Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: This Week: 2016 Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm

#11 Unread post by Gummiente »

Jarlaxle wrote:No, my Burg is a 400cc single. There is no possible way a 500cc Enfield tops 100MPG.
Your Bergman still has the benefit of liquid cooling and better technology and at 56mpg is still not as efficient. And it is possible to crack the 100mpg barrier with an RE, but it can only be done on the Electra model, which was dropped from the North American market two years ago. It came with a 17T front sprocket and taller wheels as opposed to the Classic's 18T. It also had different sidecovers on the motor which gave JUST enough clearance to fit an 18T front sprocket in there. I did that to two of our customer's Deluxe models and both of them recorded average mpg figures of 102mpg.

All that aside, it's still comparing apples to oranges. The RE and the Bergman are two distinctly different vehicles in purpose and execution.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente

#12 Unread post by Gummiente »

I voted "cool", but only because there isn't a "meh" option. I've sold, ridden and worked on the new Royal Enfields and I think they are fantastic value for the money and an absolute blast to ride. From an aesthetics viewpoint, though, I find the Desert Storm to be lacking. The Military is a much better looking paint scheme IMO, as it extends the flat olive drab colour to the wheel rims and spokes, shock absorbers and tail light housing, which gives it a more authentic look than the shiny rims and other miscues on the Desert. Also, as mentioned on here already, it isn't really a distinct separate model from the rest of the lineup. It's simply a standard Classic with a different paint scheme.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Thanks Gummiente for jumping in there with your RE expertise, very helpful and much appreciated!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Cool

It's a classic, not just in name but in design. In fact, I would hedge to bet the Royal Enfield is the most classic of all bikes in current production, even the Harley-Davidson sportster as I believe the RE design goes even further back than the HD design and RE is less changed than the HD has been. (wow, that's a lot of abbreviations).

That said, it's a cool bike and I like the new tract Royal Enfield is going down. Sad to see no new models for 2016, but I'm hoping 2017 will bring along something that is using the Continental GT engine/R&D to it. I like the color choice on the Desert Storm and it looks quite authentic military to me. I like the RE Classics, but love the GT :)

Royal Enfield wants to be THE LEADER in 500-750cc bikes, so let's see them shoot for the moon... even if they fail at it, it will only be better for all us riders and might even encourage other brands to take them on!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm - Coolness Factor = 64.7%
Featured: April 29nd - May 6th, 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52988
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -Storm.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2016 Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm is:

Awesome (3 points) 18% [ 3 ]
Cool (2 points) 59% [ 10 ]
Uncool (1 point) 24% [ 4 ]
Fail (0 point) 0% [ 0 ]

Total votes: 17

= a Coolwall Factor of 64.7%

Notes: One of the oldest (if not the oldest) current classic bike in production with only few changes over decades. Did you know Royal Enfield has a huge cult following in countries like India where it is akin to Harley-Davidson in America? The majority of TMW readers agree, it's a cool bike, but could use a little something to make it a little more special.

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#16 Unread post by High_Side »

Gummiente wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:Kind of cool...has EFI, a kick starter (which all bikes should have), decent power around town and should be highway-capable if necessary, and should also run on just about any grade of gas. Rear suspension travel is a bit short, but the sprung seat will help that. I give it a "cool".
I just retired from an Ural and Royal Enfield dealership last year. The rear suspension is not as short as you think; I'm a big boy and took many of them out on their PDI test runs without ever bottoming out the rear or front suspension. The sprung seat took a bit of getting used to for some of the customers, as they found it a bit unsettling to have their body bouncing over bumps while the bike seemed solid. A light rider can wick up to around 75mph (with the factory free flow exhaust and K&N filter), but the bike is really not happy at that speed. 50-60mph is where it is most content and will purr along all day. Anyone who wants the RE experience in fast forward should take a look at the Continental GT instead; 80mph+ out of the box and a lovely ride. Premium unleaded is the only recommended fuel, as lower grades can not be compensated for by the EFI and pinging will result under high load and hot weather conditions. At 70mpg with a 3.8gal tank, though, one doesn't lose a lot of money by using the recommended fuel anyway.
Heya Gummy - it's been a long time!

A few years ago the local Ducati dealer (they change about every two years here in Calgary) was selling Enfields and I had the opportunity to ride the classic and absolutely loved the bike. The only issue that I had with it was the vibes when you got to 100km/hr. At 80km/hr it was silky smooth and I cannot help but think it would be a great way to explore back roads, taking my time and enjoying what a simple bike can bring. I think the GT is great looking bike but honestly if I am playing with 25hp. a cafe riding style is not what I am after. Therefore - when you were at the dealership had anyone upgraded the motor bits on a classic to GT spec? It seems like a no-brainer to me and I am surprised that Enfield has not done it themselves yet.

Cheers,

High_Side

Gummiente

Re: 2016 Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm - Coolness Factor = 64.7%

#17 Unread post by Gummiente »

It's good to be back, Mr High Side.

In theory, one could graft the naughty bits from a GT onto a Classic, but in practice it's a bit complicated and would be a lengthy process. OEM spares for the GT are in short supply due to the world wide demand for these bikes, but compounding the issue is that RE does not allow its North American dealers to maintain a stock of rare internal bits like the 535 con rods, pistons, cams, EFI module and so on. The only way we (when I worked at the dealer) could get parts like that was if they were part of a warranty claim - and we had to provide photographic evidence of the failed parts first before they would ship out replacements.

Aside from that, stuffing GT internals into a Classic motor really doesn't gain much in the end anyway, as the Classic still has the somewhat antiquated traditional suspension and frame that will inhibit enjoyment in the fast lane. Dropping in the complete 535 motor at the factory is unlikely to happen, at least not until the insane demand for the GT has leveled off and extra motors are available. We were able to coax a precious few more HP out of our customer's Classics by switching to an NGK Iridium spark plug (much easier cold starting, idling, better spark at high RPM), a K&N air filter and a D&D exhaust system or, if money was a concern, the RE "off road" low restriction, slip on mufflers. The parameters of the Keihin EFI chip were able to compensate for this without needing a reflash, which is good because RE did not make access available to the chip by its dealers. I have heard, though, that Dyno Tune has come out with a plug and play replacement for the stock EFI. Coupled with the K&N filter and D&D full stainless exhaust, this should give all the extra HP that is sufficient for the Classic frame and running gear to handle.

As for the vibration at higher speeds, keep in mind that there is no counterbalancer in this motor (which is amazing, considering it is a solid mount to the frame, too) and the natural sweet spot by design is in the 80-95kmh zone for these bikes. The GT is the bike you need if you want to see regular duty in the 110-120kmh zone, as the bike has been designed for those speeds.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: 2016 Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm - Coolness Factor = 64.7%

#18 Unread post by High_Side »

Thanks Gummy.