sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Re: A south African Blog

#11 Unread post by sapaul »

I last posted on this blog in 2006, I need a smack around the head. these days I just don't have time. I though I would share a story with my friends though because I think you will understand.

Have you ever just got into that groove where everything is just right. You, the bike, the weather, the road, just everything comes together and you get that perfect moment, those perfect riding conditions that only come along only so often.

I had just a moment recently. As you know I am a bike Marshal and we do duty at various events. One of these happens in the Cape region of SA, which is about 1450 kms from where I live. They needed a full contingent down there and some of the Cape town guys could not get leave, so 4 of us went down. 2 of us decided to ride, 2 went with car and trailer.

On the last day of the tour, we got permission to sneak off early to give us a head start on the way back. This meant leaving CPT around 2:30, riding 530 kms and getting to our destination before dark, which happens around 6:30 in the evening.

So duly off we go. My mate and I know each other well and our riding styles, him on his trusty Bandit, me on my trusty GS. By the time the first refuel came, he needed to rest a little longer than me, bear in mind he is over 65 and had just done a 5 day tour. We decide i will go ahead and make sure that B&B arrangements are all sorted.

Now I have a secret weapon, THE GOOSE, the most capable woman on the planet. I reached a small town 185 kms away from our destination and by this time it was 5:00 pm. A quick call to The Goose and she would make arrangements for our overnighter.

I left the little town of Laingsburg at 5:00 to do next 185 Kms and an hour later I called The Goose to let her know I was in Beaufort West, our destination.

This was one of those times that will stay in memory, every part of the puzzle just came together. The wind was non existent, it was cool, the bike was in world of it's own and there was no rush, it just glided along with no traffic to worry about, the road was clear for Km after Km. I rode with an empty head with every fibre of me concentrated on the riding, and it felt easy. I have felt this before, but on the track when the corners were just right and the lines spot on and the feedback from the bike was 100%

As I write these words, my fervent wish is that you may also experience this, whatever the speed or conditions, that you can reach a place when you truly feel one with your machine, when no other thoughts or feelings can intrude.

Maybe, just maybe, there are some extreme sports people that will go through this, but I honestly believe only a biker will understand.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#12 Unread post by dr_bar »

I traveled a mere 85km and I really don't remember much of the road, I was so into the ride, it was me and a yellow centreline...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#13 Unread post by High_Side »

Wow- I can't believe that I missed this one the first time around! Great pics buddy and awesome travels - I was kind of wondering why you never had a blog but somehow missed it. I know that you love your GS but that K12 was a sweet bike. Looking forward to more regular updates.

Cheers,

Bruce

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#14 Unread post by sapaul »

I too loved the K12S, unfortunately it was an expensive bike as a tourer, you know how I lurve my long distance stuff. I had the K12S for 23 months and went through 4 front tyres and 10 (yeah 10) rears in just over 40 000 kms. Cost wise at current rates that was over 3 000 of your Dollars. The GS gets around 14 000 kms on the rear , I have just replaced the first rear on the R12R at 14 000 kms and the 600RR got about 8 000 on the first rear.

That and the fact that the K12S is just too bloody fast for an old fart like me. It is the only bike I ever got tunnel vision on, between 260 and 280 I had no peripheral vision at all.

I will mention however that the Hossack suspension by far is the best of all the hyper tourers, there is nothing to compare.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#15 Unread post by sapaul »

Sho, and yet another tour

Sadly this time I could not get to do the whole thing. The tour started beside the Kruger park and ended in JHB where I got to ride the weekend.

Saturday morning was a cold wet start, constant rain from the night before and our whole area had an electrical blackout, so you can just imagine me getting up at 6 in the morning, stumbling around in the dark, tripping over my boots and then sitting on the dog, who never fails to jump in my spot on the bed as soon as I get up. Just as well I have a gas stove, that 1st coffee cleared out the cobwebs and got me going.

SmS's back and forth, a revised start time and I have to ride one and a half to two hours just to get to the start at Hartebeesport dam

We are basically riding a couple of hundred Kms around the dam with a group of international riders. For now just a few pics to show you what we get up to.
Attachments
Mzansi1.jpg

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000