Is it a good idea to learn to ride on a vintage bike?

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Is it a good idea to learn to ride on a vintage bike?

#1 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I've got a friend who plans to buy a 1956 BMW R26 as his first motorcycle (and learn on it; he's only owned scooters before).

I think it's a bad idea for all sorts of reasons. I'm wondering how to tell him, since I've only been riding for little more than a year and don't want to seem like a know-it-all.

Or am I overreacting? It's a 250cc, 160kg/350lb, 15 hp motorcycle after all.

PS, I've seen the bike, it's gorgeous, and I can't blame him for falling in love with it.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Flesher »

IMO if all the safety parts are in good working order/good condition then I don't see a problem with it.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#3 Unread post by Thumper »

I think the only real drawback--presuming it's in terrific condition--would be the heartache if he dumped it...

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#4 Unread post by KingRobb »

Thumper wrote:I think the only real drawback--presuming it's in terrific condition--would be the heartache if he dumped it...
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

TorontoBoy
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by TorontoBoy »

If it's safe, then it'd be a good beginner bike. Not too much engine power. Brakes are not too powerful. Though it's heavy for a 250, it's still not too heavy. He'll need new tires.

It'd be really fun to learn on a BMW 250. They're really nice looking and very unique.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

as was mentioned, as long as its in good shape. and your buddy doesnt mind wrenching occationally.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Thumper wrote:I think the only real drawback--presuming it's in terrific condition--would be the heartache if he dumped it...
If he really can't resist the Beemer, I'm planning to suggest that he also get something used, cheap, but fairly recent and reliable, like the usual Ninja 250 suggested on this site. That way, he could build up skills and learn to ride properly on something less painful to drop (and that has more reliable brakes, for instance), then sell the Ninja later on.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

obfuscate
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by obfuscate »

It's a real challenge to find parts for some older bikes. Ebay makes it easier, but realize it can take a while to find parts. Have him look around before he buys it. My mother had a '77 Guzzi for a while that she ended up selling because finding parts was such a pain.

If he's into wrenching this could be fun for him, (I have fond memories of helping fix that Guzzi) if not he may end up spending more money on the mechanic than he intends.

Let us know how it turns out
1993 XJ600 Seca II

Captain Pete
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Captain Pete »

He will have a hard time finding parts for an R series of that vintage, and they will not be cheap. If he has the time, the money, and the mechanical savvy, then it would be a good project bike to work on over the next couple of years. If your buddy likes vintage bikes, and is still pretty much a beginner, then the older Honda CB750's or the Suzuki GS bikes (the 550 or 750) would be great. However, one should never turn down an opportunity to own a vintage Beemer.
"I must break you."

jimbeemer
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 49
My Motorcycle: Motorcycle

Re: Is it a good idea to learn to ride on a vintage bike?

#10 Unread post by jimbeemer »

It should be character-building. I learnt to ride on all sorts of clapped-out old (classic, or just old?) bikes in the UK and sure learnt a lot about how bikes work (and don't). Nothing like riding home in a snowstorm with a throttle cable tied to your thumb to learn:laughing: bike control!