2011 BMW F650GS - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 BMW F650GS is...

You may select 1 option

View results

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 BMW F650GS - COOL WALL VOTE: VOTE NOW!

#21 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Grey Thumper wrote:I was seriously considering getting one of these, and I think it's still one of the most practical bikes in BMWs line up (great fuel economy, and if we're being honest, enough off-pavement capability for maybe 90% of the riders who end up buying either the F800 or R1200 GSes).

It just lacks the "gotta have it" factor for the cool wall though. I still voted it cool, but if I was shopping around for a middleweight, mostly-pavement adventure bike these days, I'd either spend less and get a used Versys, or wait for the Triumph Tiger 800.
Agreed.

I voted cool because it lacks the sexiness that it needs to have in order for it to be awesome. It's a decent enough looking bike though and would be a great all-rounder so definitely deserves to be cool on the Cool Wall.

I still do not understand the 650cc name even though it has an 800cc engine... that's just damn confusing!!!
Andrea :sun:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#22 Unread post by HYPERR »

QuietMonkey wrote: That's not off-roading, that is a dirt and gravel road that can be ridden on anything.
Very true, in fact I bet that in most third world countries, that would be considered a very well maintained road. :laughing:

I think a lot of people don't realize how good regular bike do on roads like that.

I don't know about riding mud on a CBR though, I have enough trouble on mud in my KLX....but then again since it is a street legal bike, I have never had anything more agressive than the Trakmasters on it.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#23 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote: Now THAT I don't understand....well actually I do. The Ducati 999 was a pretty motorcycle and I believe that 15 years down the road it will be respected as such. The biggest issue that it had was following one of the most iconic and sexy motorcycles ever made, the 916/996/998. Even though that bike was getting long in the tooth the Ducati crowd can be somewhat conservative in the way that the Harley crowd is. How are you ever going to make it better if you do not accept change? I loved the 851/888, which as an icon in itself but time marches on. The new 1098/1198 is a nice looking motorcycle but attempts nothing new and tends to look like a lot of Japanese motorcycles that themselves have adapted the 916 styling cues. Why this motorcycle can be considered an ugly duckling I will never understand:
I absolutely loved them (999) from day one. The photos do not do them justice, they look absolutely incredible in real life. No matter how you look at it, Terblanche was going to be the bad guy. The 916 was a savior bike for Ducati. And he had already ruined the Supersports with his godawful design that replaced arguably one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.

Totally agree on the 1098. It is a very beautiful bike but it definitely looks Japanese and not Italian. It looks more like a Yamaha than a Ducati, quite apparent that the Ducati designers were highly influenced by the Japanese designs.

I think the 999 would look even better with the obligatory single sided swing arm.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#24 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:That's not OFF-roading....it's crappy roading!
I didn't make the video or name it, it was called that by the creator.

I like how it shows the 2011 BMW F650GS is not slouch when it comes to off-roading. If it isn't paved (to me) it's off-road. (thus the term, off-the-road)..haha. Not sure if it is using stock tires or after market ones as they do not show the tires nor talk about them.

I "off-road" around Drumheller a lot myself on my street bikes (dirt roads, gravel roads even no-roads), even my V-Strom had a taste of 5" deep gravel road for over 30 minutes.

Maybe out next bike up on the cool wall should be a 2-stroke off-road dirt model? :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#25 Unread post by ZRex »

I am all for getting more than you are expeciting, but naming a bike a 650 when it is really a 800 is kind of rediculous (they don't call the Nissan 370Z a 240Z). I still voted Cool because it is a good all around bike.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ZRex wrote:I am all for getting more than you are expeciting, but naming a bike a 650 when it is really a 800 is kind of rediculous (they don't call the Nissan 370Z a 240Z). I still voted Cool because it is a good all around bike.
I agree, it is nice to get more than what is said on the tin. I've seen so many motorcycle models advertised as XXXcc that are less than that, but to have one advertised as a lower cc bike model name that is in the next class?

It would be like Yamaha keeping the Yamaha FZ6 name and putting in the new FZ8 engine in it. (thus a 800cc FZ6)

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Tomorrow a new bike goes up on the Motorcycle Cool Wall! So get your votes in now for the 2011 BMW F650GS!!

Mike

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#28 Unread post by HYPERR »

ZRex wrote:I am all for getting more than you are expeciting, but naming a bike a 650 when it is really a 800 is kind of rediculous (they don't call the Nissan 370Z a 240Z)
The 240Z is so much cooler than a 370Z.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Great debates on the 2011 BMW F650GS guys and girls. :D I always look forward to each week on what new model will be up on the Cool Wall and how it ends up on the vote.

As of today, the vote was a solid COOL at 64%.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Next bike up on the Cool Wall after the 2011 BMW F650GS is....