Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2016 Cleveland CycleWerks Misfit Gen II - Vote Now

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Cleveland CycleWerks Misfit Gen II
Featured: October 2th, 2015 - October 9th 2015
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52175
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Gen-II.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Cleveland CycleWerks Misfit Gen II is:

Awesome (3 points) 13% [ 3 ]
Cool (2 points) 54% [ 13 ]
Uncool (1 point) 13% [ 3 ]
Fail (0 point) 21% [ 5 ]

Total votes: 24

= a Coolwall Factor of 52.8%

Notes: The result turned out to be very, "meh", but I think CCW will still be happy with a 52.8% vote. It's a "around $3k" Chinese bike competing in a world of world class manufacturer's and if you look at it that way, it's most likely the highest rated Chinese bike out there! The design is a amalgamation of every other manufacturer's design successes, which is sad, but in a way early manufacturers copied the designs of those more successful. (ie, Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki in the late 70's early 80's copied the Harley look). So maybe this is just a repeat of a 40 year old record?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

Re: 2016 Cleveland CycleWerks Misfit Gen II - Coolness Factor = 52.8%

#12 Unread post by faded sun »

" The design is a amalgamation of every other manufacturer's design successes, which is sad, but in a way early manufacturers copied the designs of those more successful. (ie, Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki in the late 70's early 80's copied the Harley look). So maybe this is just a repeat of a 40 year old record?"

Well, I disagree with that a wee bit:

I happen to own a 1984 Honda VT750C Shadow and the reason I love the look of it is because Honda didn't copy the Harley look, they re-invented it. Possibly this didn't result in as big a market share as they hoped so they now just blatantly copy Harley forms - see current Shadow model mediocrity - and be dammed with it. (Sigh...) At least the Fury and the Sabre (why did they think this looked anything like the Sabre?) are kind of going for that custom chopped look. And I remember the Virago from Yamaha and the lovely V-max were similarly trying something new, design-wise.

My point? I guess I just feel that Soichiro was a tad more visionary in his designs than just copying What Worked Before. Let's face it, this doesn't look like a Honda product or Yamaha or Kawasaki.

(Not sure just what the heck they think they are doing these days at Honda but I'm not about to buy a new bike anyway and there are lots of old ones I like around if I want to own three.... )

Here's the link to a picture of the Shadow of days gone by:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1984+hon ... nYIexm0%3D

Jeepers! what a link!
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

faded sun wrote:" The design is a amalgamation of every other manufacturer's design successes, which is sad, but in a way early manufacturers copied the designs of those more successful. (ie, Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki in the late 70's early 80's copied the Harley look). So maybe this is just a repeat of a 40 year old record?"

Well, I disagree with that a wee bit:

I happen to own a 1984 Honda VT750C Shadow and the reason I love the look of it is because Honda didn't copy the Harley look, they re-invented it.

My point? I guess I just feel that Soichiro was a tad more visionary in his designs than just copying What Worked Before. Let's face it, this doesn't look like a Honda product or Yamaha or Kawasaki.

Here's the link to a picture of the Shadow of days gone by:

Jeepers! what a link!
Funny enough, I owned a 1984 Honda Magna V30 as my first bike. Very, very similar in looks to the VT750 Shadow of the same year. True enough, not every cruiser bike Honda/Kawi/Suzuki/Yam designed was aimed at Harley, but many of the 70's and a few 80's ones where. The late 70's was somewhat of a "cruiser" revolution for the Japanese, the Cruiser was a completely new design idea and they went after the most successful cruiser design at the time, the H-D. But to be fair there cruisers were mostly buckhorn/bull bars, chrome and weird seats! While they didn't steal a lot of design off H-D, they were "close enough" at the time with just these items added... sorta like we coined the "UJM" term at the time.

Odd late 70's cruisers Like the odd GS750L

Yamaha xS1100SE

82 Kawasaki 440LTD

Honda CX500 Custom

Suzuki 1400 Intruder

Odd bikes for sure. And yes, what made Honda remake the Sabre turn from a muscle standard into a cruiser? LOL

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

Re: This Week: 2016 Cleveland CycleWerks Misfit Gen II - Vote Now

#14 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
faded sun wrote: Never seen a bike list a top speed in the specs before, except that NoX monster from Kawasaki, which is another universe from this one.
70mph would be a tad optimistic I would say for 14.8hp, but I would think they are putting it there to show it can do highway speeds. A Ninja 250R would do 90mph @ 28hp and streamlined at that. I'm not sure if I would really be happy with a 14.8hp on the highway...

Mike
My Helix would run 70 and I doubt that had >15HP.

Oengus
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: Honda CB200 1974

#15 Unread post by Oengus »

I think the design is pretty vanilla, the first image has a different engine then the second image.
The engine in the actual bike offered in the USA, if any are actually, try to find one, is a 229cc OHV with an external balance shaft. That engine is a torquey single based on a Honda CG150, it is a pretty durable design.
The engine in the first image has a OHC engine, would be similar to the Honda 223cc with similar output.
The engine in the second image is a 500cc OHC single, that engine is based on a Cagiva design.
I also notice the wheelbase specified on the new Misfit is obviously off, there is just no way it has a 1230mm wheelbase, it is larger than that.
The big question would be what would you pay for a 500cc version, a 223cc version and the only likely offering coming your way the 229cc version.
The sweet spot price for selling Chinese motorcycle is much lower than most would imagine. Once the prices go over $1,500.00 the sale fall in units. CCW pegged all it 229cc offerings at around $3,000.00, which includes the Heist and Ace. The Heist was marginally successful, my observation. I do not see the others selling well, the set the MSRP so high the sales a few and far between.
In case you were not aware the Motorcycle Industry in China will offers about 18M units of production this year. The unit values average out of the factories at under $600.00 each. They mass produce, for example the ACE is based on a GS125 Suzuki frame and the unit cost of those FOB USA is likely at $750.00 or less.
Another point is that the big difference between a 125cc and all engines above that is top speed, they both will get you up to speed in traffic, not highway though, then also your weight and inclines will show differences. If it is only for commuting or getting around in the city, you only really need a 125cc.
CCW may be working with SSR, they share a common market and also an OEM.
However most “motorcycle companies” that are selling Chinese made have more than one OEM. The entity in the US is legally required and who processes the certifications required for sale in the US.

Biggest problem is that most that purchase Chinese do so for the bargain prices. They do not really compete with major brands, they compete against each other, lowest prices for similar offerings.
A brand named Dongfang offers up several models with the 229cc OHV engine they sell of around 2k or under, they keep attempting to sell for $2,000.00 and know that inventory sits at that price.
Dongfang offers a close to the same version of the Heist and it out sold the Heist, how do we know because they keep importing them and selling them, while CCW’S inventory ages.
Another issue is that certain design element the Chinese copy are actually identical too actual in production models of major brands, in that selling them in the US can get the people selling the trademarked designs in legal trouble with the owners of the trademarked designs.
Looks sort of like or kind of looks like is not a problem, any exact copies would be though, even if it is just the shape of a side cover.