2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200: Voted Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200: Voted Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... da1200.htm

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200

The new Multistrada - Touring meets passion

The 2013 Ducati Multistrada family presents an innovative and technically advanced evolution of an already award-winning range, now updated with restyled aesthetics, a brand new Granturismo model and the new Ducati Skyhook Suspension (DSS) system that provides confidence-inspiring, intelligent electronics to ensure this multi-tasking motorcycle is instantly ready for every road.

The new range, full of owner-inspired improvements, signals the next stage of the Multistrada adventure with a long list of fascinating and high-tech features that continue the model's reputation for industrychanging innovation. They include the second generation Testastretta 11° DS engine, the very latest Bosch ABS 9ME braking system with full Riding Mode integration, a new headlight design with LED low-beam illumination and subtle aesthetic updates to the front fairing.

Hailed as a true ‘game-changing’ motorcycle, the Multistrada 1200 has attracted all types of riders by removing the borders between motorcycle categories. With the latest 150hp Testastretta 11° DS engine, a class-leading dry weight of just 194kg ((428lb) Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak) and the application of advanced ergonomics, the Multistrada 1200 is not only powerful and playful, but also a comfortable and versatile adventure on two wheels. The eight-level DTC and new three-level ABS introduce the Ducati Safety Pack (DSP) concept to the Multistrada family, further underlining Ducati's focus on performance safety.

The new Multistrada 1200 transforms every road into an unending thrill-fest.

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 - North American Specifications/Technical Details
USA MSRP Price: $16,995 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $18,495 CDN

Engine
TYPE
L-Twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, Dual Spark liquid cooled
DISPLACEMENT
1198.4cc
BORE X STROKE
106x67.9mm
COMPRESSION RATIO
11.5:1
POWER
150hp - 110.3kw @ 9250rpm
TORQUE
87,5lb-ft 118,7Nm @7500rpm
FUEL INJECTION
tsubishi electronic fuel injection system, Mikuni elliptical throttle bodies
EXHAUST
Stainless steel muffler with catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes, aluminium tail pipes
Transmission
GEARBOX
6 speed
PRIMARY DRIVE
Straight cut gears, Ratio 1.84:1
RATIO
1=37/15 2=30/17 3=27/20 4=24/22 5=23/24 6=22/25
FINAL DRIVE
Chain 5.30"; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 40
CLUTCH
Light action, wet, multiplate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run
Chassis
FRAME
Tubular steel Trellis frame
FRONT SUSPENSION
Marzocchi 50mm fully adjustable usd forks
FRONT WHEEL
10-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x 17
FRONT TYRE
Pirelli Scorpion Trail 120/70 17''
REAR SUSPENSION
Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Sachs monoshock. Aluminium single-sided swingarm
REAR WHEEL
10-spoke light alloy 6.00 x 17
REAR TYRE
Pirelli Scorpion Trail 190/55 17''
FRONT WHEEL TRAVEL
170mm (6.7in)
REAR WHEEL TRAVEL
170mm (6.7in)
FRONT BRAKE
2 x 320mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo callipers, 4-piston, 2-pad
REAR BRAKE
245mm disc, 2-piston caliper
INSTRUMENTATION
Multifunction digital dashboard of two displays with white backlight. Main LCD display: odometer (total, trip 1 and trip2), speedometer, rev counter, clock, gear indicator, coolant temperature; fuel level. Circular LCD dot-matrix display: trip computer (riding style set-up, active riding parameters, remaining fuel/distance, current fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, average speed, air temperature, trip time), maintenance intervals indicator (Km), signaling alarms and errors detection (diagnosis), setup menu and customization functions. Interface for the management of Riding Modes (control power curve and throttle response power, traction control, ABS). "Parking" and "Steering lock" indicators. Lights: oil pressure, neutral N, fuel warning, turn signal, EOBD (diagnosis), high beam, DTC intervention (Traction Control) and deterrent immobilizer (in Key-Off). Headlight control: auto switching-off during engine start, auto turning-off after 60 seconds from Key-On without starting the engine. The key management of the various function menus are integrated in the left and right switch controls.
Dimensions and weight
DRY WEIGHT
196kg (423lb)
WET WEIGHT
224kg (494lb)
SEAT HEIGHT
850mm (33.5in)
WHEELBASE
1530mm (60.2in)
RAKE
25°
TRAIL
110mm (4.33in)
FUEL TANK CAPACITY
20l - 5.3 gallon (US)
VERSIONS
Dual seat
Standard Equipment
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
DSP Ducati Safety Pack ( ABS-9ME + DTC ) Riding modes, Power modes, RbW, Hands Free
Warranty
WARRANTY
2 years unlimited mileage
MAINTENANCE SERVICE INTERVALS
12.000 km (7.500m)
VALVE CLEARANCE CHECK
24.000km (15,000m)
Emissions and Consumption
STANDARD
follows the US Federal Regulation
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week - 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Total Motorcycle is bringing you yet ANOTHER never before seen model this week for our Cool Wall, the brand new 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200!

This makes the 6th straight week of bringing you these never before seen models... are you spoiled yet? :revv:

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

I'll go with awesome with the caveat that it better not be another Ducati that comes with lean fueling from the factory(my most recent two were terrible). The rest of the bike looks to be awesome and I considered buying one myself before buying the VFR. Not a noticeable change form the old model though....

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:I'll go with awesome with the caveat that it better not be another Ducati that comes with lean fueling from the factory(my most recent two were terrible)
I wouldn't bet on it... :ninja:

Kind of a dorky looking bike IMO....uncool.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#5 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

Sport touring bikes are cool. High revving torquey twin engines are awesome. I voted cool because the Multistrada is not the best looking bike on the road. If i were spending my own money, I would rather have the Multistrada Grantourismo, but that doesn't make the standard Multistrada any less cool.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

So it's basically an 1198 with a comfortable riding position (for both rider and passenger), better weather protection, hard luggage, and a ground-breaking ability to customize ABS, traction control, throttle control, and suspension. How can that not be awesome?

That said, since it seems barely off-roadable, I wish they didn't compromise traditional Ducati good looks for trendy (but awkward) ADV styling. Why not just design it to be a sport tourer? I'll bet 99% of the people who buy these things use it as one. Oh well, at least it's not the worst looking current production Duc.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

Ducati for me has always had that Italian touch, good looking, easy going at times, fun to party with, but man, waaayyyy too temperamental and high maintenance
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

It's a Ducati - it must be cool!
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted Uncool.

I kept switching my mind between Cool and Uncool and if it was much more affordable, comfortable or better looking it would have been cool. But what a great engine and idea! It's like taking a V-Strom a making it into a Ducati. I sat on this model at the dealership and I wasn't impressed with the seat comfort (but that can be changed easy enough for more money).

Overall, I don't see a reason to buy this bike at over 2x the cost of the V-Strom myself considering the V-Strom is more comfortable (but much less of a bike than the Ducati). The new Ducati Multistrada 1200 is good, but THAT good for the price? The jury is still out on that one.

Mike

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Sorry I had to end this week's Cool Wall bike on Thursday night vs Friday morning as I will be driving all day long to pick up my new (used 2003) motorcycle 5 hours in each direction and won't be near a computer.

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 is...

Awesome 55%
Cool 30%
Uncool 15%
Fail 0%

I have to say that with a 55% Awesome rating and 30% Cool Rating the 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 should do just fine for Ducati. The only issue would be if the economy does slow down more and a $17-19k bike is just too much to bear...

Mike