Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: This Week: 2015 Yamaha SR400 - Vote Today

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Cool. Even cooler once the café racer crowd go nuts on this thing. Price is weird though. How can something that's 6k in the US cost almost 10k British pounds? For comparison, a Triumph Speed Triple is less than 9k pounds.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#12 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yeah...

Again, being new to our sport means that the retro thing just doesn't do it for me. I totally get how this would appeal to a particular crowd though, and that crowd includes my lovely wife. She actually teared up a bit looking at this.

So, for that reason, I guess I have to hand out a Cool vote. But this seems almost predatory to me -- $6,000 for a piece of nostalgia. Given what else may be available at this price point, they're clearly banking on an emotional response rather than a practical one.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

A true time machine from 1978... the 2015 Yamaha SR400. People always say "why don't they make things like they did back in the day" and now, you can truly have a bike from that era but with modern parts. I really like how it still offers a kick start (that is SOOOOOOOOOO Cool!) and with 35 years of parts (Yamaha never stopped making this bike worldwide) you have as many parts for a SR400 as a Harley-Davidson and all the custom kits too. :D

I've been wanting to see the manufacturers release more "cool starter bikes" and a 400cc is the PERFECT engine size for new riders and if you can make it cool as well, you have a real winner. I can see this model as a good base for extreme customation at a budget price.

For me, I always said I'd re-buy my 1982 Yamaha Seca XJ650R again they did to it what they did to this one. :revv:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Rubiadiabla
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2014 CTX 1300,2012 Ninja 650

#14 Unread post by Rubiadiabla »

It's no joke I prefer the new design trends vs the retros but because it made me feel nostalgic I had to vote COOL. I learned on an almost indestructible early '70s Kawy 175cc that looked an awful lot like this bike. And look awful it did! Lol from tearing up and down country roads all Summer to daring acts of taking wicked jumps constructed of concrete blocks under a sheet of plywood this bike was bad@ss. I had to call my dad to reminiscent and our conversation left us both smiling and wondering whatever happened to that old tank??? It deserves a cool just for the kick start. However due to the price tag, if get a hankering to have one in our garage I have to say I'd be looking for another 1970s sonething out of the classified ads. A nice weekender project with my husband and the kids.
'Well behaved women seldom make history.' -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#15 Unread post by sunshine229 »

How can this not be awesome?!?! It's a wonderful starter bike and one that is so desparately needed! When I started 10 years ago I could pick up a >500cc bike from the '80s but today those '80s bikes are less desirable for new riders because they are too old and may require too much maintenance for a newbie. So I say, bring it on! This is exactly what we need right now!!!
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2015 Yamaha SR400 - Coolness Factor = 80.5%
Featured: February 14th, 2014 - March 21st, 2014
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=48989
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -SR400.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2015 Yamaha SR400 is:

Awesome (3 points) 54% [ 22 ]
Cool (2 points) 37% [ 15 ]
Uncool (1 point) 7% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 2% [ 1 ]

Total votes : 41

= a Coolwall Factor of 80.5%

NOTES: When Yamaha announced the "new" 2014 SR400 I knew they could very well have a real winning idea on their hands, but a cool wall result of 80.5% really puts it solidly into the Awesome range. I hope Yamaha sees the results here on Total Motorcycle and on the sales floor as I'm sure we would like to seem a few more of our beloved classics come back again!

Next 2014 TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting on, have fun!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Shriker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '13 VMax,'98 VTR1000F, '87 XT350

Re: 2015 Yamaha SR400 - Coolness Factor = 80.5%

#17 Unread post by Shriker »

Definitely cool......the SR's were/are great bikes. I do agree though that a bit of updating sure would be nice though while still keeping it simple. Rear disc brake and a bit of styling help. Maybe they will offer a cafe version if it does well.....that would be nice.

eoinm44
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: KTM RC 390, Ninja ZX-6R

Re: 2015 Yamaha SR400 - Coolness Factor = 80.5%

#18 Unread post by eoinm44 »

The last edition also looks the same. Yamaha has launched the final edition of the SR400 in Japan. It comes in two colour options and there is also a limited edition model. There are no major mechanical changes in this retro classic in the latest edition. The Yamaha SR400 comes with an air-cooled single-cylinder engine that makes around 24 PS of power. Sadly this is going to be the last edition of the popular single-cylinder cruiser. Yamaha has not revealed any information on whether they will launch this bike US or European market. Currently, it is only listed on the Japanese website of Yamaha Motors.