Stories and Whatnot (mag7c)

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

Stories and Whatnot (mag7c)

#1 Unread post by Mag7C »

Ok I've never kept an online journal so we'll see how it goes.

For starters I have an '86 magna 700.

Best machine ever!!!
Last edited by Mag7C on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by Mag7C »

A couple days back I was supposed to meet some people for a night out. Long story short, nobody felt like doing anything so we all left.

I really didn't want to go back home, so I went for a ride instead despite the heavy rain. Very very peaceful. Hardly anyone else on the road. The raindrops all light up and I watch them splash on the headlight. Put my foot down a couple times to feel the road. Slicker than snot. No close encounters with deer surprisingly, and no trouble taking the corners slow. Just a nice easy ride. Overall the best two hours I've spent alone in a long time.

I stop at a gas station soaking wet on the frontside but not too cold (thank god for wool pants). The attendant knows hondas so we talk about them for a bit. My jacket looks like I'd been lying face down in a puddle. He laughs, points toward the sky, and says jokingly "Picked the wrong night to ride huh?"

Naaaah. :wink:

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by Mag7C »

So yeah I almost got ran over today. That was fun.

I was at a stopsign to cross a 5 lane highway (2 west, turning lane, 2 east). The car across from me was waiting to make a left, so when there was an opening it went. The next SUV in line was also wanting to make a left. Why it thinks it has right of way I don't know. Not only was I there first, but I'm going straight whereas it's taking a left. It's double my right of way.

So at the next opening I start to cross and about halfway there sure enough it decides to go. Cuts right in front of me, then sees what it's doing and panic brakes, effectively creating a barricade. Wow what an excellent evasive maneuver you frikin whale. Fortunately I was able to swerve left and cross the rest of the highway without getting hit.

So I spent a little while driving down the left shoulder of that road before someone would let me cross to the right lane. But whatever I'm not dead so yay.

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by Mag7C »

Went on a 300+ mile ride today just for the hell of it. Left the house and just kept riding. No breaks except for gas. Went on the interstate for the first time. That was traumatizing at first but surprisingly nobody tried to kill me. Rode mountain pass in the dark. Much fun! The trees were raining leaves the whole way. Very pretty. Longest ride I've done so far.

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by Mag7C »

Blargh I didn't ride at all yesterday. Getting all twitchy...

Must go now!

blair
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by blair »

Mag7C wrote:Went on a 300+ mile ride today just for the hell of it. Left the house and just kept riding. No breaks except for gas. Went on the interstate for the first time. That was traumatizing at first but surprisingly nobody tried to kill me. Rode mountain pass in the dark. Much fun! The trees were raining leaves the whole way. Very pretty. Longest ride I've done so far.
Interstate gets easier. Maybe too much easier. I now ride interstate in about the same mood as when I'm in my car.

I don't want my car dinged, and I don't want to die, so in both the car and on the bike I keep an eye out for preventable unexpected events. I have to be extra alert in the car because it's a bigger target with less margin for avoiding the most-likely errors. I have to be extra alert on the bike because it's a higher risk with more cost for the least-likely errors. So I'm at about the same level of alertness regarding the attentiveness and intentions of other people on the road.

So it's the same mood. But it's not complacency.
'93 Honda VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by Mag7C »

I also noticed there's sort of an extra lane on the far left. Emergency/breakdown lane maybe? I stayed over to that side so I always had an exit but still it was a bit stressful.

In other news I caught a bee in the throat about an hour ago at 65mph. That didn't feel good! In fact it still doesn't feel good... If it goes anything like my other bee stings I'll have a huge ol' bruise there for a couple days that I can make up stories about. :D

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by Mag7C »

Finally replaced my good old comfy riding sneakers today with a pair of boots. They aren't advertised for motorcycling, but are high ankled sturdy leather and I think they're cop boots so I figure they're just as good. Not only do my feet stand a better chance of staying attached in a wreck, but I can now kick in doors with style.

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by Mag7C »

Ice Ice!

THis morning I had my first experience on the bike with black ice. Usually in these conditions I would borrow a car, but glancing out the window it really didn't look too bad.

Fortunately I usually take the corner at the bottom of my house at 30mph anyway. Hit a big slick of invisible ice and the bike slid, regained a bit of traction, then slid again. I drifted to the other side of the road and fortunately didn't dump it. Took the rest of the ride at 35 tops on the straights and only had one more minor slip.

Thinking back I probably should've known. It had rained like no other the day before and so froze overnight. But I had a new experience that didn't result in learning the hard way so it's good.

If I had more money I'd buy some studded tires. Until then I'm paying better attention to the weather!

Mag7C
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by Mag7C »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'm quite sure bike season just officially died. I can take the cold but it dumped a load of snow and the roads are one solid ice sheet. :cry:

Seriously going to have to just sit in the garage and start it up every couple days to keep my sanity.

Winter is so pretty but damn the ice.