LADIES: Do you live for twisties or struggle with them?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

LADIES: Do you live for twisties or struggle with them?

#1 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I was new to motorcycling a year and a half ago and for the longest time I feared and struggled with twisty roads.
When I was by myself, I could go so slow and pull over to let other vehicles go by.
But when I'm riding in a group, I feel like I should try to keep up a little bit.
On most twisty roads I can now keep up with the group and it's a great feeling. There are only a couple of really challenging downhill curves and a few decreasing radius turns that I still get anxious about. I'm working on that though.

I'm interested to know how you handle twisties.
Did you struggle in the beginning?
Do you still struggle?
When did you suddenly find your groove, so to speak?

blues2cruise

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I finally figured out "setting up" a curve. It has made a tremendous difference in my handling of a curve. When you find the right "line" and follow through with the lean on the handle bars it's like dancing. It just feels so good.

Muse
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by Muse »

Wow. I definitely still struggle, but I think it's a mind-over-matter thing, because I've successfully completed some pretty twisty roads. I love how it feels, though, and I'm working on the comfort part. What I find is that if there are too many twisties all in a row, I get really tired really fast. I also have to force myself not to tense up.

Having said that, I live in Calgary, and I'm a fair-weather rider :D so I only ride from April until about October, and I only learned to ride last year. What I'm trying to say is that I believe I'll get better at twisties with time and experience.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

I still struggle with the twisties. ZooTech has a bike just like mine, and he just romps around on it like it's nothing. Granted, more practice certainly does help, and the last time he and I rode together we went on a seriously crazy road. It was a great reminder of how much practice I still need. It does help build more confidence by making more attempts.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

ladyreb
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by ladyreb »

My first post in the Ladies thread .... Hi all .. This thread is one of the things that caught my eye. Look forward to chatting with y'all. :)

As far as twisties...I had been riding for years when I took the MSF course. It was an eye opener and very educational. I hadn't heard of 'looking through the curve' before then. I just hopped on and rode and really didn't think about it. Now you can get on the internet and find out all sorts of info. The MSF class taught me a lot.

My most challenging 'twistie' experience was Deals Gap in Tennessee. Now there was a ride that earned the name the Dragon. I was following a buddy of mine on a concours who has a need for speed. He was zipping along. I rode my own ride and had a blast!

Ride at your own pace, give it some time and if you haven't already take the MSF course, just do it.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I live for twisties, like Blues said it's like a dance BUT then again the twisties here in Florida are FLAT. Having them run up and down a mountain would be a diffrent story.

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by KarateChick »

Any I've been on (if you can call them that) have been fun so far but I'm still learning and working on them and overall basic riding skills. Everything "riding" has been fun so far, even those little learning experiences as they happen, you know, they ones that make you go "hmmmm..."

I'm looking forward to more riding and always try to stay relaxed and not tense up and just go from there.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

blues2cruise

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I think the one defining thing that helped me to get more confident on twisty roads and even making left hand turns and being able to stay in my proper lane....was finally learning to lean/push on the handlebar in the direction I wanted to go.
I realize now that I was afraid of leaning. I still am to a certain degree, but I am so much better at it now.
Dr_bar says I will soon be ready for knee pucks. :laughing:

I practice the push thing everytime I see a manhole cover or a lump in the road. I practice making the bike swerve around these things. I think getting used to the feel of that maneuver, helped my cornering skills.

What I have found really helpful/useful is straightening the elbow of the arm I am using to push while keeping the other arm bent.

It is all gradually coming together. Everytime I go somewhere different and experience something new, my skills seem to increase.

I am going on a ride to Mount Baker tomorrow and I suspect that I really will be almost ready for knee pucks after that.

blues2cruise

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Close call on Saturday. I went with a few other riders up to Mount Baker and I handled the twisty road going upjust fine.

I think I didn't drink enough water and must have started getting dehydrated for the ride down. I lost focus and missed the sign for the tight curve coming up, didn't downshift and drifted over the line. Lucky me I managed to gain control gain and get back in my lane before a car came around the bend.

It is such a wake up call when something like that happens. I cannot afford to daydream. I must remember to drink more now that the weather is hot.

Sunday's ride was much better. I was still bothered by what happened on Saturday, so it helped my riding on Sunday.

Drink lots.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Sev »

KarateChick wrote:Any I've been on (if you can call them that) have been fun so far but I'm still learning and working on them and overall basic riding skills. Everything "riding" has been fun so far, even those little learning experiences as they happen, you know, they ones that make you go "hmmmm..."

I'm looking forward to more riding and always try to stay relaxed and not tense up and just go from there.
I'm butting in here, but I've watched KC ride for a good portion of the last 3000km and if she struggles through the twisties (what we have) I couldn't see it. She might not go as fast as some of the others, but holds a good clean line, and pushes herself just a little further every time we ride together.

I'm halfway dreading the day she goes flying past me at 150 down Groat Road.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]