totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: THIS WEEK: 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT - VOTE NOW

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

NorthernPete wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:56 pm My brother just bought a new wee strom. Gonna steal it some day lol
You should... it is a fun bike to ride, really cheap on gas, you could easily adjust the rear suspesion and very, very comfortable (with the optional Suzuki OEM gel seat) in fact I nicknamed my weestrom "Chesterfield" (couch in UK English).

The only downsides I had with mine was wind buffeting at speeds over the front wind shield. A common issue with the previous generation that is hopefully fixed for this new generation.

Let me know how your brother likes his new wee strom, or better yet, get him to post a review about it right here. :)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

faded sun wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:33 pm I just wonder how many of them actually see off-road use. You know what I mean? If I was headed for the Darien Gap I would be on a KLR, not a V-Strom. And it would have knobby's on the rims. Just sayin'.
Just read the post and thought I'd comment. I purchased my 07' V-Strom 650 to do more off-roading in Alberta (mountains, rock roads and mud). It really wasn't bad at it with stock tires. Some notables:

1. I did accidentally go 110km/h off-road when the paved road ended and it handled it.
2. I did (on purpose) go 50km/h on 3-4" deep heavy rock road for about an hour. The rim was buried pushing the rocks aside it was that deep.
3. Mud and dirt roads were not an issue.

The issue that I didn't like was how high the bike was. Yes, I know that brings suspension travel, sight lines, etc in the mix, but I kinda preferred my standard off-roading than a dual sport.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT - Coolness Factor = 72.6%
Featured: June 2nd, 2017 - June 9th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54370
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 1000XT.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT

Awesome (3 points) 6
Cool (2 points) 8
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 17

= a Coolwall Factor of 70.6%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: You sure don't buy a Suzuki V-Strom to win a fashion show (psst, it is kinda ugly), but it's all about practicality and purpose and thankfully the V-Strom wins that hands down. Some of the negatives our readers pointed out is maybe there is too much technology on it not only does it raise the MSRP but complexity isn't something that's a pro when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Other than that, it is a great bike in a segment that is oversaturated with choice. You could easily choose much worse for more money.

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#15 Unread post by NorthernPete »

totalmotorcycle wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:24 am
Let me know how your brother likes his new wee strom, or better yet, get him to post a review about it right here. :)

Mike
I'll have a chat with him. He's got to get his license again since he didn't get a full M endorsement. He will be borrowing my SR for the parking lot test. Bit of a difference I'm sure. Lol
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F