Divide, Conquer, and Desmodromic

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

The VFR WORKS!! We tore the carbs completely down and gave it a hellova cleaning. The oil looked like burned coffee... crazy stuff.

Copied from my buddy's post on VFRDiscussion, because I am too lazy to re-type :)
by Velicos:
"I'll post my VFR story to say thanks for the members that post here and maybe my experience will give some insight to new buyers looking to pickup a used VFR. To start I'm a "noob" with riding and motorcycles in general. I took my state MSF course so I'm certified to ride in a parking lot, hurray...

Last week - see an eBay auction for a 94 VFR750F w/ 25k miles listed for $2,500 US. The description included that the bike needs some "TLC" (change oil, brake pads, etc) and gave pictures that made it seem the bike was put down on the right side with harsh fairing damage.

So we pickup the bike and what we got is what was listed in the description (needs some TLC...and some cosmetic help). Yea..... some tlc......

PROBLEMS
-------------
1) No hydraulic clutch pressure
2) No start condition
3) Dead battery
4) Clutch chatter at idle? (in neutral)

Kinda feeling like we both got into something we're going to regret and have to spend a lot of money on to fix....or do we....

SOLUTIONS
--------------
1) Tore down master clutch cylinder and cleaned out reservoir and all adjacent parts. Followed the service manuals clutch bleeding procedure - bam, we have a functioning clutch.
2) Checked spark plugs, carbon fouled. Pointed us to the air filter, air filter has never been changed in its lifetime. Ants could of made a nice nest in how much dirt has clogged up. Ran the K&N air filter through a cleaning kit and brought it back to a point of it being useful. Replace spark plugs. Still resulted in a no-start condition. Pulled old fuel out, added new fuel. No-go. So fuel delivery is the problem, we know it - we just don't want to admit it. We pick out Friday as a good day to tear into the carbs and give everything a good cleaning. Find out all starter jets were clogged. Re-assemble carbs and air filter contraption. Hold down starter....no start condition. Hold down starter some more....start uttering some dark and dirty words at the bike....still no start. Right when I was about to give up and throw the towel in for the afternoon BAM the motor came to life and started rev'ing and screaming. Immediately adjusted the idle to give it a healthy and stable 1,200 rpms to warm up on. We're feeling pretty good right about now, if it required work beyond this it would be out of my technical ability and we would of had to tow it to a dealer..... ehhh.... change the oil and top off fluids - she's alive! The oil that was in there was as dark as anything I've ever seen before come out of a motor...whoever owned this bike previously deserves bad things to happen to them....
3) $120.00 US later..... owie!!
4) Seems to be normal
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/inde ... c=21582&hl

So after fixing all of the issues the previous owners created for us, we now have a re-born VFR750 that we got a great price and was able to fix everything in the garage with basic tools. Great forum, was the only thing that really kept me going through this ordeal and supplied me with the information needed and what things to look for."
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#22 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Finally! Both of the interceptors were working at the same time today!

We got the titles all set up on Friday. I now officially own the red interceptor, and my buddy owns the blue one.

We struggled with some electrical gremlins on the older one this weekend, but got them worked out. Went out riding about 10 times in 2 days (the breaks were for food, water, electrical gremlins, and pool time, oh, and more food).

We caught a lot of nice empty roads with some decent twists to them, and managed to open them up a bit on a long straight road with no cars whatsoever.

All I can say is "WOW". The VFR750 is quite the beast. I did a roll on after taking the corner in first, from about 15 mph to 75mph, in what was between 3 and 4 seconds. It was just "shift, vroom, shift, vroom, DANG! I'm going 75!"

I really can't see myself needing more power. I didn't even necessarily want this much, but it was a good deal that worked for everyone. I got a bigger bike, and my buddy got A bike. lol. I still would have been happy with a Ducati, but this is just as good in my opinion, and I get to keep my beloved V-4 engine design!

The seating position on the VFR is a bit more aggressive than the VF, so I'm still working on remembering to hold myself with my legs to keep the pressure off my wrists.

Here is a picture of us from last week after working on the bikes ALL DAY, so I felt really gross at this point. Mostly just getting everything tip-top on the red one. We ALWAYS ride with full gear, we just hopped on them like this for the picture, so no need to question our gear-wearing ;)

2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#23 Unread post by VermilionX »

congrats!

and it's red/black. :D
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#24 Unread post by Sev »

Aww man, I'm jealous. One of the guys I ride with has an '04 VFR and those are amazing bikes. Very nice find, and I'm glad she works well for you!

More piccies!!!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#25 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I'm excited! I just put a bid on a house today. It is really weird! I find out tomorrow by 5 if they accept the bid or counter-offer.

The house showed really well. Brand new paint, roof, etc. Tile throughout the house, corner lot, garden tub and a shower stall in the master bath. 460 sq ft garage :) I can't wait! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works out

Those are the current owner's cars.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#26 Unread post by VermilionX »

DivideOverflow wrote:I'm excited! I just put a bid on a house today. It is really weird! I find out tomorrow by 5 if they accept the bid or counter-offer.

The house showed really well. Brand new paint, roof, etc. Tile throughout the house, corner lot, garden tub and a shower stall in the master bath. 460 sq ft garage :) I can't wait! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works out

Those are the current owner's cars.
good luck!

:D
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#27 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Thanks!

I just got the call, they accepted our bid in full!! We close in 30 days. I can't wait. I'm getting all new bedroom furniature and stuff, my parents are giving me a washer-dryer, and I already have a nice livingroom set.

My roommate and I are gonna build a deck in the back with a jacquzzi tub and a grill. He just got a nice stainless steel one for graduation.

I'll get lots of pics in the near future (preferably with my bike around the house! haha)
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#28 Unread post by Sev »

I'm looking forward to the bike in the bathroom shot. Just because.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#29 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

House update: I hate... HATE underwriters.

Everything was fine, we were supposed to close on Friday (yesterday), but the underwriters from the lender came 2 days before closing with some BS problem. I recognized this as a shitty way for them to try and get more money, so I dropped them completely, pushed back closing, and went with another lender. EAT THAT!

My mortgage broker didn't even call me ALLLLL day on friday... said he was in training or something. I'm like "WTF mate, we are CLOSING TODAY" (or so I thought). So he is fired too. He couldn't even call me on a break to tell me what's up? His processor was no help... no one could let me know what they were doing to fix the situation. So... yeah, gone! No money for you.

I decided to pull a favor from a friend of the family... it is nice to know people with connections. I'm just hoping everything works out and I can move in next week! This whole ordeal is driving me nuts. It is really cutting in to my riding time.

Speaking of which, my roomie and I went for a ride today. It was hot as balls outside. We headed over to the local MC dealership and went and sat on pretty bikes. They had a used BMW K1200R in stock! It was gorgeous! If I had the $12k they were asking, it would be in my garage. I really dig the styling and the feel (and the 163hp).

Alas, I don't need to spend that much money on a bike. But that R1200R on the front page of TMW right now also strikes my fancy... and is probably a little more reasonable of a ride. I've also always had a thing for the boxer engines. Bah, who am I fooling, I would get a Ducati Monster if I was going to spend that much money :-) (unless I found a good deal).
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#30 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I filled up the VFR on my last ride... and I only managed 35 mpg :shock:

Granted, I've done a lot of idling (adjusting idle, fixing the choke, etc)... and as far as my riding has been going, heh, I have to say it has been only city, and pretty aggressive riding at that.
That, and it has been REALLY hot lately.

I'm expecting about 45mpg under normal conditions... Heck, I managed 41mpg on the VF700 on a group ride that was 100% aggressive... haha. I think I spent the majority of the time above 5000rpms.

I do still need to replace the air filter on the VFR... it is a K&N, but it was completely caked when I got the bike. I just cleaned it the best I could. It is always something!

The KZ650 only averages between 30 and 40 (usually closer to 30). Granted, it is an old, old bike... but I'm thinking it is some time for a bit of carb work on that one too.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale