2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom : Coolness Factor = 61.0%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom : Coolness Factor = 61.0%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Custom.htm

2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom

The 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom features lots of chrome, luminous paint, a bobtail rear fender, and the convenience of a clean quiet shaft drive. Don't be surprised if your friends think it's a one of a kind custom machine.

With a very manageable seat height, light handling, a 650cc V-Twin engine and chrime in all the right places the 2013 Yamaha V-Star Custom is great choice. Looking to get started living the cruiser lifestyle? Then hop aboard a V-Star!

From the day it hit the street, the V-Star 650 Custom has been a huge hit.

We started with an authentic V-twin powerplant and a lean, low-slung chassis, and then tricked it out with lots of chrome, rich paint, and a bobtail rear fender. And thanks to its "chopper" profile, shaft drive, and low seat height, the end result is no ordinary custom. The V-Star 650 Custom is so stylish and unique, people will swear you must have customized it yourself. Don't worry - we won't tell a soul.

± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.

2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom Key Features

49 mpg (US) / Fuel Consumption ± 21kpl/59mpg(Imp)

The V Star Custom is the lightest of the full-size Stars, which means great handling and performance are along for the ride, too.

Dual exhausts, custom-looking clear turn signals, lots of chrome—the V Star Custom represents tremendous cruiser bang for the buck.

Classic rigid-look rear end serves up 3.4 inches of rear wheel travel damped by a hidden preload-adjustable shock, offering up a great ride.

27.4-inch seat height lets riders get both feet on the pavement.

Estimated 49 mpg* means over 200 miles of riding before fill-ups.

2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $6,990 (Raven) Available from July 2012
Canadian MSRP Price: $6,999

Engine
Type 40-cubic-inch (649cc) air-cooled 70° V-twin; SOHC, 2 valves/cylinder
Bore x Stroke 81 x 63mm
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Fuel Delivery (2) 28mm Mikuni® CV carburetors
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Shaft

Chassis
Frame Steel; hidden shock
Suspension / Front 41mm telescopic fork; 5.5" travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload, 3.4-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic disc, 298mm
Brakes / Rear 200mm drum
Tires / Front 100/90-19
Tires / Rear 170/80-15
Wheels Spoke

Dimensions
Length 92.1 in
Width 34.6 in
Height 42.3 in
Seat Height 27.4 in
Wheelbase 63.4 in
Ground Clearance 5.5 in
Fuel Capacity 4.2 gal
Fuel Economy** 49 mpg
Wet Weight*** 514 lb / California model: 518 lb

Other
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)

*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner's Manual and all labels before operation.
**Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road
conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and operator/passenger weight.
***Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel.

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Custom.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This week: 2013 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom : Vote Today

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

A looooong awaited model to the Cool Wall, the V-Star 650. I'm surprised I forgot to put this one up before (and no one suggested it) considering how common it is on the roads. Remember you can suggest ANY model from 2000+ in our thread here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=40774

NOTE: Prices are accurate as of March 29th, 2013. I had to re-check as it's rare to see both the US and CDN prices the same. (good deal for Canadians or bad deal for Americans?!)

US MSRP Price: $6,990
Canadian MSRP Price: $6,999

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

I put cool, as I'm quite aware of the capabilities of this bike. If you do normal upkeep on this bike, it will last forever, take you and gear anywhere you want. Just ask blues2cruise about the 650, (although she rode the classic)...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I voted awesome. Aside from being a good entry level motorcycle, it can also carry you through many years of commuting and long road trips.

I had a classic because I really like that look...but the custom is lighter weight so it's a decent trade-off.

Tony216
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 08 S3, 04XB12, 09 SRFitty

#5 Unread post by Tony216 »

It's come a long way from the Virago days.

I know $8,000 is quite a bit more than $7,000, but $8,000 can get you a Suzuki C50 or a bottom-end Sportster 883. I think both bikes are worth the extra cost over the Star. And if you're a beginner, the Suzuki S40 is much cheaper.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

It's a fail for me sorry, to heavy, not enough power, poor brakes, to low and your back is ramrod straight with those awesome amounts of travel for a 500+ lb bike . It isn't as bad as I made it sound as it probably is a nice commuter but not for me sorry.
there aint nothin like it

blues2cruise

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Tony216 wrote:It's come a long way from the Virago days.

I know $8,000 is quite a bit more than $7,000, but $8,000 can get you a Suzuki C50 or a bottom-end Sportster 883. I think both bikes are worth the extra cost over the Star. And if you're a beginner, the Suzuki S40 is much cheaper.

The S40 is a single cylinder bike and somewhat smaller in stature. It's going to become too small very quickly. The Suzuki C50 is decent but you can't really compare the V-Star to a Sportster. Ergonomically they are night and day. V-Star low center of gravity. Sportster top heavy.

blues2cruise

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

BRUMBEAR wrote:It's a fail for me sorry, to heavy, not enough power, poor brakes, to low and your back is ramrod straight with those awesome amounts of travel for a 500+ lb bike . It isn't as bad as I made it sound as it probably is a nice commuter but not for me sorry.
Amazing how we all view things so differently. As for power..it is adequate for most things. It's not designed to be a race bike. It's designed for cruising.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

For a beginner or just commuting, I think the 650 would be just fine...it has similar power to the Honda Shadow 750, and tons of people start their riding on those...infact, a buddy of mine has been riding his Shadow for 6 years now & still loves it...so to each his own...but my other buddy is just getting his bike license now and I steered him toward the Star 950 or the Vulcan 900 (also would have suggested the Suzuki M50 if there was one in the show room at the time), only because I know he will want to hit the hiway more which is where you would find the Star 650 & Shadow 750 a little lacking...the Hp difference isn't much but the torque is higher on the bigger bikes, which makes for less down shifting and an easier ride.

But the 650 is a great example of a beginner platform, or a good bike for a person of smaller stature (the guy that is still on the Shadow is 5'6, my other buddy is 5'11...it does make a difference)

Just my opinion of course...I voted: Cool.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I keep going back and forth on this one...

On the one hand, you've got a solid, manageable cruiser with clean, uncluttered lines, a convenient seat height and a shaft drive. This bike would do exactly what a mid-size cruiser should do -- fade into the background and let you enjoy the ride.

On the other hand, 49mpg seems really low to me for a 650cc v-twin with a 514lb road weight. My 800cc Vulcan and Carrie's 750cc Shadow are both heavier than this bike, and lay out better fuel consumption numbers. Mileage is usually a factor for people shopping at this displacement, and while fuel consumption as a whole isn't really the point of a cruiser, it makes me suspect of the underlying engineering.

All that said, I'll say again that I appreciate Yamaha's evolution from bulbous, bulky 'cop bikes' to these sleeker, more contemprorary profiles. Yamaha, welcome to the third millenium. Have a Cool on me.