#372: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 (WINNER) vs 2018 Zero SR

This or That. Pick Only One. One will leave as Champion, the other in shame. YOU CHOOSE.

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#372: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 (WINNER) vs 2018 Zero SR

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

THIS? OR THAT! on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

Pick One. One will leave as Champion, the other in shame.

Week #372. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadies and gentlemen, may I have your attention!

In a surprise upset, the 2006 Ducati GT1000 (a 12 year old motorcycle bested) the returning champion (2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black)... Does this mean the 'Hipster Douchebag's' (thanks markdcoco) are winning or whining? Well, we shall soon see, this week, I am throwing in an odd-ball sportbike in the mix... the 2018 Zero SR, electric, modern, silent....

DING, DING.

Let's have a clean fight and no hitting below the airbox.

2006 Ducati GT1000 - vs -2018 Zero SR

THIS:

2006 Ducati GT1000
Information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/ ... ati-GT1000

CLASSIC STYLING WITH MODERN PERFORMANCE

Back in 1971 the GT was a bike to be ridden every day, it combined sport bike and touring features in a balanced and beautiful Italian package. With a dual seat and single headlamp, it was an essential motorcycle, much like today’s “naked” or “traditional” motorcycles. It was a commonsense motorcycle, but its beauty was uncommon. The L-Twin engine was left fully exposed to flaunt its elegant features. Dual chrome silencers swept rearward accenting the attractive lines of the bike. Everyday performance was never so well executed. Until now.

Although classically styled, the 2006 GT1000 is engineered to deliver modern Ducati road performance. With its comfortable two-up riding position and confident handling, it is perfect for the daily commute or a weekend trip to the mountains. Powering the GT is the 1000 DS engine, the most advanced, most powerful Ducati air-cooled engine ever.

In the Gran Turismo Tradition

OR THAT:

2018 Zero SR
Information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... -sr-review

What street riding is meant to be. Stunning acceleration at any RPM, sharp lines and sporty ergonomics transform your daily ride into a thrill. With an aerodynamically efficient riding posture that helps deliver up to 223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway, the Zero S offers the highest range in the Zero lineup.

2018 Zero SR ZF14.4 Power Plant

Maximum torque, performance and range.

Upgrade to Zero’s fiercest power plant, the Zero SR is quick enough to out-accelerate a Porsche 911. It produces 116 ft-lb of torque and can run at higher sustained top speeds using an enhanced motor and higher amperage motor controller.

Range (mi): 179 city / 90 highway

New for 2018

Zero Motorcycles designs and builds the most technologically advanced electric motorcycles on the planet at its California headquarters. Zero continues to lead the industry in electric motorcycle innovation with its 2018 model line by delivering up to 6x faster charging and 10% more range with the ZF7.2 and ZF14.4 power packs.

The winner of this week's THIS OR THAT will go on and fight the challenger next week. The overall winners will be determined how many weeks they can beat the competition.

Enjoy!
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: #372: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 vs 2018 Zero SR

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

...and yes, I know I flipped the Zero SR image, I didn't have one that faced left. :)

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I can’t get behind an electric bike. Sorry. Lol. Maybe when the nearest public charging point is closer then an hour and a half away.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#4 Unread post by montanalifter »

Watched a couple of videos of each bike and the lack of sound (actually a whine sound) from the zero I did not like. Also the usual complaint of not being able to go just so far. Not that I would take the electric bike touring anyway. Ducati for me.

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#5 Unread post by markdcoco »

Nothing like the smell of electrons burning in the morning.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jLaAEQby4

No wait... I meant carbon burning. I believe electric bikes are out there in the future, but battery technology just ain't there yet. Only one really good looking electric I have ever seen so far... and God help me for saying this... it's the HD. I truly hope they bring it to market.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

markdcoco wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 am Nothing like the smell of electrons burning in the morning.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jLaAEQby4

No wait... I meant carbon burning. I believe electric bikes are out there in the future, but battery technology just ain't there yet. Only one really good looking electric I have ever seen so far... and God help me for saying this... it's the HD. I truly hope they bring it to market.
Ya, the Livewire... I thought it was "Dead" for a long time as there was no news at all about it (till 2 weeks ago), now it is possibly on the list to be produced.

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/harley- ... velopment/

Amazing. They kept that quiet!

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Let me start off by saying: I must be getting old as change is getting more challenging.

Electric bikes... yup, not a fan, but I get it. Technological advancement, driverless cars, automatic transmissions, Alexa. Seems we love to make our lives simpler by adding complexity!

I love how year after year motorcycles advance, they are exciting products and each rider can ride what makes their heart beat faster. All types of bikes, more selection than ever before, so even though I don't get "electric bikes" the next guy/gal does and wants one. I love the smell, feel and sound of an old internal combustion engine, it makes my heart beat faster. I love acceleration too. Both combined with class, character and style, now that's a combo I find hard to refuse. Electric bikes, for me, just don't have that combination... but then again, I don't get excited about visiting an Apple Store and lining up for the iPhone 8 or Samsung 9.

Ducati GT1000 it is... until they take the handle bars away too!

Mike

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

Re: #372: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 (WINNER) vs 2018 Zero SR

#8 Unread post by markdcoco »

Mike... I did go to your link about a HD Electric... but that wasn't the bike I was talking about. More like this one:
HDElectric.jpg
HDElectric.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 12801 times
That one in the article is Fugly........