2011 Bimota Tesi 3D - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Bimota Tesi 3D is...

You may select 1 option

View results

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: 2011 Bimota Tesi 3D - COOL WALL VOTE: in Progress

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I'm quite curious how the "fork" (er, front swingarm?) affects the Tesi's handling. After watching this short vid, I still have no idea how the bars turn the front wheel

"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

From the video, it looks like it uses a unique pivot point and pivot arm system. The wheel looks like it has a virtual pivot point in the middle of the hub and the front arm system (the 2 "leg rods") use a "push-me pull-me" system to pivot that. Quite unique and of course more complex than a standard fork and triple tree arrangement.

I'm sure an engineer on here could explain in further. :D
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:370lbs and 1100cc engine, plus an insane design?
So, get a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO, weighs only a few pounds more, has the same desmodue 1100 engine, and costs maybe a third as much?

This bike is a dilemma, and we really need that "meh, neither cool or uncool" voting option. Styling is wonky, there's nothing wrong with the desmodue motor, but for the price they charge, the motor needs to be something more exotic and special. The whole thing comes down to the hub steering. I respect the engineering it represents, but from a riding perspective, what does it really get you in performance that you can't get from a BMW telelever?

I'll give it a reluctant Cool - it gets there by its fingernails, solely on the engineering interest of the hub steering. But if I had $40K lying around, I wouldn't spend it on this...... an EBR 1190RS on the other hand...
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

#14 Unread post by spydercanopus »

I voted awesome. Looks like something out of an anime.

Some videos of it:

General run-down:

Heads up display turning on:

Racing it:

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#15 Unread post by jaskc78 »

The only thing I got from Grey's video is that the guy displaying the bike has a freakin' creepy smile. Stay away from my kids, bro.

The 3 posted by Spyder were a bit more useful, and I think the MCN guy pretty much summed it all up--"The biggest compliment you can give it is that it feels like a normal sport bike...but is it as good as a well-sorted sport bike like the DB5? The short answer is no." The display turning on looks nice, reminds me of my '06 Ninja 636...except $40,000 more expensive. I think the biggest shortfall was also mentioned in the MCN video, it lacks that tactile feedback that you get from a normal sport bike, having that solid connection from the front axle directly up through the forks and into the grips. I'm also curious how that 23 degree turning limit compares to other bikes and how big a role that would play in low speed maneuvers.

As a personal aside, I would never spend that kind of money on a bike unless I won the lottery or for some other reason came into an exorbitant amount of scratch, let alone spend that kind of money on a bike to only ride it on the track, and I think the lack of feedback in everyday street riding would be a huge down side for this bike. I depend on my handlebars every time I ride to let me know what quality of road surface I'm on, not sure how much of it would be muted being so indirectly connected to the front tire with that system.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:370lbs and 1100cc engine, plus an insane design?
So, get a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO, weighs only a few pounds more, has the same desmodue 1100 engine, and costs maybe a third as much?
Granted, it's a very unique design exercise is what really makes it shine. Yes, the same engine and almost x3 more price than the Hypermotard, but the styling is what makes the Tesi 3D so unique. The Hypermotard 1100 EVO http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 100EVO.htm is a wicked hooligan bike in it's own right though.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Good votes coming in thus far:

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Bimota Tesi 3D is...

Awesome 50%
Cool 8%
Uncool 33%
Fail 8%

It will be an interesting finish!

jaskc78
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#18 Unread post by jaskc78 »

I don't like these pop quizzes, Mike, I always guess the wrong answer!
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jaskc78 wrote:I don't like these pop quizzes, Mike, I always guess the wrong answer!
LOL!! :laughing:

When it comes to voting, there is no wrong answer. (How is that for a politician answer)

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#20 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Sorry guys this one is a FAIL for me.

It's ugly.
It's weird.
The steering mechanism does not inspire confidence.
It's missing the forks, an important part for me because it gives the 'dive' feel as you break and turn.
The price.

Out of interest, I heard the MCN guys say that it's turning radius is 23°. Is that good or bad? I have no clue. Any thoughts?

The only thing redeeming about it is the weight-to-power ratio.
Andrea :sun: