Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Indian Chief Vintage - Coolness Factor = 81.0%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Indian Chief Vintage on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm

recognizable...

The best of all worlds: Timeless, authentic style, versatile features and modern technology for a smooth-handling, high-performance ride.

2016 Indian® Chief® Classic, Indian® Chief® Vintage and Indian® Chieftain®

For 2016, Indian Motorcycle returns with its award-winning lineup of Indian Chief models delivering the power, handling, unmatched engineering and stunning beauty of the industry's hottest heavyweight cruisers. Powered by the proven Thunder Stroke 111 engine and covered in premium chrome, the Indian Chief family delivers the impeccable styling and sophisticated performance of the Chief Classic; the classic looks, beautiful fringed leather saddle bags and paint schemes of the Chief Vintage, and the cruising comfort and exceptional handling of the Indian Chieftain hard bagger. Continuing its tradition of stunning colors and head-turning two-tone paint palettes, the 2016 Indian Chief lineup, starting at $17,699, offers gorgeous new color options that include:

- Indian Chief Classic: Pearl White
- Indian Chief Vintage: Star Silver & Thunder Black
- Indian Chieftain: Silver Smoke, Indian Motorcycle Red & Ivory Cream, Star Silver & Thunder Black

2016 Chief Dark Horse | Chief Classic | Chief Vintage | Chieftain

For 2016, Indian Motorcycle continues to sell its award-winning Indian Chief models, delivering the power, handling, unmatched engineering and stunning beauty of the industry's hottest heavyweight cruisers and baggers.

The Indian Chief family has impeccable styling and sophisticated performance. The proven Thunder Stroke 111 engine powers them all (an air-cooled version is on the Chief Dark Horse, Classic and Vintage), but each model has its own character and style.

Riders can opt for the Chief Classic (cruiser) with its classic looks, much cleaner now following some re-work carried out for 2016: solo vinyl seat, black switches, single headlight and cast aluminium wheels. It now also only comes in one colour; Pearl White.

Next there's the Chief Vintage (bagger) with its beautiful fringed leather saddlebags and seats, and quick-release windshield (all as standard) making this the option for those who plan to ride on extended road trips. Four colours are available with one of these being new for 2016.

The Chieftain (bagger) has a large fairing with a power-adjustable windscreen (to offer superb cruising comfort), genuine leather seats and hard saddlebags with remote central-locking. It's available in four colours in 2016 with two of these new.

Finally there's the Chief Dark Horse. This is the most striking cruiser on the market. It is matte black from end-to-end with only a few flashes of chrome (accessories are available to fully blacken it out). This bike makes a statement even before you fire it up. It looks intimidating, but its low seat height and balance makes it very easy to swing a leg over and ride, plus it's the best entry point to ride a Thunder Stroke 111 powered Indian Motorcycle. Propelled by 139Nm of torque and the same chassis and suspension from the award-winning Chief Classic, the Chief Dark Horse rolls with ABS, a remote key fob for keyless ignition and electronic cruise control.

The colour options for all of the Chief models this year are:

Chief Classic
Pearl White - NEW
Chief Vintage
Star Silver and Thunder Black - NEW
Thunder Black
Indian Motorcycle Red
Willow Green and Ivory Cream
Chieftain
Silver Smoke - NEW
Star Silver and Thunder Black - NEW
Thunder Black
Indian Motorcycle Red
Chief Dark Horse
Thunder Black Smoke

2016 Indian Chief Vintage - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $21,999 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $25,999 CDN

Engine
Drive/Driven Clutch
Wet, Multi-Plate
Engine Type
Thunder Stroke® 111
Displacement
111 cu in / 1811 cc
Bore x Stroke
3.976 x 4.449" (101mm x 113mm)
Compression Ratio
9.5:1
Electronic Fuel Injection System
Closed loop fuel injection / 54mm bore
Final Drive
2.2 : 1
Drivetrain
Primary Drive
Gear Drive Wet Clutch
Performance
Peak Torque
119.2 ft-lbs/ 138.9 N m
Peak Torque RPM
3000 rpm/2600 rpm
Suspension
Front Fork Tube Diameter
(94 mm)
Gear Ratio (Overall)
1st
9.403 : 1
2nd
6.411 : 1
3rd
4.763 : 1
4th
3.796 : 1
5th
3.243 : 1
6th
2.789 : 1
Chassis
Suspension: Front - Type/Travel
Telescopic Fork/4.7" (119 mm)
Suspension: Rear - Type/Travel
Single Shock / 3.7 in
Brakes/Front
Dual / 300mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
Brakes/Rear
Single / 300mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
Tires/Front
Dunlop® American Elite 130/90B16 67H
Tires/Rear
Dunlop® American Elite 180/65B16 81H
Wheels
60 Spoke 16" x 3.5" Front and 16" x 5" Rear
Exhaust System
Split dual exhaust w/ cross-over
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase
68.1 in / 1730 mm
Seat Height
26.0 in / 660 mm
Rake/Trail
29°
Overall Width (in./mm.)
39.4 in / 1000 mm
Overall Height (in./mm.)
58.7 in / 1490 mm
Ground Clearance
5.5 in / 140 mm
Fuel Capacity (Litres)
5.5 gallons / 20.8 liters
Overall Length (in./mm.)
103.7 in / 2634 mm
Trail
6.1 in / 155.0 mm
GVWR
1260 lbs / 573 kgs
Weight (Empty tank / full of fuel)
801 lbs / 835 lbs (364 kg /379 kg)
Features
Color / Graphics
Willow Green and Ivory Cream
Standard
Standard Equipment
ABS; Cast Aluminum Frame with Integrated Air-Box; Cruise Control; Highway Bar; Indian® Script Tank Badge; Keyless Start; Light Bar; Desert Tan Genuine Leather Seats; Quick Release Lexan Windshield; Quick Release Vintage Leather Saddle Bags; Vintage Fender Badge

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Indian Chief Vintage - Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Waaaaay back in 2011, we had the 2012 Indian Chief Vintage as our first Indian model up on our Cool Wall... What has changed with the Indian Chief Vintage since then? Quite a lot! New company, new engine, refined design...

Are all these changes enough to make it cooler? OR has time passed the Vintage by...

2016 Indian Chief Vintage
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm

2012 Indian Chief Vintage
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Flipper
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2010 Ninja 250

#3 Unread post by Flipper »

Yippie yi yo ki yay!
Gave it a cool
2010 Ninja 250
2006 CB600F (sold)
2006 Honda Rebel (sold)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

It's just a bit too much for me; too much money, weight, chrome, tassels, fringe, etc. It's a bit of a parade float, isn't it?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Grey Thumper wrote:It's just a bit too much for me; too much money, weight, chrome, tassels, fringe, etc. It's a bit of a parade float, isn't it?
Yes, but is it a good parade float, compared to, for instance.......... a Harley-Davidson, like a Softail Heritage Classic? :bling:

I've heard only good things about that new Indian engine. Gave it a Cool.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#6 Unread post by faded sun »

Grey Thumper wrote:It's just a bit too much for me; too much money, weight, chrome, tassels, fringe, etc. It's a bit of a parade float, isn't it?

+1

But still, a tinge of cool. You would watch a parade go by, surely?
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I was going to vote Awesome because I just love the fact that Indian sticks so closely to its heritage roots with this model, but then I saw the price... and went with Cool. Sorry but I'd buy a car before a bike at $25k. For me, a bike should be less than $12k. Regardless, this is a very cool modern version of an old classic and I think it's wonderful that Indian is back in the game!
Andrea :sun:

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jstark47 wrote:I've heard only good things about that new Indian engine. Gave it a Cool.
It's really a matter of aesthetics. My favorite Indian with the new engine is the Dark Horse. But my favorite of the entire lineup is the Scout.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

It's not my style of bike but I have to give it an awesome for the fact that the Indian company has really undergone a much needed transformation and injection of R&D. Indian had a real following up till the 40s, then went away, was re-started twice with shaky starts, now in their 4th reincarnation, we have a real winner. Just take a look at the 4 years from these two models. The bikes look about the same, same name and style, but quite a lot of difference in R&D. I have to agree with both Grey Thumper and Sunshine229's thoughts as well. $26k is really pricy indeed and I'd like to see these tourers much lower in cost.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Indian Chief Vintage - Coolness Factor = 81.0%
Featured: September 11th, 2015 - September 18th 2015
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52025
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... intage.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Indian Chief Vintage is:

Awesome (3 points) 50% 14 ]
Cool (2 points) 43% [ 12 ]
Uncool (1 point) 7% [ 2 ]
Fail (0 point) 0% [ 0 ]

Total votes: 28

= a Coolwall Factor of 81.0%

Notes: A truly spectacular result puts the new 2016 Indian Chief Vintage into the current 4th spot on the Cool Wall! Riders really like the new engine and the new Indian Motorcycle Company under Polaris. Indian will be very happy with this showing indeed! The other side of the coin the new Chief lost some votes on being a little too pricey and a little too "parade float like". What do you think?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!