gregsfc
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: CTX700

Honda CTX700 Underrated!

#1 Unread post by gregsfc »

I was looking at reported fuel economy from TM ratings, and have previously been active on my specific model forum and report on Fuelly, and I don't get it. It seems almost no one who owns this bike comes anywhere close to the great mpg I get on my bike. Most riders/owners of standard-shift CTX700s get just a little above average for a modern twin cylinder mid-size bike, but I can 77-78 commuting in the Summer, from a tank-to-tank measurement, which is 13-14 above Honda Power Sports on ratings for the standard shift. Could this say something about the typical buyer of this particular bike? Or is my bike an anomaly for some reason? It's basically stock except for a Madstad windscreen and a milk crate strapped to the seat behind me; neither modification seemed to help or hurt much from a completely-stock bike.

I also looked up my previous ride for TM-rated mpg, which I rode on the same exact route commuting and at the same approximate speeds. That mpg rating was right on, rated at 68. It was a Piaggio BV350. So I got around 68 for a year around average on a BV350 that is rated by Total at that same number. And I get around 75 for a year around average on my Honda CTX700 that is rated at 64. Just think its odd that others haven't found this to be a very fuel economical bike. No one is touting this bike as being very fuel stingy, but in my case, it is amazingly fuel stingy. Nearly as economical as a 250 small bike and more economical than any highway capable scooter that I can think of.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: Honda CTX700 Underrated!

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

Are some number quoted in US gallons and are you using imperial?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The fuel ratings are usually done in ideal conditions. The ratings don't account for long steep hills, aggressive acceleration or riding super fast all day.

I have a friend who rides with me...he gets way better gas mileage when I set the pace. :)

gregsfc
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: CTX700

#4 Unread post by gregsfc »

blues2cruise wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 am The fuel ratings are usually done in ideal conditions. The ratings don't account for long steep hills, aggressive acceleration or riding super fast all day.

I have a friend who rides with me...he gets way better gas mileage when I set the pace. :)
Right! That's what I'm saying... One would expect the rating to be overrated, but the rating is instead, very underrated; but evidently almost everybody that owns these are driving especially aggressively, they are adding lots of farkle, they are extra fat, they don't know, care or report, and/or they are riding extra urban, because I'm the only one on Fuelly getting this amazing mpg.

I'm also saying that it can't just be my riding style or road conditions or terrain. I live in a somewhat hilly area; my commute includes multiple grades, one is long at or about 4%, another is about 1/2 mile (.8 KM) and 6%. My previous ride, a Piaggio BV (Beverley) 350 is rated 65-70 US/US, and that was right on. I averaged 67.5 along the same routes, speeds and riding style. This means I get at or about 22% above the rating on the CTX700, but not at all on my previous ride. This also means I get nearly as good as any motorcycle on the planet and higher than any 300+ scooter, yet no one but me notices this great machine.

At an FE contest in Ohio U.S., I achieved 96.9 by my own records, 101.82 officially tucking in behind the shield and fairing. I beat the next-best stock bike by 21 mpg, and it was a DR200. My bike is 500 (227 KG) and 43/42(57) peak power/ torque (NM) at the wheel and can achieve +80 mpg!

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/2014-C ... lenge.html

Honda PS estimates 64 U.S., U.S gallons for the standard shift with standard brakes CTX700 with a small fairing. When I had the OEM tires on it, the bike had a 1.1% optimistic odometer error, and even after accounting for that error, I averaged 76 in warm weather and 70 in cold weather from tank-to-tank, and I averaged 81 on a 200-mile, two-way trip measurement. Nowadays, with Michilen P4s on it, it has a 2.2% odometer error, and even after accounting for that error, I'm getting almost 78 commuting in warm weather, 73 in cold weather, and 83 on a typical 200 mile, two-way trip. I've achieved 85 last summer on a tank.

I'm not bragging. I'm frustrated that there is no one to talk to about these amazing machines; not even on the model forum with other owners.