as much of that as I could do, me and the kids piled into the car and headed out to the motorcycle range to visit Carrie and help with the class. It was a little chilly for riding bikes, but everyone was in good spirits and it all went really well.

Now we're relaxing and enjoying a couple of beers in the quiet. Tomorrow morning the work week begins again.

That's all for now.