SportsterKing
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2007/Harley/Sportster 1200 Low

Recommendations for NC routes?

#1 Unread post by SportsterKing »

I just moved to Chapel Hill area of NC right as the riding season ended and know NOTHING of the area. I'm looking to map out a few good routes to jump start the new season with and really explore the area. I'm TOTALLY doing the dragon for sure, but other local/backroads scenic stuff would be amazing too. I'm also always interested in meeting up with other riders in the area who are up for rides whenever possible. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend H GPS i just got for Xmas for riding but have no idea how to program it for rides yet so if you have suggestions on how to put routes in there that would be helpful too. Thanks a bunch.

Jude

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Recommendations for NC routes?

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

SportsterKing wrote: I'm TOTALLY doing the dragon for sure
Becareful on that road, from what I've read and posted about it, it's a really challenging route.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

SportsterKing
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by SportsterKing »

Yes, that seems to be the FIRST thing everyone says when I mention doing the dragon lol. I've seen some of the videos, read the reports (and the number of fatalities). I am planning on doing it with some other seasoned riders (the more the merrier, btw) and taking it easy. No need to go blasting through the turns. I'd rather actually enjoy my scenery. I also just read a Backroads magazine article about another trail that's just as good or better called the Cheronala Skyway that also is at the border of NC/TN there very close by. The write up on it sounded AMAZING!!!!!
"...It winds up and over 5,400 feet of mountains for 15 miles in North Carolina and descends another 21 miles into deeply forested back country of Tennessee. The road crosses Cherokee and Nantahala national forests thus the name "Chero...Hala." (Backroads Magazine, www.backroadsusa.com, July 2010 issue, pg. 21) www.cherohala.com

Since the Dragon and Skyway are both a good 5 hours drive from my I want to take a nice ride out to the dragon, camp/room for the day and just leisurely explore the area and get some good rest and then hit these bad-boys back-to-back since they're soooooo close to each other. The article above was for their "Great All-American Diner Run" section and they recommended a place called the Prospecting Diner Company as a place for good eats that's definitely on the agenda.

Anyone interested in a good 2-day trip or, if you're in the area close enough already, joining us for some wicked riding one-day?

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#4 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#5 Unread post by Kingshead »

Would love to own some of those bikes & cars. Wonder about their security system???????????????
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

1poser
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: 06 Ducati MultiStrada D 620

#6 Unread post by 1poser »

Here's a write up I posted;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42652

great ride!
70 Honda 50CC Minibike
72 Honda Trail 70
74 Honda CR125
75 Kawasaki 500 MachIII
95 Kawasaki Ninja 600
98 Honda Valkyrie
00 Honda XRL650
01 Honda Goldwing GL1800
03 Yamaha FJR1300
03 H-D Fatboy
04 Honda Valkyrie Rune
05 BMW 1200GS
07 H-D Roadglide
07 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
04 Kawasaki KLX400
06 Ducati 620D Multi Strada

JamieC
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by JamieC »

If you need some suggestions on places to ride in the NC area, I work with Competition Accessories and we actually did a blog post recently that might help. Check it out, the top 20 roads in the Southeast: http://blog.compacc.com/2011/07/top-20- ... -southeast

Happy Riding!

gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail

#8 Unread post by gerjets »

Sounds like you've got some decent ideas already...I'll put in my two cents :-)

First off, I haven't ridden in NC, but have definitely spent some time there...

I don't believe there are many places in the US prettier than the Blue Ridge Mountains so, if it's me, I would map out a route or two and find my way there sometime in the fall. I'd also be carrying a camera!

For the past 15+ years, my family has spent a week in the Outer Banks every summer for family vacation. I know it's a ways from Chapel Hill but it if you've got the time, I believe it would be a great trip. I wasn't a fan of the ocean until we started going there.

I've also been to Morristown, TN several years running - not too far from you - and there are bound to be great mountain rides in the area. As a matter of fact, I bought my last bike in Morristown (quite a ways from Maryland!).

Good luck!

Mike

SportsterKing
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by SportsterKing »

I've been writing up some of my rides this past season around NC so if someone else is looking for suggestions you can read about them here http://sportsterking.wordpress.com

Once I get the scoot fixed I'm hoping to get more rides in before the season completely changes over. Otherwise I'm going to spend the winter season planning a ton of rides for the new spring season.

roady
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW K1200S

#10 Unread post by roady »

Hi Jude.
There's a couple of good rides in the area.