My last ride

TexasPhotographer
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

My last ride

#1 Unread post by TexasPhotographer »

Sunday, October 18, three days before my 71st birthday was supposed to be a really fun day. I rode about 55 miles with 19 other members of our SCRC Riding Club. During brunch, I finished and excused myself as I was going alone to see my oldest granddaughter play college soccer. I was travelling about 70 MPH along a nice Texas country road. It was just about noon when I saw a large doe running full open towards me. I had no time to react and said maybe I will miss her. Nope. :( I hit her T-bone and went down. I rolled over and over three or four times and knew I was hurt. How badly, I did not know.

Was evacuated to Darnall Army Hospital where I spent three days and countless X-Rays. Have a broken bone in my shoulder, 5 cracked ribs, severe high ankle sprain and lots of road rash. However due to a great full face helmet and armored backed gloves, my face, head and hands were not injured.

Here are two photos of my helmet. Look closely at the nicks just below the very scratched visor. If anything could convince a person to wear a full face helmet all of the time maybe these photos could be the reason. I hope so.

Old is better than the alternative