Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#350: 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE - Coolness Factor = 90.9%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... -se-review

TRUE SPIRIT.

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE Review on Total Motorcycle:

Introducing Kawasaki’s long-awaited retro sport model. Conceived in homage to the legendary Z1, the newest Z is a synthesis of the traditional and the modern. An engine with a traditional In-Line Four configuration is backed by Kawasaki’s latest rider support technology. For riders searching for a bike with character and a rich history, the Z900RS offers both in abundance, while providing an opportunity to slow down, look around and enjoy the simple things that life can bring.

There’s no place for fake in the lifestyle you choose. Kawasaki alone has the heritage to deliver yesterday’s values to today’s riders in a truly authentic Modern Classic bike. The visceral spirit of a 1970s legend – Kawasaki’s original king of cool Z1 – finds expression in the Z900RS, to satisfy the very essence of the rider you are now.

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits

EXCLUSIVE ON THIS VERSION

KTRC (Kawasaki TRaction Control)

Contributing to rider reassurance, the Z900RS is equipped with advanced Kawasaki rider support technology. KTRC features two modes that cover a wide range of riding conditions, offering either enhanced sport riding performance or the peace of mind to negotiate slippery surfaces with confidence.

Dual-Dial Instrumentation with Multi-Function LCD

Analogue-style speedometer and tachometer dials are complemented by a multifunctional LCD screen, balancing retro-style looks with modern functionality.

Radial-Mount Front Brakes

ø300 mm front discs gripped by radial-mount calipers provide sure, strong stopping power. Radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to brake touch and control.

ERGO-FIT

ERGO-FIT is an interface system that allows a wide range of riders to feel at one with their machine.

ABS

ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) ensures stable braking performance by preventing wheel lock during braking.

Horizontal Back-link Rear Suspension

Horizontal Back-link Rear Suspension arranges its shock unit horizontally, greatly contributing to efficient use of space and mass centralisation.

Assist & Slipper Clutch

Based on racing technology, the Assist & Slipper Clutch acts as both a back-torque limiter and a self-servo mechanism that enables a lighter clutch lever pull.

Dual Throttle Valves

Dual Throttle Valves offer increased power and greater ease of use care of a second set of ECU-controlled throttle valves.

Economical Riding Indicator

The Economical Riding Indicator is a mark appearing on the instrument panel to indicate favourable fuel consumption, encouraging fuel efficient riding.

KTRC (2-mode)

Two modes KTRC cover a wide range of riding conditions, offering either enhanced sport riding performance or the peace of mind to negotiate slippery surfaces with confidence.

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $TBA USD
Canada MSRP Price: $13,199 CDN

Engine

Displacement 948cc

Type 4-stroke, In-Line Four

Bore and stroke 73.4 x 56.0 mm

Cooling Liquid

Compression ratio 10.8:1

Valve system DOHC, 16 valves (4 valves per cylinder)

Fuel system 36 mm x 4 with sub-throttles

Ignition Digital

Lubrication Forced lubrication (wet sump)

Brakes

Front: type Dual semi-floating 300 mm petal discs

Front: calipers Dual radial-mount, monobloc, opposed 4-piston

Rear: type Single 250 mm disc

Rear: calipers Single-piston caliper

Dimensions

Overall length 2,100 mm

Overall width 865 mm

Overall height 1,150 mm

Wheelbase 1,470 mm

Ground clearance 130 mm

Seat height 800 mm

Curb mass** 214 kg

Fuel capacity 17 litres

Drivetrain

Transmission 6-speed, return

Final drive Chain

Primary reduction ratio 1.627 (83/51)

Gear ratio: 1st 2.917 (35/12)

Gear ratio: 2nd 2.059 (35/17)

Gear ratio: 3rd 1.650 (33/20)

Gear ratio: 4th 1.409 (31/22)

Gear ratio: 5th 1.222 (33/27)

Gear ratio: 6th 0.967 (29/30) [

Final reduction ratio 2.800 (42/15)

Clutch Wet multi-disc, manual

Frame

Type Trellis, high-tensile steel

Wheel travel: front 120 mm

Tire: front 120/70-ZR17M/C (58W)

Wheel travel: rear 140 mm

Tire: rear 180/55-ZR17M/C (73W)

Caster (rake) 25º

Trail 98 mm

Steering angle (left/right) 35° / 35°

Performance

Maximum Power‡ 82 kW {111 PS} / 8,500 rpm

Maximum Torque‡ 98 N·m {10.0 kgƒ·m} / 6,500 rpm

Suspension

Suspension, front 41 mm inverted fork with compression and rebound damping and spring preload adjustability

Suspension, rear Horizontal Back-link, gas-charged shock with rebound damping and spring preload adjustability

Details

Warranty 12 months warranty
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: #350: 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Just released from Kawasaki for 2018... the Retro Z900RS!

To avoid confusion, the Z900RS is available in 3 different models (depending on where you are). No information yet out of Kawasaki if it is coming to the USA... The Z900RS SE is an interesting overlap model with the UK version. In the UK, the normal RS is offered in the same retro paint, but in Canada the RS is only black.

– 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe^ – New model (Canada, Europe)

– 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE^ – New model (Canada, Europe)

– 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS^ – New model (Canada)

Thanks to montanalifter for suggesting this week's Cool Wall bike.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#3 Unread post by montanalifter »

Love the look reminds me of my kz650 when I was in high school. 109 horses with 450lbs should get you going well also. The dual analog gauges are nice as it would seem weird to have a digital speedo on a bike like this. I voted awesome.

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#4 Unread post by ZRex »

Awesome, I would vote Awesome on all of the Z900s.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

I am sorry, but I just can't vote awesome for this bike.....I'd dearly love to, but I just can't. It is beautiful, it hearkens back to a time when motorcycling was "pure", just you, your machine and the road, its got the "right" engine, a naked inline four just screams Japanese muscle, minimal body work and just pure naked loveliness. And that traditional bench saddle...sigh.......but given all that and more, I just cannot in all honesty vote awesome, nor even cool for that matter........

.....coz this bike transcends awesome and we need a whole category Mike.......Sub Zero....Uber Kool......Heat Death Cool.......
Always ask why.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Love it. And it's got 2 wheels.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#7 Unread post by montanalifter »

(admin notes: I changed your video, hope you don't mind)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I am with ceemes here. Is there something more than AWESOME to vote?

I voted: Awesome.

Wow, amazing. It is like I just time traveled to when the Z1 was offered for sale. Amazing retro job. I guess if you never seen the original nor have any connection to the Z1/Z900 then I could see this as an "old bike"... maybe that is what the 60-70's inspired bikes look to those older than me? I don't have a connection to say a 40s Indian or 50s Harley-Davidson, but I do with the 70s and 80s UJMs... Interesting thoughts.

Anyways, Kawasaki did an amazing job recreating the original bike to today's designs and style. It has everything I would want as a rider... but what does it sound like? It is revvy and loud sounding like those UJMs of old? Or like a more modern I4 that's quiet? Will I fit on it? I didn't fit on the Honda CB1100 retro to much disappointment.

Price is ok, power is more than fine, tank is a little small at 17l, But really, if you want one, BUY ONE, don't let the new Z900RS fall the same way the ZRX1100R and ZRX1200R did (slow sales). I really loved those ZRX's, rode one, almost bought it, but the looks didn't match it's character.

It will be interesting to see if the new 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE beats our #1 bike of the year so far, the 2018 Honda Gold Wing!

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE - Coolness Factor = 90.9%
Featured: November 10th, 2017 - November 17th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54541
Total Motorcycle model page: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... -se-review

Your Coolness Factor of the 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS SE

Awesome 16
Cool 6
Uncool 0
Fail 0

Total votes: 22

= a Coolwall Factor of 90.9%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-Way: Amazing retro. It is not just that it looks retro, it is the skillful implementation of the design and technology to not spoil the heritage appearance. If you had ANY positive connection to 70s/80s UJMs and you love the looks of the new Z900RS, then you deserve to own this bike. There are some cons (small tank, could be a little better priced), maybe you are not a fan of the color scheme, but again, if you have a connection, these cons will disappear as the miles roll by. I was a little worried Kawasaki was not going to bring any of the new retro Z900s to North America as the ZRX1100R/1200R sales were slow, I hope the Z900RS sells like hot cakes.

For those interested, the new Z900RS finished #2 as our Cool Wall bike so far, missing the #1 bike, the new Honda Gold Wing, by 1 awesome vote.

Cool Wall Comment of the Week: This week's comment is actually a video:

- Markdecoco

Mike