Gator1970
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2014 Honda CTX 70 DE

My new 2014 CTX 700DE

#1 Unread post by Gator1970 »

Hey you out there. You know who you are. You know. The new owners of Honda's second attempt and best yet for what I conceive as a great bike for beginners and those of us moving into and beyond retirement status.

It's time to SPEAK UP.

I've read alot of negative things about the bike but I'm loving it's ease of use. I've never had a bike, American or a Japanese that handled as well as this bike; much better than my Harley 1450. I bought the extended windshield and saddlebags that I bought with the bike so they make it very useable; both going to the store and interstate trips.

I have leg neuropathy that caused me to sell my Harley 1450 due to my downshifting the tranny without knowing it. It's a disease that kills the legs' nerve endings. I thought my motorcycle days were gone as the last trip on I-75 I ds while going down the highway nearly losing control of the bike. It was sold and I bought a Kymko scooter; no comparison to a bike except for the speed. :baby: That dang thing flew. Just never had heard of them and when Honda came out with this auto with a PARKING BREAK :laughing: I had to have it.

It's a great bike for me and would be for many others. :o It's not a Harley but it'll work for me. I'm awaiting changes coming to the exhaust which is flat out ugly. So true but the rest is great.

Like I said it's the best handling bike I've ever owned. I know I can't be the only one so let's hear from the rest of you new owners out there.

My next buy are heated hand grips and a 12v plug in the cubby hole above the gas cap to charge my phone while I play tunes on the bluetooth speakers that still haven't been offered.

Let's hear from some you. :cowboy:

Thanks!

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: My new 2014 CTX 700DE

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

I haven't ridden the bike yet, but have sat on one in front of the dealership and the center of gravity is extremely low and the bike feels very light. I would suspect that they would sell a million of these to people of shorter stature, if they just managed to make them look a little better. Not to insult your ride, but I see this as the greatest barrier to them selling more of these bikes. As for negative reviews, I can't say as I have seen anything.....

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Honda hit a home run with the NC700X. But the CTX700's...... ahhh...... don't look so hot to me. Is that the ugliest exhaust in the history of motorcycles? (Well, no, the DN-01 had that. This is a close second).

Seriously, I'm glad the OP likes his bike. I own a V-strom, one of the most ungainly looking things on the planet. I've always said, so long as I'm riding it, I don't have to look at it! :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

MANDAVDLE
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: HONDA CTX 700 N DCT

#4 Unread post by MANDAVDLE »

After giving up riding many years ago, I am back in the saddle this year finally on a CTX 700N DCN, after starting off with a Yamaha vstar 950. The weight on the vstar was just too much for my knees when at a standstill, but the CTX is just right. I drive a stick shift BMW station wagon and did the PA MSF course on manual shift bikes, but went to the auto on the CTX in order to get the ABS. No regrets whatsoever. The DCT is the way to go on this bike. It is a bit breezy at speed, so I will need to add a windscreen (waiting for Madstad).

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I haven't heard anything negative on the CTX either myself, in fact, there isn't much out there about them as they were/have been met with little interest. I fear myself, while it sounds like a good hybrid motorcycle, it may share the same fate as the DN-01. Many who bought the DN-01 really liked it, but it never sold well. In fact, the DN-01 might go down with the CTX as the Honda PC800 did in history.

With it's lack of top-heaviness and low seat height, I think Honda is going after the older rider, one coming off a heavy touring bike that's finding it a bit too much. Luckily for Honda, there are quite a few older riders out there looking at this option. (and it's a good option). Thus why Suzuki decided on changing the market with the Burgman scooter years ago.

If that sounds a little negative just remember the VHS won over Betamax, even though Beta was a better technology (at the time).

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

MANDAVDLE
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: HONDA CTX 700 N DCT

#6 Unread post by MANDAVDLE »

(Link Removed - Admin)

Lots of CTX700 information by CTX users at the above link, mostly very positive, oft-times from ladies and old guys like me...

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

MANDAVDLE wrote:(Link Removed - Admin)

Lots of CTX700 information by CTX users at the above link, mostly very positive, oft-times from ladies and old guys like me...
Have to be really careful about forums like the one you just listed. The people might be good, but the that runs all these "spam forums" are a for-profit company who buys up forums with their members (for 3x monthly income, ask me how I know) and doesn't care about the people who post there (nor their privacy and security). It's what give all us forums that care a black-eye... Check out what else that same company runs:
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha Motorcycles
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum Streetfighters
Just a little insight. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I sat on one at the dealer and I gotta say it fit very well. It's also 150 pounds lighter then my Vulcan.

I want to go for a demo ride.

Unfortunately...the automatic option is not available in Canada.

riya20
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: bmw

#9 Unread post by riya20 »

if they just managed to make them look a little better. Not to insult your ride, but I see this as the greatest barrier to them selling more of these bikes.

Nyasiad
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Bmw

#10 Unread post by Nyasiad »

I’ve been wanting to start riding for quite some time now, but being 6’ 7”, I wasn’t sure if I would find something comfortable for me without being too huge of a bike for a first time rider. I personally also wanted something stupid easy to ride that could be great for commuting, and that meant ideally a bike with an automatic. Did some research on automatic bikes and stumbled upon the CTX700.

Ended up finding one with 11k miles on Craigslist for $3k in decent shape. First and only owner had plastidipped all the fairings flat black, installed some LED light pods right through the radiator covers, and installed an HID kit that worked only half the time. I removed it all and it’s back to stock, except for the shorty exhaust. Sounds pretty good, so I’m leaving it..