Skin care

Sarek
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Skin care

#1 Unread post by Sarek »

I hope this isn't too corny to post. I don't know if it's an age related change or if I'm just more sensitive. I've been having a terrible time with wind burn and sunburn. I was in a poker run this weekend and I look like a tomato. :oops: I wore sunscreen and reapplied it several times. It didn't help. What do you all do to protect your faces? And to take care after rides?

Mer
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Mer »

I wear makeup with SPF in it and a full face helmet. I've had no problems with this set up. If your wearing sun screen with anything less than a full face then maybe it's being sweated off. Good luck!
Marianne

2005 Honda VTX 1300

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Ladymx »

I wear a full face helemt and have recently changed to a tinted visor, which has made a world of difference and I really dont know why I didnt do it sooner. Other wise what your doing with the sun screen is all I did before, but did find I was looking a bit like a tomatoe too. I know texas can get hot and a full face may not be the best option for you, but some kind of fuller tinted visor on a shorty or half lid, would help you out also.

barmy_carmy
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by barmy_carmy »

I've got a nolan exlite full face, which can open up, in these helmets there is air vents near your forehead and face, so even though its a full face there is air flowing through it so I dont get hot and sweat, perfick! :laughing: Also got tinted visor, does make all the difference. But wearing an open face helmet in hot sunshine you'll burn, not to mention catching them bugs in your face, they can really hurt, but too much riding in sun like that will turn your skin leathery.
I'm not riding fast...........Just flying low!

Mer
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by Mer »

My Nolan 100E flip helmet is well ventilated even when I wear it in the hot summers here in Texas. I've been wearing it for 3 years now and haven't found it too hot even for riding in the really hot temps. I also went with a tinted visor and that also helps keep things cooler.

I'd imagine the wind and sun beating on your face would not be too good for your skin after awhile.
Marianne

2005 Honda VTX 1300

Sarek
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Sarek »

I've been planning to buy a full helmet. I'll be sure to get a tinted one. I was afraid I'd buy one and it would be too hot. I guess if I can make myself wear it sometimes it will be better than never. My half lid is very comfy and I'd wear it all the time if my husband weren't ragging me about it being a waste of time.
Is a Nolan exlite the same as a Nolan 100E? I hope I can find one. There's no place within 50 miles to buy a decent helmet.

Mer
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Mer »

I dont think the xlite is the same as the Nolan 100E. There are new models and i'm not sure what they are. Check out this website for a few of them, plus some other brands. I'd certainly make sure you can try one on though before you buy. The Nolan fits my round head, but not my husband's oval shaped head. http://www.helmetshop.com/flipup.asp?Ca ... 642YCOCM79

Good luck!
Marianne

2005 Honda VTX 1300

kawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by kawgurl »

If you are going without a full face helmet and using sunscreen, make sure you're using a 15SPF or higher - and make SURE you are applying it to your skin at least a half an hour before your exposure to the sun. I ride with a shorty helmet and I have red hair and pale, freckled skin and I never have a problem. Don't miss any spots - your skin should remain cool to touch if it's working. Reapply every couple of hours. If you are doing this and still having problems - check the age of your sunscreen - it may be too old and a new bottle might be the trick.

Oh ya - don't forget your LIPS (ACK!) - chapstick is the tried and true standard, but I have found Neutrogena makes a tube of lip gloss that has SPF - it shines nice and it WORKS.

Happy sunburn free riding! :)
[b]~Robyn~[/b]
'09 Kawi Nomad 1700

[i]"Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes."[/i] ~Author Unknown

mazer
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by mazer »

A full faced helmet is what does the trick, mainly you are getting wind and sunburn, two assults to your skin. The sunburn is easiest taken care of with lotion, reapplied. However windburn is different - the wind is basically zapping the moisture out of your skin, which is easiest when exposed. You can wear a bandana or a balaclava (spelling?) and or get the full faced helmet. If you prefer a different type of helmet you should use a scarf or bandana to reduce the area the wind has access to, you might also try a really good lotion.
There are alot of really crappy lotions out there, which actually dry out the skin, like Visine dries out your eyes making you want to use more, which is why you buy more etc.
If you have a Whole Foods and some time on your hands here is what I have landed on after years of working to locate something good on the shelf. (I use to sell some high level, expensive skin care) - but since I could not afford the stuff I was selling I went on a hunt for a good replacement.
If you can not find this stuff at your local pharmacy or you dont have a Whole Foods I think you can order on line.
Go get yourself a bottle of NATURE's GATE original lotion....unscented. and a bottle of ALBA original - unscented lotion. You will need to mix the two together so go get yourself a nice small bottle to carry in your purse and maybe another to put in your car. You will also need a medium bottle (not too big) so you can start mixing, or you wont have enough room in the two bottles.....I usually find the ALBA comes in a bigger bottle and even tho there is a bit more it really works out perfectly. I have used this mix for years. I give it out around Christmas, or when I get invited over to a friends house espcially when I have learned they are into gardening...My friends swear by it, and now just want to buy it off of me. If you want to try a little bit before going to the trouble to make the stuff, it takes a couple of hours and can create a mess, but it is worth it. You can e mail me and I can send you a small bottle to try out.
I use it after being outside doing anything. I love it.

month1202
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by month1202 »

I always wear full face helmet and mask to protect my face until now I dont have any problem with my face. For you reference.