Divide, Conquer, and Desmodromic

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

Divide, Conquer, and Desmodromic

#1 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

*EDIT* My Ducati Portion of the Blog picks up on page 4. Pages 1-3 are regarding my Honda VF700F and VFR750 Interceptors!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the new beginning; the point upon which I compare the future.
After waiting all week/weekend, I was finally able to go pick up my brand new old 1984 VF700F Interceptor. This bike is the epitome of my riding style.

We started slow today.

I approached the Interceptor slowly, respecting it's personal space.

I formally introduced myself, and we looked eye to eye.

Upon much deliberation, I finally decided to mount the beast. (The deliberation was in the form of adjusting the throttle cable, changing the fuel hoses, doing a once-over on the electrical system, and checking all the vital fluids).

With all formalities aside, it was time to become formally acquainted.

Basically, I've been waiting a week for this bike. The guy I bought it from was using it as his primary mode of transportation, but he wanted to get his other bike working; same model, but he has done the works from the frame up (powder coating to perfect paint, etc). So he decided to sell 2 of his interceptors so he would have time to work on the nice one. I was supposed to pick it up on Saturday, but he was still trying to clean it up, long story short, I got it today!

I rode the bike from his place in Winter Park to my apartment at UCF, about 25 miles away, did another 20 miles around the area for fun, then took another 25 mile trip to my parents house to put it in their garage and steal some food. The bike worked flawlessly, and it was comfortable throughout!

I already ordered a modification to increase the amount of oil that gets to the cams (a common problem for this year and model). Hopefully that will be next weekend's project.

I will be planning some trips very soon, so stay tuned! I want to hit up Cape Canaveral (very pretty ride), and possibly Ocala National Forest. I just got back from there, and I saw 2 guys on bandits doing some sport touring, so naturally, I am jealous. Now all I need to do is get a few buddies to join me on my escapades! I have a few in mind, but I'll have to see if their 600RR's will be comfy enough for the distance I am looking at doing.

There will be much to come, including work on the KZ650, and I might still ride that a bit too :-p
Last edited by DivideOverflow on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by JCS »

Congrats on the new/old bike. These bikes are surprisingly comfy to put a lot of miles on. I have a 84 VF1000F Interceptor. A much larger/heavier version of your bike. Too heavy for a serious sportbike but makes a great sport/tourer. This bike is a tank.
My wife has a 86 VFR750. Completely different animal than yours or mine. It is also a lot different than the newer VFR's. Still reasonable to do distance on.

Enjoy the V-four and ride the sucker. We also camp and combining the two activities is a blast. We can pack all our camp gear including the kitchen sink with no problem.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#3 Unread post by sapaul »

When I read threads like this and detect that hint of pride and also the expectation of what the bike is going to do for you, then I identify big time. It always has been for me the way the bike makes you feel.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Thanks for the comments guys! I appreciate it.

Today it was time to get down to business! After I finished what I needed to do at work, I hurried home to get in some quality Intercepting.

The town I live in sports a fair number of nice roads, all of which have only minor traffic. However, first thing's first: inspect the bike! No leaking, check. Tire pressure, check. Full tank, check (I like to keep my bikes well fed). Oil, check. Lights shining brightly, most definitely. Stop putzing around and get on that bike, check!!

Our first adventure was to an empty parkinglot of a building that is currently dormant. We didn't have the time yesterday to go over all of the basics, so I thought it would be a good idea to practice some of the finer points of our relationship. The first thing we did was find that maximum breaking speed, always a good thing. I'm really digging the hydraulic clutch and breaks! After that, slow speed maneuvers! This is the most aggressive bike I own (or have owned), and the slow speed control is just a bit different.

The Interceptor's powerband is very different from the KZ650. The KZ will shoot right off of idle, just release the clutch and go! The Interceptor, however, is a much different beast. I start to release that hydraulic clutch, and it mutters "Feed me". I give it more throttle and it quiets down into a balanced rumble of content.

If I start to accelerate, it whispers, "That's it, just a little more....". Finally, it eminates a hearty roar as I roll into 7000rpms, you can definitely tell it is most happy here, if you roll on more, it laughs heartilly and rewards you with a rush of forward thrust.

More on today's adventure after another short ride (writing about it has definitely got me in the mood).
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Ahh, that's better.

After our "getting to know you" session, we set out for a spirited jaunt. First up was the biggest rolling hills we have in Florida! (they aren't very big, I'll have to get pictures next time). This road ends in a T, if I were to go right, it would have taken me through a beautiful pass of million-dollar homes at 45 miles per hour... a nice relaxing ride, but I decided to go left (fully aware of what was in this direction as well).

So left it was! This way was a single lane road, speed limit of 35mph, with light tree cover lining the side of the road. The road oscillates back and forth, slow rolling curves with mild pitch and angle changes... then comes my favorite part. The recommended speed limit drops to 15mph, and the pavement starts to dissapear to the right; so we lean, roll on the throttle, and hug the road as if it is a long lost relative. As if that curve isn't sweet enough, the road decides that it has scratched the itch on the right, and wants to cut back to the other side! The radius slightly decreases into a beautiful twist, as if the road can't decide whether to go back or continue on. Growing dizzy, the road decides to just straighten out and catch up with its neighbor at the next light.

So... after about 6 times of doing this, we decide we better not wear it out all in one afternoon! I pull up to a light that goes only straight or left. This light is in a 55mph zone... I was tempted to turn left and head home, but the Interceptor wasn't quite ready. Again, it whispered to me at idle, "Psst... it is about that time." To which I reply, "Righto".
Green. Look both ways. VROOOOOM.
I could swear that the Interceptor's howl is the motorcycle version of a giant grin, as I feel it goes hand in hand with the look on my face.

By that time highschool was about to get out, so I headed home to spend some time with my brother. Today was his first ride on the KZ650 (in first gear, in a culdesack). Today was all kinds of fun.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#6 Unread post by flynrider »

Sounds like you're having a blast. My first Interceptor ride was right after the VF750 came out in '83. After years of both of us riding KZs, my buddy spurged on a new Interceptor. It was a blue one just like yours. I remember riding that bike in the mountains whenever the "radical" riding position got to be too much for my friend's lower back. It looks pretty tame now, but back then, it was pretty wild for a production bike to have rear set controls and built-in plastic/fairing, not to mention water-cooling or a V-4!

I'm glad to see those bikes still on the road and being enjoyed as much as you obviously enjoy yours. Ride on!!
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

The stench of defeat

#7 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Today started out well enough. I woke up and went to my electronics lab, hit up work for a bit, got home and took the bike for a spin! I tooled around town, visited my parents at work, and eventually went to my parents house and had dinner.

So 6:30pm rolls around, I so I decide to take my bike back to my apartment. I hop on, and head out! about 5 minutes into the ride, I'm sitting at a light, and my bike just up and dies. I pull over onto the grass by the side of the road, and try to start it again. No enchilada! I turn choke to full, it starts, but it idles under 1000rpms (normal is like 1100,1200). I try to give it some juice, it dies. Repeat this (with some checking of the petcock, fuel lines, etc) about 5 times, then fastforward a bit to the part where I try to get my bike over to a sidewalk.

It is already dark at this point, it looks like a moderately small ditch, so I decide to try and get to the sidewalk on the other side. IDIOT! I apparently didn't see the knee deep mud at the bottom of the ditch.

So there I am, standing knee deep in cold, wet mud, holding my bike up so it doesn't tip over... spouting some random profanity. I manage to get my phone out and call my mom, tell her to bring my cousin to help me get my bike out of the mud. THANKFULLY, a very nice mad happened by, and helped pull my bike out of the ditch with his truck and a strap (from the very helpful handles at the back of my bike).

Then, all I had to do is walk my bike home a few miles.

I just dont get it... the tank is full, it ran fine for over 10 miles earlier in the day, and it ran for over a mile in the evening then just up and died! Tomorrow morning I start to troubleshoot.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Did a lot of playing with the bike today.

Fuel pump is working, the filter doesnt seem to be blocking anything... fuel was still getting to the bike.

Changed the spark plugs, the ones in there looked very bad. 3 were red, the 4th was black and had some sludge on it.

The battery was a little low from cranking it the night before, so I picked up a battery tender and re-charged it.

I got the bike to run, drove it around for a few minutes, and decided to try and head back to school. Somehow the cap to the coolant came off, I managed to get to a side road, and a bunch of coolant poured out. Called my dad to bring me the radiator cap from my car, some coolant, and water. Got it temporarily squared away and tried to head home.

About half way back, I was at about 4000rpms, and I tried to give it more throttle but the revs didnt go up.. then the revs slowly dropped, and the bike died. I was able to coast into a parking lot. Now the bike won't start. The battery voltage was low again, I pulled the battery, took it home, recharged it, took it back, still wont start. I got it to start for a second with the choke on, but then it shut off within about 5 seconds. I put the bike in a business parkinglot and left a note asking them not to tow it and that I would be back tomorrow, left my number and that good stuff.

I really dont know what the deal is. It almost seems like the alternator isnt working at all.

Tomorrow I'm going to go back with the battery charged, pull the fuel pump, and see if that will leave enough juice for me to get it home. I'm really confused, because it was working for about 15 minutes. Now it wont start at all.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#9 Unread post by BuzZz »

Did you try popping the gas filler cap? Could be clogged vent creating vacuum in there.

How red were those plugs? Like rust colored? or burnt brown?

Rusty looking could mean water, likely coolant, is being burned.

Is your rectifier/regulator working? That can eat batteries and cause running problems.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#10 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Tried with the cap open.
3 plugs were red, one was fouled. Maybe the previous owner got water in the gas tank?

I think the regulator is working, but I need to double check.

I actually think it is a fuel delivery problem now... the previous owner offered to trailer it home and clean the carbs for me and troubleshoot it (nice guy!)... but since I've had it all of one week, I would do the same if I sold a bike and it broke down on someone.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale