Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#349: 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT - Coolness Factor = 92.2%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... dct-review

7-SPEED DCT AND TRAVEL TRUNK.

2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT Review on Total Motorcycle:

The three 2018 Gold Wing Tour models—Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT, and Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag—are the modern interpretation of the classic Gold Wing, the ultimate long-distance touring machine, but with highly improved performance capabilities. Each of these models features saddlebags and a top case, as well as a tall electrically adjustable windscreen, front and rear speakers, and electrically adjustable suspension.

Adds great features like:

Seven-speed automatic DCT
Walking Mode
Reverse
7-SPEED AUTOMATIC DCT TRANSMISSION
This is huge news for 2018. For the first time ever, the Gold Wing is available with a brand new 7-Speed Automatic DCT. The shifts in this version are faster and smoother than ever, and the overdrive seventh gear is perfect for highway cruising.

The next chapter in one of Honda’s most storied narratives began today with the unveiling of the 2018 Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models. Revealed during a special event at Santa Barbara, California’s MOXI Museum of Exploration and Innovation, the all-new Gold Wing takes cues from the legendary GL models that came before it while maximizing potential through a lighter, more thrilling, and more technologically advanced package with a new engine, chassis, and electronics suite.

“It’s a great feeling to pull the wraps off the all-new Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models here in Santa Barbara, a scenic town that itself strikes a balance between its celebrated history and modern flare,” said Chuck Boderman, Vice President of American Honda’s Motorcycle Division. “The impact of the GL line on the motorcycling world can be seen in the community that has formed around it, and we believe that in this latest version, Honda has produced a motorcycle that will be embraced by not only the existing Gold Wing community, but a fresh generation of riders seeking strong handling performance along with long-distance touring capabilities. Lighter, more agile, and more sophisticated, the 2018 Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour set a new standard for the touring category, with groundbreaking features that enhance the riding experience and encourage riders to get out on the road, creating more exciting stories than ever before.”

This is a bike 43 years in the making. Rebuilt from the road up. Refined inside and out. Ready for anything. There’s a new engine. New front suspension. Available 7-speed DCT. All in a more agile body that’s over 85 pounds lighter. You’ll also find the latest in technology, including Apple CarPlay integration, and five distinct trim levels to suit your style. The 2018 Gold Wing is designed to push the limits of what a touring bike can be. And expand the adventure beyond anything imagined.

Redesigned from the wheels up, the new Honda Gold Wing is sharper, more compact and lighter; its monumental flat six-cylinder engine now features 4-valves per cylinder and comes equipped with Throttle By Wire, 4 riding modes, Honda Selectable Torque Control and Hill Start Assist. The new chassis features an aluminium beam frame, double wishbone front suspension and single-sided Pro-Arm – damping is electrically adjustable, as is rear spring preload. An electric screen, Smart Key and Apple CarPlay are also standard equipment. An entirely new, third generation of Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission – with seven speeds – will also be available.

2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $27,700 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $31,999 CDN

ENGINE
Engine Type 1833cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder
Bore And Stroke 73mm x 73mm
Induction Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
Ignition Full transistorized Ignition
Compression Ratio 10.5:1
Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cyclinder
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Seven-speed automatic DCT, plus reverse and walking mode
Final Drive Shaft
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension Double Wishbone Type; 4.3 inches travel
Rear Suspension
Pro Arm® single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® single shock with computercontrolled
spring preload adjustment with two memory presets; 4.1 inches travel
Front Brake Hydraulic; dual 320mm discs
Rear Brake Hydraulic; single 316mm disc
Front Tire 130/70R-18
Rear Tire 200/55-16
DIMENSIONS
Rake 30.5 degrees
Trail 109mm (4.3 inches)
Wheelbase 66.7 inches
Seat Height 29.3 inches
Curb Weight
833 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel –
ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 5.55 gallons
Miles Per Gallon TBD
OTHER
Model ID GL1800
Emissions Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards.
Available Colors Candy Ardent Red, Pearl White, Pearl Hawkseye Blue
FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
Three Years
Transferable, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; Up to 8 years extended coverage
available with Honda Protection Plan

For MORE information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... dct-review
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: #349: 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Big news is the release of the brand new Honda Gold Wing this week from Honda and I have an equally BIG review page for the new Honda Gold Wing right here on Total Motorcycle! HOW BIG? Over 30 pages of information and photos...you can't/won't find that anywhere else. :)

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... dct-review

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

Awesome. So much better looking that the previous model.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Why don't Gold Wing riders wave at other riders?
Because it takes too long for them to find the auto wave button.

When the big wing first debut way back in '74, it was something different, something new, something exciting, something very bold. A big touring bike with a touch of the hooligan inside it. I remember being a teenage back then visiting the local Honda dealership and drooling over the big winds on display. Back then the dealers had no problems with us teens sitting on those bikes dreaming our dream, many because he figured in a couple of years we would be buy one of his used smaller bikes, and he was correct.

But overtime the big wing evolved, fibreglass side bags were added along with a big heavy front fairing which added weight necessitating in a larger engine, but still those early full fairing bikes still had a wee touch of the hooligan in them. But like the old Ford Thunderbird which started out as a two-seater roadster/sport car in the mid 50's and evolved into a massive full size luxury sedan by the mid 70's, the big wing has "matured" and evolved into what it is today, a massive, heavy, comfortable and rather pedestrian (read as boring) touring machine. It has sadly long lost any hint of the hooligan those early wings had back in the day. Personally, I am a little sad about that.

I went with uncool only because we still don't have a meh or in the case of this poor old wing a milquetoast option. Really it falls somewhere between cool and uncool.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:08 am Why don't Gold Wing riders wave at other riders?
Because it takes too long for them to find the auto wave button.

But overtime the big wing evolved... and evolved into a massive full size luxury sedan by the mid 70's, the big wing has "matured" and evolved into what it is today, a massive, heavy, comfortable and rather pedestrian (read as boring) touring machine.
After reading ceemes thoughts, it is true the Gold Wing became the "Winnebago" of touring motorcycles and got... well. fat. I think the 2018 realized this and one went to the gym a little. Crazy as it seems, do you think it is an updated 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII 15 years later more than the old Gold Wing? What do you think all?

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/ ... VoyagerXII

I had a good laugh BTW ceemes at the Wing' joke...haha

Mike

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#6 Unread post by markdcoco »

Can't say that I disagree with all of your colorful descriptions of previous Goldwing models (prior to 2014). While previous Goldwing models close resemblance to dad's barco-lounger was a prime reason I purchased a BMW R1200RT....... the changes to the 2018 will be the prime reason I sell my RT and purchase a new Goldwing. (If anyone is interested it's a 2014 R1200RT with every conceivable option (except a trunk) and only 6,700 miles)

As for their power and speed, this review includes a lot of track time with pegs scraping.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7d7ux_6yE&t=402s

Obviously "awesome" for me.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome.

Honda did a great job at redesigning the Gold Wing, more that just a refresh, it is definitely more interesting in every way than the previous models. I still can't get my head around the fact it has Apple Carplay, shouldn't it be Apple Motorcycleplay? Anyways, the new Gold Wing looks "lighter" and more "Stylish" .... and more "naked tourer" than ever before... well, maybe not never before, but in a very, very long time.

But it is still heavy, 833lbs. Funny enough, that figure isn't as monstrous as it once was, even Harley-Davidson's are into (and 100lbs past) that now! Still, heavy stuff.

Why are motorcycles so heavy today anyways?

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I can't believe this but the 2018 Honda Gold Wing rockets up to 1st Place as THE COOLEST BIKE OF 2017 (thus far)

2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT - Coolness Factor = 92.2%
Featured: November 3rd, 2017 - November 10th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54539
Total Motorcycle model page: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... dct-review

And now the results of your votes for the 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT

Awesome 14

Cool 2

Uncool 1

Fail 0

Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 92.2%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-Way: Wow. 92.2% Cool. Am I reading that right (I had to double check). I can't believe this but the 2018 Honda Gold Wing rockets up to 1st Place as THE COOLEST BIKE OF 2017 (thus far). Beating out the 2017 BMW S1000RR which was voted 88.3% Cool way back in Feb 10th to Feb 17th, 2017. A Gold Wing, #1 Cool Wall bike. Again, wow. Way to go Honda!! We still have another 6 bikes to go for the 2017 Cool Wall... will the 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour Automatic DCT finish #1? Can anything be Cooler than a Gold Wing? Maybe. This week, it goes up against the new 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS... retro cool with a force.

Cool Wall Comment of the Week: "the changes to the 2018 will be the prime reason I sell my RT and purchase a new Goldwing." - Markdecoco