California

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

California

#1 Unread post by keysman »

Let's get the roll call started again from one of the greatest states for riding in the USA. :)

I live near the state capitol in the Sacramento area.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by emperorjordan »

Just north of Santa Barbara, CA. :D
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

Chick
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Chick »

Currently near Santa Barbara, soon back to Northern CA.

keysman

#4 Unread post by keysman »

Welcome to the forums Chick! What do you ride? Where you going to be when you come back to Nor Cal?

Chick
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Chick »

I'm moving from Santa Barbara to the Anderson Valley, between Mendocino and Hwy. 101. Rats, only about 5 feet from my driveway to the redwoods!
Terrible riding up here, no twisties, no scenery. Where are you in CA, Keysman?
I ride an 02 ZZR1200, by far the best bike I have ever owned. Comfort, range, gobs of power, and looks pretty good.
So, what is the history of this site? I just heard about it on another site after your hack problem.
02 Pearl Yellow ZZ-R1200; Holeshots, Corbin, Ohlins, High Point Wheels,

aprilmaybe
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#6 Unread post by aprilmaybe »

Hi from SoCal :wave:

I'm in Hollywood--wishing the rains would stop. Neither me or the roads can take anymore.
2004 Ducati Monster

AdrianZ
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by AdrianZ »

8) the greatest state! Orange county here. Going to be moving to Huntington beach or i might find a place with my friend adam in long beach or where ever. but I'm going to be in socal for sure :laughing:
I'm 6'7". bikes have more headroom

keysman

#8 Unread post by keysman »

Chick wrote:I'm moving from Santa Barbara to the Anderson Valley, between Mendocino and Hwy. 101. Rats, only about 5 feet from my driveway to the redwoods!
Terrible riding up here, no twisties, no scenery. Where are you in CA, Keysman?
I ride an 02 ZZR1200, by far the best bike I have ever owned. Comfort, range, gobs of power, and looks pretty good.
So, what is the history of this site? I just heard about it on another site after your hack problem.
I guess I should frequent this part of the board more often. Sorry about that. I live in the area near Sacramento. There's no twisties in my bak yard but it's not too far to get into the Sierra Nevada foothills for some good riding.

I joined the forums on this site close to when they started up back in November 2003. I started coming here to look for information on good bikes for beginners. Then the forums opened up and I joined just to ask the stupid questions all the noob riders have. You know things like, "I've never been on a bike before will 1300 ccs be enough for me?" :? I didn't really ask that but it seems like all the noobs post stuff like that everyday.

After a few months went by and I got my bike and started putting some miles on it I hung out and posted on the forums from time to time. Then one day the Owner sent me a PM and asked if I wanted to moderate the Product Reviews forum. I didn't think I was qualified being a new rider and all but Mike thought I could do it and I had the opportunity to quit at any time. So I had been doing that for some time and then I took on the Motorcycle reviews section as well.

I spend time over there trying to post new product reviews when I can and just take part in the forums. I try to hit the New Bikers Forum from time to time too to answer questions and I try to be sympathetic, even though some people want to start with a bike that is way too big for them. We all try to point them in the right direction.

So the ZZR1200 would you classify that as a sport touring? I don't know much about the ZZR or any of the Kawasaki bikes for that matter. I know a guy that owns a Concurs it's only about a year old but it looks like it was built in 1984. :) The one thing it had going for it was the price. It seems to be really inexpensive for a touring bike. You said the bike is comfortable. Does it use clip-ons? Is the crouched over position comfortable? My bike is a standard and it has a upright seating position. I wonder about some of the sportier of the sport touring bikes for an upgrade down the road.

Chick
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Chick »

Keysman, the ZZ-R1200 stock has about 135hp, weighs 535 pounds dry. Chain drive, decent brakes, 6.6 gallon tank. I added slip-ons, stainless brake lines, Ohlins shock and Corbin Saddle, and Ventura Pack for hauling sleeping bag and tent, etc. The position is between sport bike crouch and touring bike upright. I can do very long (900 mile) days without too severe cramping (I can't sit in my recliner at home that long without pain!). I would classify it as a SPORT-touring bike, not a sport-TOURING bike. Top speed is well into the triple digits, guys that drag them are getting 10.35 at 130 or so. Not bad for a big bike! :mrgreen:
02 Pearl Yellow ZZ-R1200; Holeshots, Corbin, Ohlins, High Point Wheels,

keysman

#10 Unread post by keysman »

Chick,

135hp is not too bad! :) 6.6 Gal. is a nice amout of gas too for touring. I really like the looks of the Triumph Sprint ST right now. I haven't seen it in person, thown a leg over, or rode one but I like the look and the luggage looks decent too.