LA, behind bars

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

LA, behind bars

#1 Unread post by Jamers! » Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Been a busy month for me. Signed up for the MSF, got back onto the forums here, purchased my first helmet, went and sat on bikes at different shops and now I have started my first ever blog.

I read Lion Lady's helmet fit guide post and I was glad I did. Set out today to just try on helmets and sit on some bikes. Ended up very pleased with the service I got at the local triumph/Ducati shop. Tried on a variety of Shoei, Bell and an AGV helmets. Have a rather large and long head i discovered! The Shoei were the only ones that were a true fit. Was between the Shoei Quest and the RF1200. In the end the Quest won out because it sat lower on my head and the sales rep commented that it covered lower on the back of my head. Was googling price points the whole time and was pleased to find that the Quest i purchased was going for 300ish online and i was out the door at $290USD. Felt like it was a good bargain. I am sitting here with it on my head, wearing it in and I haven't discovered any hot spots or issues with the hat! My trapezius muscles are a touch sore, perhaps just not used to the extra weight they are now carrying. That will become more comfortable as they get used to it I am sure.

At the Montrose Ducati dealer I didn't sit on any bikes, nothing there is my style and really they don't have any beginner bikes. Even the sales guy said this which was nice to hear that he wasen't going to try and sell me something not right for me. At the trimuph shop I did sit on the 2014 Speedmaster. It was a bike that i liked a whole lot. Very classic styling and yet a seat height low enough to flat foot. (something that is kind of a must). The tank sure is wide though, and my legs were a touch flaired out due to that. But certainly surprised there was something there that i liked outside of the bonneville. I will have to consider them when i start seriously bike hunting at the end of the May.

Went to the Glendale, CA H-D dealer next. The sales rep there was nice in that he was ok with knowing i had no intention of buying and was just sitting and gathering a feel and info for when i start my hunt in earnest later. We tried out all the sportsters. the Iron 883 is THE most popular crusier in LA, i see it all the time. Part of the reason I am not in love with it is the fact that it is so common. I wouldn't mind sticking out a touch. Also being the most popular is at the same time the most stolen according to my AAA rep. The H-D Sportster 48 sure caught my eye. A very mean looking bike that has minimal junk on it. The stripped down look and low seat height were great. Cons to the 48 were the tiny peanut tank and knowing that it wont be able to really take a passanger or bags later down the line when i want to to do trips. the 1200T and 1200ultraLow were great in that sense. Was able to flat foot it, didnt feel like the tank was encroaching on my leg room and the forward controls felt much less cramped than the controls on the 48 or the 883. (for reference i am 5'11") I look forward to seeing how the 1200 and the speedmaster feel when im moving on them.

Was pleased that I didn't encounter any pushy or rude reps and that the H-D guy didnt try and sell me on the H-D family or mindset or any of that stuff. I hope to make it to the kawasaki and yamaha shops as well and see what kind of newbie options they have too!!

Anyhow, im excited to be getting into riding and giving this writing a blog thing a shot.

Here is me in my brand new helmet writing my brand new blog. Thank goodness yall can't see my big silly smile!!
Me in my new helmet!
Me in my new helmet!
helmet150kb.jpg (108.76 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
Last edited by Jamers! on Thu May 14, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: Through the LA desert on a metal horse with no name.

#2 Unread post by Hanson » Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 am

That is a great start to your moto blog. You are recording your thoughts, experiences, and most importantly you posted a picture. We demand photographs. This will also be a great place for you to ask question, but don't be disappointed if a people don't post a lot of comments. Your blog will allow you to go back to see what you have learned and a lot of people will read your blog while almost never posting a response.

I look forward to you sharing your experiences.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Through the LA desert on a metal horse with no name.

#3 Unread post by Jamers! » Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 am

This time in two weeks i should own a motorcycle and be legally allowed to ride it. That wait is no fun, so im distracting myself by purchasing all my gear bit by bit. giving me multiple reasons to go to the shop and hang out and sit on the bikes and such.

today I went to the yamaha dealer. After becoming okay with a 500lbs 50ls/sq' 50hp bike (which wasent hard, i just had to ride the right one!!) i have read every review i can find and watched any youtube video from a credible source about the Honda ShadowRS, Iron 883 and Yamaha Bolt. From the reviews and specs list, the Bolt seems to be the best for me. I went to yamaha this afternoon, tried on some different gloves and jackets i purchased a full leather Scorpion Jacket and predominately leather Icon gloves with carbon fiber knuckles. It all felt very snug but not uncomfortably so. I tried on a few textile jackets that were more comfortable and certainly less hot but in the end I just think that if the job of a jacket is protection then you shouldn't skip out.

While i was there i sat on all 3 Bolt models and talked to the sale rep about them. When i have my license I am going to try the Bolt R-Spec as it is my #1 choice at the moment. The increased suspension travel, ABS, smoother ride and cheaper price than the HD all catch my eye. Also, on a vain note everyone and the mother seems to have an iron883. And if i can, i wouldnt mind being a bit different.

Anyhow, I also did some reading on RevZilla about different boots. Being as i only have my hiking boots to wear and they dont offer the kind of protection i would need i decided to get a pair of bike boots. I wanted protection, but nothing knee high and overly 'racey'. If they were comfy and stylish enough as to not need to haul around street shoes that would be a plus. I ended up ordering a pair of Icon Super Duty 4 boots in black. They have good reviews, have enough support and rigidity to hopefully hold up if i put it down and they dont look terrible.

All in all i spent a great deal of money, had a ton of fun and am totally geeking out. Sitting here in my jacket and helmet typing all this up. All i need is a damn bike now!! come on memorial day weekend!!

Here i am modeling my new outfit!
Attachments
20150512_232628.jpg
20150512_232628.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 10114 times

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: LA, behind bars

#4 Unread post by Jamers! » Thu May 21, 2015 7:27 pm

I got my bike today. :D :D :D :D :littlebike4: :littlebike4: :jump: :jump: :littlebike4: :roll2: :roll2:

I visited a few dealers and got the best prices i could. Ended up at my local yamaha shop. According to my sales guy they had "ordered red white and blue bolts for memorial day weekend sales but had one red too many" I was kind of hoping for a white one but when they said they needed to move the xtra red and offered $1,200 off MSRP for that red one i was in. Red looks just as good.

Had to work on em a bit to pay for destination and another nonsense fee but i ended up with a number that was under my hard limit and with a monthly payment i can manage.

YES YES we know man, tell us about the first ride.

Well here comes the let down. I had it delivered home and wont be riding it farther than my driveway until i take the MSF class this upcoming weekend. I am sure i could get around town or around the block if i tried and was super careful but i dont want to ride like that and i dont want to risk it. Why not wait the 2 days, get some skills then really enjoy it on a less nerve racking first ride.

I was surprised at how it actually sounds almost decent with stock pipes. The only thing i dont like right away is the all plastic airfilter. that will have to be swapped out soonish for something more pleasing.

Anyhow, i am so very excited and can't wait for saturday afternoon. Then i plan taking my 2015 Yamaha Bolt out for a cruise.

Obligatory picture.
Attachments
bike150.jpg
bike150.jpg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 10032 times

ATGATT

JWF

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#5 Unread post by pchast » Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Congratulations on the new bike and a great attitude. :D
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

OffRoadney
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4

#6 Unread post by OffRoadney » Thu May 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Cool helmet and congrats on the new bike. I dont have a dirt bike but i have an ATV. will post pics soon.

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#7 Unread post by jaskc78 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:08 am

Grats on the bike, and good choice waiting for the MSF course. You'll learn a lot of really good habits to get into and will definitely start off on the right foot.

On a personal note, I'm really looking forward to some feedback on the Bolt. It's definitely caught my eye and with my new disposable income, I may be shopping again sooner rather than later.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by Hanson » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am

Fantastic! Welcome back to two wheels, and you have a solid, mature, responsible plan of action.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Jamers! » Mon May 25, 2015 12:55 am

Pre
Miles YTD: 0
Miles lifetime : 0

This weekend was all about the bike for me. Friday night I had the first 3 hours of MSF lecture. Lets skip that and go to the fun part.

Saturday morning we got on our tried and true Kawasaki eliminators at the MSF range. It all came rushing back. It took a moment to get the multiple limbs coordinated but the memory of what to do was easily jarred to the surface. Went through 5 hours on saturday and 5 hours on sunday with no real issues. Never laid it down, rarely had to put a foot down either. Countersteering was my only lil hickup. I noticed that while i was pushing right on the right grip to help lean and turn right i was also pulling back on the opposite hand. It was as if i was unsure of myself and being able to do it one-handed. After a few times of taking the a turn with my opposite hand just resting on the bar i was confident again that i could countersteer properly. QuickStop braking was only a challenge in that i didnt lock either of the wheels up and they at one point were asking if i was rolling off the throttle before the cone in order to brake less severely. I assured them that i was not and that it was just a skill i was good at. Anyhow, after 10 hours of class and 10 hours of bike, i passed. WOOHOO, licensed and safely instructed rider ahoy!

Had to make a concerted effort to not tear the rode up on the drive home. Got on my bike and it was time to play. Having never ridden this bike and perhaps just a tinge worried it would be too big i was extremely cautious and slow the first 20-30min. I would engage the clutch just enough to get going and walk with the bike as it pulled me forward and chugged for more gas. I am sure it looked a bit silly to see me 'walk riding' my bike down the block then awkwardly 3-pointing to go back the other direction but i am glad i did it that way. By the time i was ready to cruise around the block(s) i had a pretty good feeling of where the friction zone is and how long it is. Important for me as i live in a very hilly area. that friction zone is how i am going to hold the bike as i get going on some of those hills i wager.

I found a lot of sweet streets in my neighborhood that are wide, with minimal traffic. I rode them in a serpentine pattern for a bit, just getting used to how the bolt felt when i leaned it and how it responded to rolling on the throttle. (spoiler, it has more pep than the eliminator!) I rode up and down a few of the medium grade hills and was glad to find that on the downhill i can leave it in second to hold the proper speed without applying any throttle. At the crest of one of the hills there is a stop sign into a left hand turn. I stalled out twice in my attempt to grab the bike and get it upright. With no one behind me i sat for a moment and then it came to me. For a sharp turn at slow speeds counterlean. So i leaned right and eased into the friction zone. The bike caught, took me over the crest of the hill and into the flat of the next street. I felt like a dummy for forgetting that so soon, though it did come back when i started to think about why i was struggling.

For my last lil jaunt of the day i texted a friend who rides a H-D 883. We were going to meet at a local s-bucks have a coffee and let him see my new ride. The only issue, this would require leaving residential streets and hitting the main drag. I wouldn't say i was scared so much as just a lil nervous about putting everything into practice at such a faster and more crowded area. To my surprise it wasen't nearly as bad as my mind had worked it up to be. I was actually able to work out the SIPDE process while i was on the road. It was much more active mentally than i thought it would be but i was pretty certain that i had control and a plan the whole time. Got to the s-bucks and was feeling really good. Parked right in front and sat outside so everyone could see how badass i was. HA!

I rode for about an hour mostly on residential streets and ventured into the big road only twice. That being said, it was great! There were a lot of times i made great turns, looking all the way through and applying throttle as i hitting the apex and even at 20-25mph it was just as i remember. A few times on long roads i opened it up and just felt like how i always wanted it to feel.

I arrived safely back at my house and the only complaints for the day were lack of sunlight and sweating through a favorite t-shirt.

I made a list of things i need to get having spent the weekend riding;

overpants(purchased on revzilla an hour ago)
reflective vest(purchased with overpants,i debated this but in the end, if i get hit by a car i want to be able to say that i did everything i could to avoid that happening so i need to be bright!)

a package or two of thin quick drying athletic type shirts to wear under my jacket.
a bright colored backpack to hold sunscreen, clean shirt, cribbage board and other needs.
a scrub brush to get the grime off of my hands that soap and water seems to be failing to do.
a tinted visor, preferably with UV protection.

Was a GREAT day!

Post;
Miles YTD: 23.3
Miles lifetime: 23.3
Attachments
Firstride.jpg
Firstride.jpg (145.71 KiB) Viewed 9794 times

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Jamers! » Mon May 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Pre:
Miles YTD: 23.3
Miles Lifetime: 23.3

Another great day around town. Got up early and got right to riding. Took the main drag to the next town, giving big revs to lil kids on their way to the parade. Parked along the route and reved and enjoyed a wonderful parade for memorial day. Did some short jaunts across town after that. Couple of errands to do. After that, i took an scenic ride home. In part because that is what you should do on a bike and also to avoid a pretty hairy left turn. ha! Got a touch lost in the hills of La Canada and was pleased to find big gorgeous old homes nestled between some entry level type twisties. Rode those for a bit working on turning my head and pushing on my bars to lean my new bike. Glad to say that it felt good and didnt have to recorrect very often, thought that may also be because i was doing at most 30mph. Still a hoot.

Getting the hang of hill starts(which is good considering i live in foothills!) I have been able all day to keep my right foot on the brake and get going with ease using the friction zone to hold the bike as i left off the pedal. Not even shaky and requiring my left foot to stay down for balance/catching. Overall i had a great day. On a gear note i wore a quikDry type running shirt and it came out unfased. Much better than the cotton T i wore yesterday. So i have found a problem to my sweat stains post riding.

Last night i ordered a orange vest, some overpants and a tinted visor. I think, i hope for now that the spending it done. I only went over my total budget a touch but i shall be picking up some OT the next few weeks that is for sure.

Can't wait for tomorrow and some more two wheeled goodness.

Miles Lifetime: 65.5

Met with a friend for a quick hello and tea between errands. Thought we should show off something hotter than our mugs!
Attachments
bikez!.jpg
bikez!.jpg (144.35 KiB) Viewed 9770 times

ATGATT

JWF

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#11 Unread post by pchast » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Sounds like a great day!
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Jamers! » Tue May 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Pre:
miles YTD: 65.5
mile Lifetime: 65.5

Just a quick update. Rode home from poker last night in the dark. Luckily the main streets are well let and i borrowed a safety vest. I think night cruising may be in my future. something about the cool air, the lack of people it all just felt right. Today i rode my street route to work, Burbank is a bit more challenging than my lil neighborhood. More crazies making turns they arent allowed to and people changing lanes without the blinker. yikes! but slow and with good spacing and i felt just fine. Did a lil ride in the country this afternoon, working on lean and predicting how to handle a curve. Then to end the day i took it on the freeway. Granted for less than a mile but it got it up to 65 and it didnt scare me and i wasent as nervous as i thought i would be. I chose a segment where you dont have to change lanes to get on or off which was nice.

Things i need to work on are finding the right speed before entering a curve and remembering to take uphill turns from a stop slow and counterlean. Twice today on uphill spot turns i scrapped my right peg having to lean extra hard due too excessive speed. Gotta just take those babies in first and not crank the throttle.

Another fun day of keeping the rubber side down.

Miles Lifetime: 136.8

ATGATT

JWF

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#13 Unread post by Hanson » Thu May 28, 2015 11:18 am

Congrats Jamers ... it is wonderful to be riding.

I liked the comments about working on skills. When I come to a stop it is always left foot down and right foot on the break unless I mess up. Try to keep the tires just to the left of centre so that your left foot is not in the oil patch in the centre of the road.

Keep posting your experiences and pictures even if few get a response.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#14 Unread post by Jamers! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:21 pm

Pre:
Miles YTD: 136.8
Miles Lifetime: 136.8

Been riding for a whole week now YAY!. :kicking: :littlebike1: :bike6:

Things i have learned in these 7 days have been many, i put for me a fairly heavy amount of miles on my machine in a 7 day period. First and foremost, Zootech one said this to me and i remember it well; "don't let a motorcycle take you somewhere your head wasn't at 5 seconds earlier." Too darn true. I have had a few slip ups and oh my moments this week. Glad i still have that bag of luck with me and trying to fill the experience bag before it runs out!

First off, commuting is not my cup of tea. I usually ride my bicycle to work and i think i shall continue to do that for financial reasons as well as the fact that sitting in traffic and putting on all the gear and storing the gear hardly seems worth it for a 10 min hop to the grind. If i am going to get up earlier to get ready to ride i may as well just ride my pedalbike. That being said, the around town errands and just around town riding as well as the commute to work have been great learning. Having the roads on the early AM allows me to practice searching scanning and looking for danger and practice riding alongside cars and trucks without the craze that is rush hour. It has been a pleasant ease into riding on the main roads. Still though, it just doesnt do it for me. I like to cruise, i like the wind in my hair and the feeling of the back roads and the smaller state route highways. Tis why i got a mini cruiser or baby bagger and why I don't need to go 150mph or get my knee down. I like cruising. Commuting is not cruising. At all

I did notice the first few days that i was being perhaps too worried about the fellow folks on the road. I needed to and need to continue to ride my ride and while i look out and predict and try to avoid others i need to not let that take me away from what i am doing. What do i mean? Yesterday on the early am ride into the hospital i have a downgrade slopping right turn of an offramp from the interstate. I did my SMOG and moved into the exit lane and right behind me a pickup moved over and got real close. I was beginning to decelerate and tapped my front brake a few time to try and entice him to back off but it was no use. He was RIGHT behind me. It made me very nervous to have someone that close at the higher speeds. I continue to slow down but instead of braking, shifting for engine braking then braking routine i prefer to do i slightly panicked. I was worried that i was going to downshift and end up going to slow for this guy and get rear ended. I ended up just braking and clutching and did not brake nearly enough. As we moved down the offramp i tried to calm myself and do my turn but i knew i was going to fast. I shifted down to second but did not engage it as by the time i was even close to second speeds i was at the turning part. I looked, leaned and did my best. I was fearfull that if i had engaged my clutch i would have jerked from the heavy engine braking and either low sided or been rear ended. Instead i coasted through it and tried to lean. I ended up with the inside of my wheels on the outside of the Left lane marker and then swung back into the lane and got back into gear as the turn exited. With no traffic it was a harmless scare yet a very real wake up that i need to brake and control my speed, tailgaters be damned. If a car had been in that Left lane chances are i would have at THE LEAST clipped their mirror with my body and that doesn't sound like a good time.

Interstate riding isn't as bad as i was thinking it might be. It isn't much fun either though. I don't have the fastest bike nor all that much desire to go much beyond the limit so i stick to the right and second to right lanes at 65-70mph. Passing when i need and moving over at onramps but not doing much in terms of getting going and really getting into the end of those higher gears and the left lanes. While i have avoided the especially hairy freeways so far it still isn't all that comfortable. I am just so damn small and those trucks so damn big! ah! And its loud, i need some earplugs if i am going to start doing longer stints on them.

Today i went for a ride into the hills near my home. Looked it up and found what is considered the easiest of the runs. Little Tujunga Canyons. A 18 mile canyon road through the lower section Angeles national forest. It was fun! After leaving the homes and the traffic it was nice to just focus on the riding, oh what I was doing. No cross traffic, no driveways just me working on looking, leaning and gauging speeds and curves. I was really smiling for this ride. I was reminded a couple of times that you can never hit anything to slow when i had to roll off and make correctional adjustments in curves i was going to fast into. I kept wanting to get the bike into 3rd gear due to the straining it seemed to be making when i was doing 30mph in second. Though thinking now, i took first to 35 to get onto a freeway today and second to 50 so perhaps its not nearly as big of a deal as i make it out to be. Not to mention when in third if i ended up slowing in the turn i would hear it clunk and need gas badly. I KNOW i know i need to get my speed right before the turn and roll on as i go through. And if i am going to fast i need to lean more, i know. It just doesn't happen in a week. : ) I did lean a bit more than i thought i could/would. Scrapped both pegs a couple of times on long angled turns. Was surprised that i did that! I kept trying to get my head over the inside mirror as i made the turn to force my body to lean. I don't think i was too successful. I am sure a more experienced rider could lean my bike with ease on the shorter turns on this road but i did not. Most of the turns required minimal lean and just enough to turn and then straighten. I was a touch bummed in that i was hoping to plunge my bike into some turns and really try and lean. Perhaps my bike and or my style isnt the plunging type. I didn't stray out of my lane one way or the other at all which was very nice. Got a nice fun yet educational ride in. a GREAT ride if you ask me.

Biggest whoopsie of the week happened just an hour ago on my turn to my street. Turning left on the main drag uphill to my cross street i stalled it bad as i began the turn. i had the bars cranked left and my body open to the turn to help it lean and make the sharp turn at slow speed. It certainly did that. As i stalled it i was leaned a lot to the left. I had to plant my foot and really catch the whole bike. I hauled it upright, restarted and made sure to give EXTRA gas the next time. Yet again, reinforcing that i need practice turning at slow speed, especially from a stop and when going uphill. I plan to spend a bit of time tomorrow in JPLs extra parking lot working on just that and probably some quick stops. Something I have yet to do but something i was to experience in a safe setting before i really need it.

Here is a view point rest stop on the ride through little tujunga canyon today! Also, an early turn out on ACH the other day.

Miles Lifttime: 302.2
Attachments
ACHlongshot.jpg
ACHlongshot.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 8219 times
First ride into Little Tujunga Canyon.
First ride into Little Tujunga Canyon.
lilTJC.jpg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

ATGATT

JWF

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#15 Unread post by Hanson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:17 am

Looking great Jamers, and you are thinking and learning.

I wish I could find some place that nice to ride that close to my home. You are a luck man.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#16 Unread post by Jamers! » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Pre
Miles YTD: 302.2
Miles Lifttime: 302.2

Been doing more and more riding the last week. My confidence is really starting to flow. The first few weeks i was carefully planning my routes to avoid tricky streets, almost all left turns and anywhere that has increased hazards. This week i haven't gone reckless but i have let myself take the same routes i would if i was driving. That has been great. I havent had any hiccups which has me feeling great. The biggest issue i have had this week is something that i suspect will be working on for a while. I find that on turns, from big sweepers on the canyons to the 90degree from a stoplight; i dont always have the right gear or speed picked out. Today while up in the canyons of Azuza i was doing pretty darn well on what i was told was an intermediate twisty range. I was going MUCH slower than my friend on his ZX10R but even still i was having fun. A few issues though, I would say its 60-40 that i have the right line and speed picked for a turn. I am finding that i have to straighten the bike, go a bit wide then drop back into a lean in order to stay at my speed( a powerful 35mph) and stay on my side of the road. This is an improvement over what i was doing two weeks ago of rolling off or just clutching it through a turn to dump speed. I hope to continue to increase my comfort with leaning and maintaining my speed and line that what. I would say TWICE i picked a big sweeper perfect. I was in a good lean the whole way and making sure to maintain throttle and rolling on a bit as i hit the apex. it was an AMAZING feeling. It lasted long enough for me to go through my progression and know that at that moment, i was riding and riding well! i leaned my bottom over, got my head and torso over the ignition and kept my head up and eyes on the far end of the turn. so much fun! so thats what sportbike riders are addicted to huh?

As my turns around town and in the canyons have increased i have of course had to lean a bit more. I have noticed an increase in scraping my pegs or my foot on some of the slower turns or turns heading uphill. While i have yet (and hope i just dont) have a panic moment, i have had to remind myself to keep my legs up against the tank and toes pointed in to help increase the minimal clearance i seem to have. Anyhow, i have taken those sounds as lil reminders that im doing it right. Leaning the bike instead of rolling off. : D

Did a big chunk of interstate riding today, about 55miles. I still dont love it, but getting into the carpool lane or finding a nice speed limit abiding truck to follow has helped. I still dont enjoy the crazy drivers of LA highways and i would prefer a backroad or a State freeway. But i am starting to feel alright about getting on the big ones.

I seem to have cured my numbness problem in my right hand. I position my hand a bit different. using more of the thenar space to grasp the actually throttle. When on an area where speed increases are modest i just pinch it with that and leave my fingers gently splayed out across the brake. It had reduced my discomfort a lot. When in a series of back to back to back type turns in the canyons i did experience some moderate numbness as i fully gripping the throttle to make adjustments and braking before turns. Even during this, i was attempting to have soft hands and not death grip it. Big Improvement in that area.

I am just about up for my first maintenance and i am feeling great about the bike. I am not sure it would love me as much if it could talk. Sometimes i know i keep it in a gear i perhaps shouldnt and i have to really roll on hard to keep it from laboring when im turning. Also all the engine braking around town, poor lil red guy.

Here are some shots from my 60mile canyon run this AM. Glad we did it early in the day when it was mostly empty and still cool out.

I also had a zinger against some tank top wearing 1000RR riding tool. while getting fuel he looks me over and says something to the extent of 'nice vest, its cute' So i look up and in a moment of wit brilliance fire back 'bro, dont you know Orange is the New black?' I was pleased with myself

Miles Lifttime: 529.0

George's ZX10R and My Bolt in the Azuza Canyon and me on my scoot.
Attachments
azuzaME.jpg
azuzaME.jpg (148.81 KiB) Viewed 8113 times
azuzaSmall.jpg
azuzaSmall.jpg (149.7 KiB) Viewed 8113 times

ATGATT

JWF

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#17 Unread post by blues2cruise » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:03 am

Your orange vest looks great. And yes...your comeback was good. :)

Your excitement about riding made me remember when I first started. So much enthusiasm. :D It's nice.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#18 Unread post by Hanson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:18 am

I have to ride about 300 miles into Oklahoma to find an environment that looks that good. You are lucky to live where you live. Enjoy!

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by Jamers! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Pre
Miles YTD: 529.0
Miles Lifetime: 529.0

Been a bit since an update. Took a nice long ride down to Del Mar, CA this last weekend to get some time in surfing and get some time in at opening day at the track. Get to that in a moment. I was sitting about a week ago on a ride up a local scenic rode when i got a message from a friend. i was sitting at the top replying to texts and he had said to me 'HEY! you have missed our tennis match for 5 weeks now! Whats up!?'. It dawned on me that If i had free time i was out riding. I had missed my tennis games, i was MIA at the gym and i was behind in my books. I was having a hoot riding all the time. But i have other things i like too.

So i tried something. I put my bike into my carport covered it and didnt ride it for a week. I made my tennis games, struggled at the gym again and finished my book (Love in the time of Cholera, great read especially if you are going to colombia soon!). Anyhow, after a week of enjoying my other hobbies I hopped back on my scoot and just took a simple little ride around a pristine and scenic neighborhood in a nearby city. I enjoyed it more, much more. The time away from it even just a short bit made it all new again in a sense. It was wonderful and probably healthy to get some balance back into my life.

On Wednesday of last week I got up early, washed and waxed my bike in prep for my ride. (Cant be looking dirty on the PCH!) I must admit i had never hand waxed something before and i learned that a dab will do ya. I way over applied and had to do it twice. In the end though, it came out nice and shiny.
bikeandbassett.jpg

I mounted up and headed south. My route was going to be about 75 minutes on an interstate then i would be able to get off that junk and onto a smaller state road for some scenic twists and better riding through temecula towards Escondido and then encinitas. About 50 mins in i was squirming. If there was a slow down i was stand way up on the pegs and try to shake some blood back into my butt. I was almost constantly sitting up, then slouching then leaning forward. All trying to get comfy in the saddle. I had read reviews before i got this bike that the OEM seat was not meant for longer rides. Being a bobber urban crusier (whatever that means) i suppose its expected. I did some googling later and i know the saddle im going to save up for. Rated as much more comfy, looks better and adds the passenger seat so i can strap some luggage to the bike without scuffing the rear fender. I was able to find some ok positions that i could maintain for a decent period. It took me a while but it dawned on me that my gloves are tacky leather, they will grip the grip without me gripping it too hard. being able to just hold it open with my palm and laying my fingers over the brake allowed my hand to feel just find. Though for $10 bucks i may invest in a throttle rocker anyhow for cursing trips and see if its better.

I have wanted to order up a small fork bag for a while. To keep things like emergency shades, benedryl, tire gauge, cards etc. I found a new thing i need to add. masking tape. So i can write down directions. I got lucky that the place i stopped to eat at had some!
directionssmall.jpg
directionssmall.jpg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
Had no issues with the bike, had no issues on the road EXCEPT that traffic on the big super slabs is dangerous. I also tried my hand at lane splitting a bit. With a bad accident keeping my flat footed for over 5 minutes i thought 'what the hell, give it a shot'. i probably went .5 of a mile before it freaked me out too much and i pulled back into line and just waited my turn. I didn't like it. Didnt clip anything or have any close calls really it was just nerve racking and not worth the extra few minutes if you ask me.

I did some cruising up and down North San Diego County but like a goof i didn'tget any good pics. on my last cruise up before heading north yesterday on the freeway i snapped this guy just so i could have something. It was 275miles, my longest trip/days so far. And i cant wait to do it again!
beachbike.jpg
beachbike.jpg (146.03 KiB) Viewed 7997 times

Miles Lifetime: 1093

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#20 Unread post by Jamers! » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Just a quick update. Haven't ridden my Bolt in over 2 weeks. Because i was in Cartagena Colombia on Vacation. I did manage to get behind two wheels. One day my friends and i found a tour that included being ridden by the guides into the Sierra Nevadas behind Santa Marta to a private beach for scuba diving. I insisted i could ride my own bike. Here i am riding a 100c Suzuki motobike through a barrio in Santa Marta. It had an all down transmission, over 200K kilometers on the odo and a LOT of play in the clutch. was quite an experience.
Attachments
ColombiaSmall.jpg
ColombiaSmall.jpg (146.44 KiB) Viewed 7927 times

ATGATT

JWF