Ladies - What's the longest trip you've taken on your bike?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Ladies - What's the longest trip you've taken on your bike?

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Okay, I love riding. It has become my passion. Riding a BMW seems to feed into that, because part of the marque's image seems to be all about putting on miles.

Last fall my husband and I rode from Baltimore to Selbyville, Tennessee. 1,650 miles. It was fun at times (riding the Cherahola Skyway) and miserable at times (when I poured 1/4 cup of rainwater out of my boot, rainpants were too short).

We frequently do day rides of 150 miles.

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I just logged about 75 miles a few weeks ago, I know it palely compares 1650 miles :oops: but I'm still a rookie and learning new things on each ride. I'm looking forward to logging 1000+ mile trips one day. We took a trip this past Memorial Day weekend and that was about 1200 miles, but I wasent on my own bike. So far I absolutely love my experience on the bike!!

Lion_Lady

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Sweet Tooth wrote:I just logged about 75 miles a few weeks ago, I know it palely compares 1650 miles :oops: but I'm still a rookie and learning new things on each ride. I'm looking forward to logging 1000+ mile trips one day. We took a trip this past Memorial Day weekend and that was about 1200 miles, but I wasent on my own bike. So far I absolutely love my experience on the bike!!
75 miles is nothing to sneeze at. You gotta start somewhere.

If you intend to do longer rides, the key is to work up to it.

Hubby and I did a 150 mile day ride (with the kids on pillion) for Fathers Day, on Saturday... I'm still feeling it, because its been a while since I've been on board that long.

P

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Lion_Lady wrote: If you intend to do longer rides, the key is to work up to it.
P
I agree, I really underestimated how tiring riding can be.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I know im not a hard core biker with 20+ years of experince and a hundread thousand miles under my belt, but i'm here and im willing to learn, and if that bothers someone then so be it, but don't rude about it :roll:.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

On some weekends, Dave and I will split between the two days and get some riding in. If it's my day, I'll drop down to southern Ohio where there are more hills and curves - that gives me about 300 miles for the day. The longest trip I've taken away from home has been to visit my friends in Michigan. It's about 200 miles each way. Typically I'll ride up, air out my feet, then go for local rides with my friend's group of riders. So that will keep me riding for most of the day.

Unfortunately my bike was down a lot last year with mechanical troubles, so I missed out on a planned trip which was supposed to be a bit larger than normal. These same mechanical issues were beginning to plague the new riding season, so I have since bought a new bike. I'm actually in the break-in period right now. I cannot wait to get out for some longer rides this year. Well, as much as finances and schedules will allow.

In the Summer of '08 (when I'm 40!), I plan to do some sort of ride that will take me very far away from home. Hopefully for two weeks. So... set your calendars. Maybe we could organize some sort of Ladies' TMW meetup.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Loonette

#7 Unread post by Loonette »

I think you are right about why some gals perhaps wouldn't feel comfortable posting a lot about their riding. I have felt the same as well. But a lot of the guys here are newbies too. It's not just the female population. If women want to be heard they have to speak. And if they feel they're being treated unfairly, they need to let somebody in power know about it. Mike and the moderators are good about listening to the concerns of all the members here.

Ultimately, this forum is for the gals. The guys should try to comment only with relevant statements. Personal comments should be made through PM.

So that's it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a couple of rogue chin whiskers to pluck. How's that for girl talk!! :wink:

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Evidently I was so quick to delete ZooTech's first [negative] response in this thread, which was directed at Sweet Tooth, actually. No one "got" to read it, which was what I had hoped.

Sometimes I'm on top of my game.

To be honest, I don't expect the ladies forum to be as 'busy' as the general forums, because we are in the minority. I do hope that we can make it a 'safe' and welcoming place to post questions and comments that are important to us/women as riders.

Pam

Loonette

#9 Unread post by Loonette »

His one that I did see, which has been deleted, went something like (paraphrasing) don't even bother on that bike of yours because it's not really in the image of the brand's marque. Something like that. Meaning (to me anyway) that you were trying to say that the image of putting on lots of miles is something that is specific to BMWs. Like an elitist sort of thing. So then he sarcastically was saying that by your statement about BMWs, apparently riders of other-than-BMW bikes don't have an image of putting on lots of miles. Maybe I'm being dense, but that's what I got out of his remark. I didn't see any other post that directly insulted Sweet Tooth - I must have missed it. I do try to keep up. :wink:

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

So, maybe my first post was perceived as elitist? Hmmm, I guess it could come across that way. My apologies.

P