My Moto Guzzi V7. Does it smell like pizza or is it just me?

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: My Moto Guzzi V7. Does it smell like pizza or is it just

#141 Unread post by dr_bar »

These have never had that problem...
~~~~Rivco.jpg
~~~~Rivco.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#142 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

dr_bar wrote:These have never had that problem...
Wow, those are crazy mad horns! :D

It looks like it needs an accessory compressor?

Mike

P.S. It's raining out today so no photo (yet) of the horn mod. Maybe tomorrow. :revv:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#143 Unread post by dr_bar »

Yes, they come with a separate compressor, they are very loud... :)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#144 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I ordered up some new clear turn signal lenses for my Guzzi and installed them today. $18 each pair on eBay with amber bulbs. They look quite nice (IMO) over the stock orange ones as it seems to better fit the black and silver look more.

New lenses
Newlenses2.jpg
New lenses
Newlenses1.jpg
Newlenses1.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
Stock lenses

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#145 Unread post by dr_bar »

I would take my Airhorns off the Valkyrie, but the only real mounting spot recommended for the RoyalStar Venture is, rear facing, down on the swing arm. If I was going to do that, I'd have just bought plastic horns...

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#146 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Mike, do they make clear reflectors for the fork tubes as well? That'd really button up the look.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#147 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JackoftheGreen wrote:Mike, do they make clear reflectors for the fork tubes as well? That'd really button up the look.
Two great minds... Funny enough I was looking for "silver or clear" reflectors on eBay yesterday, but it doesn't seem they make them (or I can't find them). I have to do a search on Texas road law to see if I can use clear reflectors as well... I might not be able to. But Texas law did say for the turn signals.

Front: White or Orange (or any shade in between)
Rear: Orange or Red (or any shade in between)

I wonder if it is the same then for the reflectors?

So far:
Texas Transportation Code - Section 547.303. Color Requirements
§ 547.303. COLOR REQUIREMENTS. (a) Unless expressly
provided otherwise, a lighting device or reflector mounted on the
rear of a vehicle must be or reflect red.
(b) A signaling device mounted on the rear of a vehicle may
be red, amber, or yellow.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Well, it appears I require the amber reflectors so the question is, use the OEM ones (they are just double sided taped on it seems) or get different looking amber ones... suggestions?

SUBCHAPTER E. GENERAL LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS FOR VEHICLES

§ 547.3215. USE OF FEDERAL STANDARD. Unless
specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective
devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle
must comply with:
(1) the current federal standards in 49 C.F.R. Section
571.108; or
(2) the federal standards in that section in effect,
if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 324, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

§ 547.325. REFLECTORS REQUIRED. (a) Except as
provided by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or
pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on
the rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part
of a taillamp.
(b) A reflector shall be:
(1) mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches; and
(2) visible at night at all distances:
(A) from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of
lawful lower beams of headlamps; or
(B) from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of
lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or
assembled before January 1, 1972.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995

Technically yes the amber reflectors are required on all cars in the United States. DOT (federal) requires some sort of amber reflector to be visable from the side of the car
I am thinking there must be a federal law for front reflectors: "amber reflectors up front and red reflectors in rear" or something like that.

Mike

JackoftheGreen

#148 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I sorta doubt if they have any clear specifications for passive reflectors in that location. Reflectors on the back have to be red so that a driver seeing the reflection can tell it's the rear of the vehicle (and therefor NOT oncoming traffic).

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know that I've ever actually SEEN clear reflectors on motor vehicles -- just bicycles. How much of the reflector body comes off? Maybe you could do a complete swap with something from the bicycle world? Just a thought...

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#149 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JackoftheGreen wrote:I sorta doubt if they have any clear specifications for passive reflectors in that location. Reflectors on the back have to be red so that a driver seeing the reflection can tell it's the rear of the vehicle (and therefor NOT oncoming traffic).

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know that I've ever actually SEEN clear reflectors on motor vehicles -- just bicycles. How much of the reflector body comes off? Maybe you could do a complete swap with something from the bicycle world? Just a thought...
Looking on eBay, I do see clear bicycle reflectors... hmmm.. Now where did the clear reflectors on a bicycle go?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

And there is this option. Reflector tape: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-DOT-c2-Diamo ... 232a513f33

Mike

JackoftheGreen

#150 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Table I-c—Required Lamps and Reflective Devices Lighting device Number and color Mounting location Mounting height Device activation
All Motorcycles
Lower Beam Headlamps White, of a headlighting system listed in S10.17 On the front, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, as far apart as practicable. See additional requirements in S10.17.1.1, S10.17.1.2, and S10.17.1.3 Not less than 22 inches (55.9 cm) nor more than 54 inches (137.2 cm) The wiring harness or connector assembly of each headlighting system must be designed so that only those light sources intended for meeting lower beam photometrics are energized when the beam selector switch is in the lower beam position, and that only those light sources intended for meeting upper beam photometrics are energized when the beam selector switch is in the upper beam position, except for certain systems listed in Table II.
Upper Beam Headlamps White, of a headlighting system listed in S10.17 On the front, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, as far apart as practicable. See additional requirements in S10.17.1.1, S10.17.1.2, and S10.17.1.3 Not less than 22 inches (55.9 cm) nor more than 54 inches (137.2 cm) Steady burning, except that may be flashed for signaling purposes.
The upper beam or the lower beam, but not both, may be wired to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with S10.17.5
Turn Signal Lamps 2 Amber. None required on a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less At or near the front, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between a turn signal lamp and headlamp is 4 inches Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 83 inches Flash when the turn signal flasher is actuated by the turn signal operating unit.
2 Amber or red. None required on a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less At or near the rear, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches
Minimum edge to edge separation distance between the turn signal lamp and the taillamp or stop lamp is 4 inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red
Taillamps 1 Red On the rear, on the vertical centerline except that if two are used, they must be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 72 inches Steady burning.
Must be activated when the headlamps are activated in a steady burning state.
Stop Lamps 1 Red On the rear, on the vertical centerline except that if two are used, they must be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 72 inches Steady burning.
Must be activated upon application of the service brakes.
When optically combined with a turn signal lamp, the circuit must be such that the stop signal cannot be activated if the turn signal lamp is flashing. May also be activated by a device designed to mentally challenged the motion of the vehicle.
Reflex Reflectors 2 Amber On each side as far to the front as practicable Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 60 inches Not applicable.
2 Red On each side as far to the rear as practicable
1 Red On the rear, on the vertical centerline except that, if two are used on the rear, they must be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline
License Plate Lamp 1 White On the rear to illuminate license plate No requirement Steady burning.
This is from the 571.108 Federal Code, table 1-c.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulati ... CFR571.108

Damn.