vIRGININA

dgauthier703
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#41 Unread post by dgauthier703 »

Hi TinkTime...welcome to the forums. What kind of bike do you have?

I'm also in Woodbridge and there's lots of great rides around here. One of my favorites is along Aden/Bristow Rd. You can make it a quick 1-hour loop, or continue through vint hill rd. and back through warrenton. They're not too complicated and give you some nice curves without being too challenging. I go on these routes when I just want to get out for a little while after work. If you're ever up for a ride, let me know and we can make plans (though not the next three weekends, i'm out of town)

All these routes start at the county landfill, if you know where that is.

Short

Long

Joplin Rd is also nice, but you'll come back either HWY 1 or 95, or just turn around.

There's lots more, but hopefully this should get you started.

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran

#42 Unread post by jeff_connors »

My wife and I are coming out to Shenandoah next week and ride the skyline and part of the Parkway. We are planning on camping for a few days and have never camped with the MC. Any tips for this part of the country? What is the weather like there, cool? We are trying to figure out if we should wear warm coats or mesh. Thanks for the help.

Always up to see other motorcycles!
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'04 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'06 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (light blue)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (red-sold)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (black)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#43 Unread post by Johnj »

Jeff, I always carry both a textile and a mesh jacket. If your going to camp get a camp axe. Tent, sleeping bag, air mattress with a battery pump, insect repellent, a lantern (I found a LED 4 d-cell at Wallyworld), a military style mess kit, and some TP.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#44 Unread post by storysunfolding »

jeff_connors wrote:My wife and I are coming out to Shenandoah next week and ride the skyline and part of the Parkway. We are planning on camping for a few days and have never camped with the MC. Any tips for this part of the country? What is the weather like there, cool? We are trying to figure out if we should wear warm coats or mesh. Thanks for the help.

Always up to see other motorcycles!
The skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway are typically 10 degrees colder than the weather here in DC which makes for some fun. That said, it's been hot recently so I'd bring mesh and maybe some rain gear. When I travel I always throw in a fleece just in case

I recommend stopping at one of the Bodo's bagels in Charlottesville, a great detour between where skyline and the parkway connect and maybe even spin by Monticello if you're into history. Otherwise, enjoy the scenery and go see some of the falls along the route. It's simply a beautiful area
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran

#45 Unread post by jeff_connors »

Thanks both, good advice. We have gone back and forth on mesh vs all weather jackets. I think "layers" are the way we will go. A fleece or sweater, of course rain gear, and a mesh for warm weather. Our textile jackets are just too warm even with all the vents open, etc.

We will take air mattresses, bags, and a little pup tent. We will will probably take too much of stuff we won't use and need stuff we don't have, especially on the first MC camping trip. Live and learn. But to take advantage of other people's lessons....so my post here! Thanks again both.
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'04 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'06 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (light blue)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (red-sold)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (black)

bikerguy
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 03 suzuki intruder 1400

Re: Winchester

#46 Unread post by bikerguy »

Aquaduct wrote:That's where I am. Top of the Shenandoah Valley. Talk about great rides.
I know this is a older post but i been through the lexington va. area. Ilove the area talk about great ride . :D