Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Coolness Factor = 71.1%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2016 Yamaha XSR900 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XSR900.htm

2016 Yamaha XSR900 on http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com

The Faster Sons Philosophy...

Yamaha’s ‘Faster Sons’ philosophy continues to grow; tipping its hat in respect to the bikes that came before, whilst showing pride in the faster sons of today and tomorrow.

The Sport Heritage bike building philosophy pushed the boundaries of motorcycle technology earlier this year, bringing Faster Sons to life with the XSR700. The cool, retro styled street bike paid tribute to the iconic Yamaha XS650 on the surface whilst showcasing the latest in Yamaha technology under the skin to deliver timeless style with an involved, emotional riding experience.

Yamaha continues to evolve its Sport Heritage range, never standing still. Now a new chapter has arrived with the second model that lives and breathes the Faster Sons philosophy, the all-new XSR900.

The Shinya Kimura collaboration with Yamaha saw the Faster Sons philosophy realized and confirmed with the ‘Faster Son’, influencing the development of the XSR700. The XSR900 shares a similar story, continuing to develop the Faster Sons story through collaboration with iconic builders. It was Roland Sands’ stunning triple concept, the ‘Faster Wasp’ launched earlier this month that further validated the philosophy. The concept shone with classic retro style blended with cutting edge technology and a strong race influence, inspiring the concept of the XSR900.

Design Inspiration

Building on the success of the XSR700, The all-new XSR900 steps up to join the Sport Heritage range, again paying tribute to the iconic motorcycles of Yamaha’s past, including the first 4-stroke model,

The simple, timeless styling of the XSR900 is perfectly blended with colour schemes and graphics to reflect Yamaha’s sporty DNA, its history and its iconic motorcycles of the past. Beneath the retro inspired exterior lies the latest and best of Yamaha’s technology, promising a true emotional riding experience.

The XSR900 delivers on its authentic feel with minimal use of plastic resin parts, instead offering high quality components to reward the senses. A 14-litre fuel tank with aluminium covers takes centre stage ahead of a split level stitched seat and is complimented by front and rear aluminium fenders, aluminium side covers and a sporty aluminium headlight stay. A matt black exhaust system with contrasting polished muffler end cap provides a throaty soundtrack to any riding adventure.

The Ride

The XSR900 has the ‘Go’ to match the ‘Show’ with a powerful in-line 3-cylinder 850cc Crossplane Concept engine. The liquid-cooled 4-stroke motor benefits from some of the latest bike technology to deliver an unparalleled riding experience, including a Traction Control System (TCS) and an Assist & Slipper (A&S) clutch.

The TCS is fully adjustable with three performance modes depending on the road conditions. Riders can opt for minimal or maximal intervention and can also switch the system off completely when appropriate to do so.

The A&S clutch adds another level to rider enjoyment, providing more comfort through a gentler machine motion resulting from back torque when downshifting through the gears. It also creates a lighter clutch feel, inspiring more confidence when starting off and also coming to a stop, particularly when riding in the city.

To reach the full potential of the powerful and involving engine and technology package requires a chassis set up to match, and the XSR900 doesn't disappoint. A lightweight CF aluminium die-cast frame cradles the heart of the machine whilst the swingarm’s pivot is attached to the outside of the frame, creating a narrower, slimmer area around the feet. The end results deliver a foot position on par with an inline 2-cylinder motorcycle.

Keeping the ride under control and offering even more input for the rider are the front and rear suspension setups. 41mm upside down forks at the front and a linked-type Monocross rear with shock unit are taken from the class leading Yamaha MT-09, and given specific setting changes for the XSR900. Rebound damping is adjustable at the front and preload and rebound damping at the rear, giving total control.

The carefully thought out and designed engine and chassis package, mixed with cutting edge electronics means the XSR900 has everything to offer riders who already have a base set of riding skills and are maybe ready to step up from an entry level sport bike. The new Sport Heritage machine is also the perfect choice for those who appreciate the real fun of riding motorcycles and who take the design and style of their machines seriously. The icing on the cake for total control comes in the form of Yamaha’s D-MODE selection system, allowing the selection of engine character to suit the riding conditions. Riders can switch between sharper response characteristics and a milder, gentler setting with easier-to-use power for more challenging road conditions.

STYLE ALL ITS OWN

The XSR900™ blends Yamaha engineering with neo-retro style, creating a new machine for riders looking for an authentic and honest motorcycle with plenty of performance.

Conquer Road

Introducing the new XSR900. Based on the popular FZ-09, the XSR is a beautiful blend of 3-cylinder performance and eye catching "authentic sports" styling. The XSR includes all of the FZ-09's key features plus traction control and ABS equipped brakes. A natural riding position offers solid riding comfort while the new slipper clutch with assist highlights the more serious sports side of the XSR. Tasty, timeless styling combined with plenty of Yamaha's latest technologies, the XSR is guaranteed to provide a fun, exciting ride.

2016 Yamaha XSR900 - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $9,490 - Matte Gray/Aluminum - Available from March 2016; $9,990 - 60th Anniversary Yellow - Available from April 2016
Canada MSRP Price: $10,699 - Matte Gray/Aluminum - Available from March 2016; $10,990 - 60th Anniversary Yellow - Available from April 2016

Engine Type 847cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline 3-cylinder 4-
stroke; 12 valves
Bore x Stroke 78.0mm x 59.1mm
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Fuel Delivery Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed; multiplate assist-and-slipper wet clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension / Front 41mm inverted fork, adjustable preload and
rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
Suspension / Rearv Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound
damping; 5.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 298mm discs; ABS
Brakes / Rear 245mm disc; ABS
Tires / Front 120/70ZR17
Tires / Rear 180/55ZR17
L x W x H 81.7 in x 32.1 in x 44.9 in
Seat Height 32.7 in
Wheelbase 56.7 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 25.0°
Trail 4.1 in
Maximum Ground
Clearance
5.3 in
Fuel Capacity 3.7 gal
Fuel Economy** 44 mpg
Wet Weight*** 430 lb

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XSR900.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2016 Yamaha XSR900 - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Thanks to High_side for recommending not only the 2016 Yamaha XSR900 for this week, but for pointing out, that I completely forgot to add the 2016 Yamaha XSR900 to our 2016 Yamaha Model Guide! DOH.

It's added now though in all it's glory. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... XSR900.htm :revv:

Enjoy!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

Awesome, looks like a fun bike. 115hp and a triple, Rad high enough to be protected from the road crap coming off the tire. Some flat back to the radiator side panels so it would blend in. Seems like we have already had this bike? Slap on my tail bag for my work stuff and this would be a fun commuter. Checked out yamahas site and it has some good accessories for the bike.
check this review out, Yamaha XSR900 Review at RevZilla.com

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

I felt it looked a little too parts bin special but it is growing on me - a lot. If you take a look at what customizers have been doing with this bike it helps to seal the deal. I vote awesome.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:I felt it looked a little too parts bin special but it is growing on me - a lot.
I know what you mean... and I ABSOLUTELY love it in that Yamaha retro racing yellow paint too... I can't believe Yamaha slapped on extra cost for the paint "$9,990 - 60th Anniversary Yellow "... it's like they knew I wouldn't have given a damn about the extra cost and would order that one anyways...!

LOL

Mike

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Not bad, wonder where they dug up that old school helmet from.
Always ask why.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

ceemes wrote:Not bad, wonder where they dug up that old school helmet from.
They seem to be everywhere these days. Blackfoot Cycle here in Calgary has an entire section for hipster type gear but I barely felt cool enough to be in there. The older and more beat up the gear looks, the more that they charge for it ......hehe

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

High_Side wrote:
They seem to be everywhere these days. Blackfoot Cycle here in Calgary has an entire section for hipster type gear but I barely felt cool enough to be in there. The older and more beat up the gear looks, the more that they charge for it ......hehe
That explains the silly offers the bike shop got for my jacket. Put my bike in to get some maintenance done, namely brakes and rebuilding the front fork with heavier spring, and new seal along with new tires (she handles like a completely different bike, very nimble) and left my leather jacket there as it was baking that day. Figured they hang it up in the closet, but instead had it hanging on the jacket rack. Seem's a lot of people showed interest in it and were making offers. I've had it now for six years so you can imagine how beat up it has become after riding in all sorts of weather.
Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I think it's awesome. I appreciate that Triumph and Guzzi try to make their retro bikes as period-looking as possible. Ural and Royal Enfield are essentially selling slightly updated, newly-manufactured vintage bikes.

But the XSR900 is a different take on retro; it's clearly a modern bike, but with classic cues, shapes, and proportions, a bit like the Ducati Scrambler. That said, there are a lot of clunky details that show this wasn't originally intended to be retro, and is a modified existing design. I don't mind, you can always mod it further, and I'm willing to put up with some ugly bits in exchange for modern bike performance (horsepower, upside down forks, twin front disks, slipper clutch, traction control, etc.).
Last edited by Grey Thumper on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:
Maybe I can sell them my 16 year old Joe Rocket Ballistic 1.0 jacket! LOL

"Famous and it's been ridden around the world!"

Starting price... $10. :)

Mike