Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - Coolness Factor = 76.9%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... uke-GT.htm

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT on www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Adrenaline...

The 1290 Super Duke R got us thinking. What if we could match The Beast’s interstellar performance to all day, two-up comfort? What if we would train the most dynamic naked bike ever to race any paved road the world has on offer? Regardless of the weather. Over and over again. So we brought out the big guns, aiming for state-of-the-art ergonomics, electronics and extreme stamina. The result is a long distance V-twin rocket that proudly roars past the top of the food chain, hungry for more. For miles. The faster, the better. A motorcycle that is equally happy hunting horizons, as it is chasing superbikes. And crushing them – not only at cruising speeds. Welcome to the world of the 1290 Super Duke GT, where refinement, comfort, speed and ultimate performance rule.

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

Long distance thrills.

WP semi-active suspension
Road-hugging handling

With 3 ride options including ‘Comfort’, ‘Street’ and ‘Sport’, the innovative WP semi-active suspension system adapts damping in real-time to the riding surface and weight distribution on the bike.

High-tech electronic assistance
Speed off more easily

MSC (Motorcycle Stability Control) features Cornering ABS and has an optional Supermoto mode.

Together with MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control), these features let you ride harder for longer with your wheels firmly on the road.
PreviousNext

Speed off more easily

Practical features like Cruise Control, ATIR (Automatic Turn Indicator Reset) and TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) make those longer trips effortless.

Speed off more easily

MSR (Motor Slip Regulation) ensures sudden deceleration is always smooth and predictable, while HHC (Hill Hold Control) keeps steep pull-offs easy and LED cornering lights with integrated LED indicators maximize cornering safety.

1301 cc motor
Limitless V-twin power

The 1290 Super Duke R’s cylinders were adapted to specially developed GT cylinder heads and a new crankshaft. With 144 Nm max. torque - of which 114 Nm is on tap from just 3250 rpm. Can you say READY TO RACE?

Exceptional adjustability
Comfort is the key

With 22 mm of handlebar adjustability across four possible positions, three different positions for the brake and shift lever and infinite positioning options for the hand levers, lower foot pegs and adjustable windshield - this is the most ergonomic SPORTS TOURER of all time.

Equipped to go the distance
Terrific touring stamina

With the likes of a 23 liter long-range fuel tank, an easy-to-adjust windshield, integrated pannier mountings that are easily removable, heated grips, long service intervals and race-derived quick shifter; let the race begin.

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for Pricing in USD
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £15999 GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)

Engine
" Design
2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75°
" Displacement
1301 cm³
" Bore
108 mm
" Stroke
71 mm
" Power in KW
127 kW
" Starter
Electric starter
" Lubrication
Forced oil lubrication with 3 oil pumps
" Transmission
6-speed
" Primary drive
40:79
" Secondary gear ratio
17:38
" Cooling
Liquid cooled
" Clutch
PASC (TM) slipper clutch, hydraulically actuated
" EMS
Keihin EMS with RBW, twin ignition
Chassis
" Frame design
Chromium-Molybdenum steel trellis frame, powder coated
" Front suspension
WP Semi-active suspension USD Ø 48 mm
" Rear suspension
WP Semi-active suspension monoshock
" Suspension travel (front)
125 mm
" Suspension travel (rear)
156 mm
" Front brake
2 x Brembo monoblock four-piston radial fixed calliper, brake discs, floating
" Rear brake
Brembo twin-piston fixed calliper, brake disc
" Front brake disc diameter
320 mm
" Rear brake disc diameter
240 mm
" ABS
Bosch 9ME Combined ABS (incl. cornering ABS and supermoto mode, disengageable)
" Chain
X-Ring 5/8 x 5/16"
" Steering head angle
65.1 °
" Wheelbase
1482 ± 15 mm
" Ground clearance
140 mm
" Seat height
835 mm
" Tank capacity (approx.)
23 l
" dry weight
205 kg

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... uke-GT.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Brand new for 2017!

I try to find unique photos of each and every model that the other sites don't have, thus the first photo is of the designers and production staff who brought you the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT! They are even wearing KTM shoes.

Enjoy the discussion.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

As an owner of an older Superduke I should love the styling but I find it a little bland from most angles except the fairing which I just cannot get my head around. Beyond that, dynamically it is supposed to be something quite amazing from the reports that I have read. So I'll go cool. Make it sexier and it would be awesome.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

A 173 horsepower sorta standard, sorta sport tourer, with luggage, heated grips, cruise control, reasonable wind protection, reasonable pillion room, and a 6 gallon fuel tank with 250+ miles of range? How can this not be awesome?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#5 Unread post by Hanson »

"The result is a long distance V-twin rocket that proudly roars past the top of the food chain, hungry for more. For miles. The faster, the better."

Despite the size of the gas tank and cruise control, this is not a great choice for long distance endurance riding. Ergonomics are far from optimal, wind protection looks to be a major issue, and the idea that faster is better with respect to endurance riding is utter nonsense. This is a largely naked performance bike with a marketing plan, not a great bike for endurance riding.
ImageImage

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

T
Grey Thumper wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:32 pm A 173 horsepower sorta standard, sorta sport tourer, with luggage, heated grips, cruise control, reasonable wind protection, reasonable pillion room, and a 6 gallon fuel tank with 250+ miles of range? How can this not be awesome?
I voted: AWESOME

That is about what I would say... what more would a rider want? This is the perfect super-tourer. (yes, I just make up that term).

But, I think it is going to be QUITE pricey though. KTM won't sell lots of them, but you won't see them on the streets like every other major dual-sport on the market, making the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT extra special.

Great looking bike really. Not so sure about the KTM comfort of the seat though...

Mike

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Hanson wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:55 amDespite the size of the gas tank and cruise control, this is not a great choice for long distance endurance riding. Ergonomics are far from optimal, wind protection looks to be a major issue, and the idea that faster is better with respect to endurance riding is utter nonsense. This is a largely naked performance bike with a marketing plan, not a great bike for endurance riding.
I don't think KTM meant it for endurance riding, and neither will the people who are considering it. It's not competing against dedicated touring bikes (or even sport touring bikes). I think it's for people who want to have fun in the twisties, but sometimes, those twisties are quite a distance away. Or maybe you love canyon carving but are simply tired of the, um, dedicated riding position of a focussed sport bike. You're right, it's a largely naked performance bike, with a bit (just a bit) more wind protection and a bit more comfort. Sometimes, "just a bit" is all people are asking for.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I was at the dentist last night looking at the latest copy of Inside Motorcycles and noticed they gave the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT the "2016 Bike of the Year" award.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - Coolness Factor = 76.9%
Featured: March 3rd, 2017 - March 10th, 2017
Most popular vote category: TIE Awesome/Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54235
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... uke-GT.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT is:

Awesome (3 points) 12
Cool (2 points) 12
Uncool (1 point) 0
votesFail (0 point) 2

Total votes: 26

= a Coolwall Factor of 76.9%

Notes: Sometimes on the Cool Wall, a bike is just bland and (if a motorcycle could even be) boring. Other times, we get a real interesting model up and is such the case with the new 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with an Awesome/Cool vote tie. But with a 76.9% rating, not is all rosy as it first seems as we get thoughtful opinions from "How can it not be awesome" to "This is a largely naked performance bike with a marketing plan, not a great bike for endurance riding". Could it be looks, power, range and options are just part of the package that obscures purpose?

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!