I need help!

scrumpy
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

I need help!

#1 Unread post by scrumpy »

:( I have an 01 HD Dyna LowRider, bought it last summer. I'm 5'1, 110lbs. I am having trouble parking it (backing it up). I was going to sell it and buy the new sportster low but my friends keep telling me that i will get use to the weight. I love my bike and can ride it no problem, its just heavy to park it. Is there any tips to backing it up? I cant take it out alone for the fear that I will be stuck. I get so nervous (been riding 4yrs) when its time to park it and everyone says to plan your spot, but its kind of hard to plan when there may be 100 bikes around. HELP!

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

5'1", 110lbs?!

Ummm...yeah...I do believe it's time you bought a smaller bike. If you can't back a bike up, it's too big for you. You might even want to try backing up a Sportster Low before dropping scratch on one.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

My bike can be somewhat difficult to back up if there's any sort of hill. If my chosen parking space is on a hill, I make sure that I park the bike so that when I have to leave I only need to use minimal effort. If the hill goes down, I pull the bike around wide, then carefully walk it backwards into the space. If the hill goes up, then I park forwards, using gravity to help me back out when ready to leave. Today I was parked on a relatively flat surface, so I just took my time, using strong small steps. If your bike is too difficult to foot around even on a flat surface, then there's a different problem. It might just take a little time to get used to things, but only you will know if it will ever work out the way you'd like. Good luck!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

bikerchick
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by bikerchick »

I think you should be comfortable with your bike. If you are having probelms parking it, then that isnt comfortable. Since you are coming on a year of having it, and still arent happy with it, you should try something new... Just my two sense, it is, of course, your decision!

moto_hanki
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by moto_hanki »

Here in Oregon our motorcycle safety group that teaches the classes offers an intermediate and skills practice classe. We can ride our own bike in the class. I am taking the next class in May to help me get more comfortable with my Seca.
Are there any such classes in your area? Maybe this could be helpful to you as well.

Can you flat foor your bike? If not maybe you could have it lowered, that would help a lot.
Henri

1992 Seca II XJ600

Locopez
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 09 HD Electra Glide Classic

Re: I need help!

#6 Unread post by Locopez »

scrumpy wrote::( I have an 01 HD Dyna LowRider, bought it last summer. I'm 5'1, 110lbs. I am having trouble parking it (backing it up). I was going to sell it and buy the new sportster low but my friends keep telling me that i will get use to the weight. I love my bike and can ride it no problem, its just heavy to park it. Is there any tips to backing it up? I cant take it out alone for the fear that I will be stuck. I get so nervous (been riding 4yrs) when its time to park it and everyone says to plan your spot, but its kind of hard to plan when there may be 100 bikes around. HELP!
Why are you considering get a sportster? Because it weighs a little less? Or because it would be a little lower to the ground?

You might check the HD specs on seat height? Even though it is a sportster "low". It might not be any lower than your DYNA.

Also..it might cost a little more...but you can lower your curtain DYNA...with new fork springs and lower shocks in the rear that stock...

lots of options. Bottom line..need to be comfortable and confident to enjoy the ride.....but always be safe....rubber side up!
07 Suzuki DR650SE & 03 HD FLHT Elctra Glide

Rubber side down....shinny side up!