2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines - Coolness Factor = 68.1%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines is:

You may select 1 option

View results

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: This Week: 2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by Gummiente »

Ok, so... ever since the V-Rod first came out I had visions of a punched out motor lifted from one and shoved into a Road Glide chassis. A full on liquid cooled, powerful road muncher that could give the Gold Wing, BMW, etc a serious run for the money. With draconian EPA and Euro pollution regs lurking in the not too distant future, I was convinced that HD would have to see the light sooner or later and make the inevitable step to leave the air cooled motors for the history books. But, no, every year they found new ways to squeeze more efficiency out of the Twin Cam unit, lately at the expense of excessive heat and a class action lawsuit because of it. I figured last year was the furthest they could push the envelope, what with catalytic converters, liquid cooled exhaust ports, big jeezuz pistons and a fuel map so lean you could roast a ham between the cylinders in no time.

Then the news breaks a few days ago... they've gone back to the single cam, but this time with 4 valves per head and even bigger pistons and the result is, apparently, the coolest running and most powerful motor to date. And it FINALLY has a counterbalancer, something that came with the Softail motors since the TC88 first showed up. I spoke to the tech at the local HD boutique who had just completed a PDI and test run on a new Street Glide and his impressions were very favourable. In fact, he was raving about the damn thing. Smooth running, clear mirrors at all speeds, no more 3rd degree burns on the thighs and tons of power on tap. And for the first time since back in 08 when they upped the motor size, added fly by wire throttle and bigger rear tires, I felt something I'd never thought I'd feel again... Interest.

If this motor really does what they says it does, if it provides the reliability they say it will and if it rides as wonderful as they tell me it does... the Harley Road Glide might make it back onto my Top 3 list of bikes that would replace my '07 if I ever get tired of it. I say "if" because I'm from Saskatchewan and I need to see for myself. As soon as the demo fleet comes within reach of where I live, I will ride one. Then I will make my decision. Until then, I am abstaining from this week's vote.

In the mean time, I will continue to view HD's every action with suspicion. Ever since they pulled the rug out from underneath Buell's feet and set MV Augusta adrift, I have steadily lost respect and belief in The Motor Company. And the recent decision to kill off the V-Rod (only 12 units slated for Canada this year, then no more) is not helping any.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#12 Unread post by ceemes »

Gummiente wrote:, I have steadily lost respect and belief in The Motor Company. And the recent decision to kill off the V-Rod (only 12 units slated for Canada this year, then no more) is not helping any.
Holy crapola, I think I just saw Gummy's unicorn wizzing overhead!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Always ask why.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#13 Unread post by NorthernPete »

That's a motor. Yup.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#14 Unread post by montanalifter »

I gave it a cool and then changed it to uncool. Just should have not voted. No meh, option. And I almost always vote cool on this forum. I just feel as their next engine it could of been so much more but they probably don't want to offend their faithful. Full liquid cooled, 125-160 or more horses, could still be a twin, or triple. Yeah I know they will never do anything but a twin. Sounds like it will be a good engine from their description anyway.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome.. it was going to be cool, but H-D scored the extra points they needed in the end FTW.

Can't really fault H-D for making even bigger engines... well, yes I can, didn't they learn "too big to fail" usually does? Didn't H-D see the history of the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 or the Honda VTX1800 or even the Triumph Rocket III with it's massive 2300cc triple? These bikes didn't do well, not because they didn't have a market or were bad in any way, they were just too much engine, costly, heavy and hot running. Now H-D is getting close to that 2000cc market. It's getting me a little worried as there isn't a smaller cc backup in their big bikes anymore.

That said, I've somewhat criticized Harley-Davidson for their, ahem, lack of innovation... but in the past few years, they are at least putting a good foot forward. Still no Buell R&D (#$@) and no innovation with the V-Rod nor any word of a engine that isn't a V-Twin...

The 107 and 110's should prove successful and they have addressed the weaknesses of the 103's heat issues and vibrations. Shame they can't find away around "the only answer is bigger and heavier" problem...

Speaking of innovation... what's up with the 883 and 1200 Sportster engines? Will H-D EVER innovate those? Basically the same engines since 1983... argh.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines - Coolness Factor = 68.1%
Featured: August 26th - September 2nd, 2016
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ht-107.htm
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ht-114.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines is:

Awesome (3 points) 52% [ 12 ]
Cool (2 points) 22% [ 5 ]
Uncool (1 point) 4% [ 1 ]
Fail (0 point) 22% [ 5 ]

Total votes: 23

= a Coolwall Factor of 68.1%

Notes: Like Paula Abdul's song "Two steps forward, one step back", Harley-Davidson two-steps along with their new 2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines. By remaining true to H-D heritage but complying to ever increasing government regulations, H-D pulls a rabbit out of the hat and does the nearly impossible. Will we see another bigger version in 5 years time? Will the Milwaukee-Eight be the last of the air cooled line? Will the new engine live up to the hype?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

Re: 2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines - Coolness Factor = 68.1%

#17 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

Not fully water-cooled.
Not smooth running.
Still uses the stuck-in-1930 separate primary chain.

Fail.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#18 Unread post by faded sun »

ceemes wrote:
Gummiente wrote:, I have steadily lost respect and belief in The Motor Company. And the recent decision to kill off the V-Rod (only 12 units slated for Canada this year, then no more) is not helping any.
Holy crapola, I think I just saw Gummy's unicorn wizzing overhead!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:laugh5:
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: 2017 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107/114 Engines - Coolness Factor = 68.1%

#19 Unread post by Hanson »

Horsepower data, new H-D engines, currently lack.

Yoda says when you can't brag about your horsepower, focus attention on your torque. Horsepower is not everything, torque even less so.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage