Bucket List Rides

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Bucket List Rides

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Well, in a couple of weeks I hit the mid point of 50, which annoys the hell out of me no end. Basically I am either at the mid point of my life if I get to live to 110 that is, or I am now at that stage of life where I have more days behind me than I have ahead of me. And given the number of people I know or rather knew that were around my age group who popped off this mortal coil, I figure I had best make the best of what time I have left, be it a few months or another 5 decades.

To this end I have a: given up smoking b: improved my diet c: attempting to loose weight d: not letting stress at work kill me. However one thing I have noticed that for the past couple of years, most of my riding has been for commuting purposes only, this is not good. So I have decided to change that and to go on some of my Bucket List Rides, these include doing the Duffy Lake Loop, including the Fraser Canyon, The Sunshine Coast Run, The Vancouver Island South Perimetre Run I have mapped out, and the Hope-Princeton and Green Mountain Road in Penticton again. Next year I have three weeks vacation, and I hope to ship the Trophy to the UK, spend a week with my family there, then bugger off up north to tour about the Lake District and Scotland.

And this is what this new blog is going to be about, my rides and of course boring video's of said rides. May as well make you all suffer while I can. :laughing:

Anyways, here we go. Enjoy and feel free to comment, be rude if you like.
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Sunshine Coast Ride, April 19, 2015 - Part One: Port Mellon Run

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

BC can be a bikers paradise, once you get away from Vancouver and the Lower Mainland that is. There are many great rides to be hard, some challenging and other just plain fun. There is the Duffy Lake Loop, the Hope-Princeton Highway through Manning Park, Green Mountain Road in Penticton, the Kootneys, the Fraser Canyon and the various hidden gems closer to Vancouver.

One of those hidden gems is the Sunshine Coast Ride from the Langdale Ferry Terminal, through Upper Gibson's Landing, past Sechelt and terminating at the Earls Cove Ferry Terminal. Coming from Vancouver, you catch the first sailing on the Queen of Surrey from Departure Bay to Langdale Terminal. It's a 40 minutes crossing, giving you enough time to choke down an overpriced BC Ferry breakfast of rubbery scrambled eggs, greasy sausages and not too bad hash brown and coffee.

Thanks to the lobbying of the BC Coalition of Motorcyclist (BCCOM), motorcycles are embarked and disembarked off the Ferries before other vehicle, give you a good crack at getting well ahead of the cage parade that can ruin a ride.

Most riders head straight up to Upper Gibson's Landing and onto Egmont or Earls Cove, however I say they are doing themselves a disservice and are missing a great little 13 run. Instead of going straight at the light at the entrance to the terminal, you turn right and head up a near trafficless 13 kilometre run for of twisties and tight corners ending at the main gate of the Port Mellon pulp mill.

The road is good condition, however you need to be careful of areas where gravel has been sprayed about, also the area is home to some rather large wildlife. It is not all that unusual to see Deer herds and the odd Black Bear ambling up the middle of the road, so it is advisable to keep that in mind when diving hell bent for leather into a blind corner.

Anyways, here the video of my ride up to Port Mellon, please enjoy and feel free to leave a comment or two.

(if the sound track does work, please visit my Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/125628266 )

Ceemes
Always ask why.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: Bucket List Rides

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

BC has a life time worth of roads to explore, but I also want to do a bike vacation down the PCH one day...also want to ride out to east coast and Newfoundland, PEI & Nova Scotia.

I'm really quite happy just exploring BC. Living in Alberta makes me appreciate the beauty of the mountain roads, but also quite aware that you guys are getting screwed over when it comes to bike insurance...just sayin' (although your winters are much easier to take)

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#4 Unread post by Hanson »

I have a long list.

I want to do a Tour of Honor ride in ever state. I like how this goal will make me go to hundreds of places I would not normally choose to visit. After I am retired, I want to do this all over again in just one year.

I want to ride to Deadhorse Alaska, Yellowknife Northwest Territories, Inuvik Northwest Territories, Goose Bay Newfoundland, Key West Florida ....

There are 9 battleship museums in the world with seven in the continental United States. I want to ride through battleship history by visiting each of these museums in the order they where constructed. I love battleships.

I want to ride in the Iron Butt Rally.

I want to ride everywhere in the Johnny Cash song I've Been Everywhere.

I want to camp in every major national park in the United States and Canada.

I want ... I want ... I want ... I sound like a selfish child, but what I would love more than anything else is if my precious wife would ride pillion.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Sunshine Coast Ride, April 19, 2015 - Part Two: Roberts Creek Run

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

Roberts Creek is a nice little ride on the Sunshine Coast of BC. One thing to keep in mind while riding it, it is a residential area full of people walking their dogs, kids playing about, and cages crawling around, so ride accordingly and respect the locals.
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Today met up with a few member's of the BMOC at the Big 6 in Burnaby and after breakfast headed to the 29th Annual Classic Bike Show and Swap Meet, now being held in the Agroplex at the Cloverdale Fair Grounds. Was sorely disappointed, as it cost C$12 to get inside and there were only a few bike on show, the rest of the space was filled up with people flogging used parts and stuff. Had hope to find Leather Steel vendor so I could get a new pair of riding overpants, but no joy. Guess they have gone out of business. The best part of the show was outside the main venue, in the parking lot where a lot of classic bikes were ridden in. So not a total waste of time.

I did however get an idea, seems like everywhere you turned at the show, you ran into Gospel Riders or Keeping the Sabbath Riding Club...Now I have no issue with them, apart from their belief in fairy tales, and they do some good work, but it really gets on my T1TS that they dress up like and pretend to be 1%'ers. So I am thinking of creating a new riding club, something just to get in their collective smug faces. Think I will call in Bikers of Buddha, or BOB for short. hmmm, I think I will ask Rowan Atkinson to be our honourary President.

Always ask why.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

This the place you're thinking of? Located in Fruitvale???

http://www.leatherandsteel.ca/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

ceemes wrote:Well, in a couple of weeks I hit the mid point of 50, which annoys the hell out of me no end.
Young child. :mrgreen:

Wouldn't I just love to be 50 again????? :(
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:
ceemes wrote:Well, in a couple of weeks I hit the mid point of 50, which annoys the hell out of me no end.
Young child. :mrgreen:

Wouldn't I just love to be 50 again????? :(
Me, too. :)

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#10 Unread post by Jamers! »

Giving up smoking and keeping ones weight in check are great goals and will help you live long enough to complete these bucket rides twice over. Congrats on that. As the old quote goes "food can be the best medicine or the most delayed poison". Sounds like you are taking the former of the two lately and that is wonderful.

Those rides through BC look just stunning. Here in SoCal yes we have PCH but its often full of cagers in cars they dont know how to drive going much faster than they should. What i wouldnt give for some nice empty forest and small backwoods roads. Thanks for letting me explore BC via your adventures!
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF