Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: TOTAL MOTORCYCLE COOL WALL - 2017 RESULTS

#21 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Ducati 959 Panigale - Coolness Factor = 72.6%
Featured: May 26th, 2017 - June 2nd, 2017
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54354
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nigale.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale

Awesome (3 points) 9
Cool (2 points) 4
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 2

Total votes: 17

= a Coolwall Factor of 72.6%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Undeniably fast and furious. But Undeniably fast and furious for their own and their riders own good? Where can you really ride it 8/10ths? In the city? In traffic? Commuting? Even in Texas where speed limits reach 85mph (Austin, Texas SH130 On Texas 130 Tollway) the bike is just getting into it's stride and wants to go faster.

I've rode some very fast bikes, but approaching 8/10ths on them is not as fun as it might seem, you never use 4,5th gears, even at 3rd you are going past highway speeds. Forget downshifting to find power and while very flick able, try to find that S corner you can push the bike with around the city!

In all my riding (and living) around the world, there are very few "push the bike" roads or areas that have been on the top of my list. Here are two that could push a 959:

Calgary S Curve: Wonderful S curve that hugs a wall on the way up a steep hill. Tests the suspension, the engine and the rider.*
Calgary.jpg
Calgary.jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 17733 times

London, UK "racer road": Hills, curves, S curves, scenery, low traffic even a 1 way bridge over a canal. Locally known as the motorcycle road of death due to riders pushing a little too hard. Amazingly fun to ride at 8/10ths*.
London.jpg
London.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 17733 times
* Always ride within your and the Law's limit. Ride safe, ride long.

Mike

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male

#22 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT - Coolness Factor = 72.6%
Featured: June 2nd, 2017 - June 9th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54370
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 1000XT.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT

Awesome (3 points) 6
Cool (2 points) 8
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 17

= a Coolwall Factor of 70.6%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: You sure don't buy a Suzuki V-Strom to win a fashion show (psst, it is kinda ugly), but it's all about practicality and purpose and thankfully the V-Strom wins that hands down. Some of the negatives our readers pointed out is maybe there is too much technology on it not only does it raise the MSRP but complexity isn't something that's a pro when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Other than that, it is a great bike in a segment that is oversaturated with choice. You could easily choose much worse for more money.

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Piaggio Beverly 300 by Police - Coolness Factor = 59.5%
Featured: June 9th, 2017 - June 16th, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54378
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Police.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Piaggio Beverly 300 by Police

Awesome (3 points) 2
Cool (2 points) 8
Uncool (1 point) 3
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 14

= a Coolwall Factor of 59.5%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: "Don't judge me man!". Scooters are everywhere and nowhere. We see them but most of us don't want to be seen on one (even if we secretly think they are cool). I think it's a perception issue, of what others think of us and the location we are riding it. Overall, the 2017 Piaggio Beverly 300 by Police is as mean as they come. It's like a gangster smart car with 25" rims. But can it be taken seriously?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Honda Grom - Coolness Factor = 72.9%
Featured: June 16th, 2017 - June 23rd, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54384
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-Grom.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Honda Grom

Awesome (3 points) 8
Cool (2 points) 4
Uncool (1 point) 3
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 72.9%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Low cost, high customizability, low power, high fun. markdcoco's post this week was excellent and hit the nail on the head. "I look at it as a custom bike starter kit. It is an excellent low-cost platform that can be used to produce anything from a custom dirt bike to a cafe racer to a superbike style ride. Me thinks they did a fantastic job and look forward to someday building a custom toy."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer - Coolness Factor = 69.8%
Featured: June 23rd, 2017 - June 30th, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54393
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -Racer.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer

Awesome (3 points) 9
Cool (2 points) 6
Uncool (1 point) 5
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 21

= a Coolwall Factor of 69.8%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: As SNL's The Festrunks (Dan Akroyd and Steve Martin) coined "Wild and crazy guys!" so too is the 2017 Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer. Designed to be wild, made for crazy nights. Not a massive hit with our members though in scoring as it really isn't either a Café Racer or a Scramble but really an *interpretation of both styles (*ty markdcoco for the word). Maybe we should call it a Café Rambler?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Victory Cross Country Tour - Coolness Factor = 66.7%
Featured: June 30th, 2017 - July 7th, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54399
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... untry-Tour

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Victory Cross Country Tour

Awesome (3 points) 5
Cool (2 points) 3
Uncool (1 point) 1
Fail (0 point) 2

Total votes: 11+20% non-votes (at least).

= a Coolwall Factor of 66.7%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Direction and indecision. Good words to describe Victory and their last/newest model, the Cross Country Tour. With very mixed results, more so than the votes show. In fact, riders are very mixed on not how to vote but even if they should vote at all (hint: you should always vote).

Victory is gone, for now. Which is a shame, no matter what you think of the brand, more competition is good for the market, is drives innovation, lowers pricing and offers new exciting models for your dollar. Will Indian be as successful as Victory has been? Let's hope it is more successful. Only time and sales will tell.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2010 Phantom EG - Coolness Factor = 57.8%
Featured: July 7th, 2017 - July 14th, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54407
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... Phantom-EG

Your Coolness Factor of the 2010 Phantom EG

Awesome (3 points) 6
Cool (2 points) 2
Uncool (1 point) 4
Fail (0 point) 3

Total votes: 15

= a Coolwall Factor of 57.8%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Unique, special, craftsmanship, heritage. Words that are not always synonymous with today's motorcycles. The Phantom EG represents the nicheist of niche markets, the "if I won't the lottery I'd buy one" or "if already had one of everything, like Jay Leno, I might go for this". Was it too retro for retro, is the 1920's style a cut-off date? It failed in the market to find enough buyers, but if you are going to fail, so out with style I say!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000R - Coolness Factor = 77.1%
Featured: July 14th, 2017 - July 21st, 2017
Most popular vote category: TIE Awesome/Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54419
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... GSX-R1000R

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000R

Awesome (3 points) 5+2
Cool (2 points) 6+1
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 0

No votes Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 77.1%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: If you like your life a 1/4 mile at a time, then Suzuki has a bike for you. Fast and Furious, the new 2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000R pulls no punches, asks for no excuses and gives no quarter. Are you as hardcore as it?

While that sounds like an amazing promo video for Suzuki to sell a boat load of 2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000R's, the simple fact remains it is a highly technological machine that only works best on a track with a very highly experienced rider. Outside of the ideal environment (or movie), it's less than ideal. But your insurance company will love you.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Cleveland CycleWerks Ace Scrambler - Coolness Factor = 56.3%
Featured: July 21st, 2017 - July 27th, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54426
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -Scrambler

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Cleveland CycleWerks Ace Scrambler

Awesome (3 points) 4
Cool (2 points) 7
Uncool (1 point) 1
Fail (0 point) 4

Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 56.3%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Have you seen the price of motorcycles today? They cost more and more each year. Some are the price of a car or even two cars! so riders want lower cost motorcycles and Cleveland CycleWerks delivers with a line of $3300 motorcycle models. Are CCW bikes great? No, but they are "cheap" and sometimes new and cheap is exactly what a rider is looking for. Just bring some tools with you.

For those interested in the voting numbers, our forum poll isn't the only place votes come from! We also have a voting poll going on each week for each Cool Wall bike on our main site: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/category/cool-wall/

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Indian Roadmaster Elite - Coolness Factor = 42.4%
Featured: July 28th, 2017 - August 4th, 2017

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54435
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... te-review/

Your Coolness Factor of the 2018 Indian Roadmaster Elite

Awesome (3 points) 1
Cool (2 points) 4
Uncool (1 point) 3
Fail (0 point) 3

Total votes: 11

= a Coolwall Factor of 42.4%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Unique, comfy, stylish and horrendously expensive. Overall 42% Cool. Ouch. Shockingly the new 2018 Indian Roadmaster Elite finishes less than Cool than a 1/11th the cost ($3300) CCW. Ouch. I'm not sure Polaris is going to be celebrating this "Victory" anytime soon.

Best comments of the week: "Lazy Boy Recliner on wheels"; " But I'm still gonna laugh behind my hand while I pass you on the left. You probably wont notice over the Steeley Dan blaring on the 300 watt sound system though" , "I like the idea of buying 11 other rides instead of this one. That way you could at least rent them out and make a decent income.", "Disparaging comments by the usual suspects, check. Yep, looks like another normal week in store for the TMW Cool Wall".