LADIES - Reality Check(s)

cbm
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

LADIES - Reality Check(s)

#1 Unread post by cbm »

Yesterday after supper my husband loaded the wee ones in the stroller and took them for a long neighbourhood walk to allow me to wash my poor, bug-covered bike. I got everything ready for the wash and then got on the bike to walk it back out of the garage onto the driveway. Since I wasn't riding, I just had sandals on. Anyway, I started to roll the bike back before putting up the kickstand and it caught my foot on the side. No serious damage done at all, but I have to say that it hurt at the time!! :shock: Instantly I was reminded of how heavy a bike is and how unforgiving steel is when it meets human flesh! Anyway, I'm an ATGATT kind of girl, but it's been tempting lately to get sloppy and not wear the gloves, not wear the boots, not wear the pants because it has been crazy hot up here. My little encounter with the kickstand has reinforced the importance of "dressing for the crash, not the ride!"

My other little reality check came today when I ended up just behind a guy on a Katana 600 who bolted off the line at a green light and narrowly missed going through the passenger side of left-turning car. He and I were beside each other...he on his bike and me in my 4-cylinder Saturn powerhouse with two kids in the back, and he just took off when the light turned green without any kind of check to make sure that everyone was through the other light. It was quite a close call, and he was fortunate that it was me beside him rather than some buddy revving it up looking for a race, since he would have had nowhere to go except into the side of the car. Luckily he did evade the car, especially since he was in the requisite T-shirt and tennis shoes! (Although the asphalt was nice and hot today...I'm sure it would have provided a nice soft landing for him... :frusty: )

On a happy note, I LOVE my new bike and every time I take it out I feel more and more in tune with it...I trust it (and me!) on the corners now much more than when I first had it, and I can't keep the smile off my face!!

:)
2004 Bonneville T100

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I've gotten sloppy before and it cost me a burnt leg and sprained wrist because I leaned the bike over too much and then had to jerk it back so that it wouldn't fall. All this while just trying to back it out of the garage...
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by cherokeepati »

cbm, please don't get lax about protecting yourself! It was 96 degrees today or more and I just started riding about three weeks ago to work and back 1/2 hour each way. One of the first things I purchased was a jacket (open weave nylon with body armor) and amazingly it is alot cooler than you can imagine. Of course, the first thing you want to do is get it off when you get home, but the ventilation system can really cool you off on the ride. Now if I can only figure out how to protect my legs if I go down. :roll:

ladyreb
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by ladyreb »

Don't feel bad cbm, here's my sandal/flip-flop story:

I was at a biker rally one weekend and where I was camped was a long distance from the bathroom. I got up early one morning and nature urgently called. I decided to ride the bike to the bathroom across this big field. I hopped on with my flip flops on, not thinking anything about it. Everything is fine, get to the bathroom, put my foot down and down I go. :shock: It's a wonder I didn't wet myself ! My flip flops had slipped on the morning dew. Oh, it gets better... I go to pick the bike, which in normal conditions is not a problem using the back-your-butt-up-to-the-seat and walk it up method. However, the ground is wet, I've tore up a flip flop and I'm now barefooted. On the first attempt to raise it, down I go again... I can't get any traction on the wet ground. I checked the bike, it was fine. Then I'm looking around to make sure no one saw me flopping around like a fish out of water :) they didn't, it was too early. I'm standing there trying to figure a way out of this. I end up drying my feet, drying the ground and finally was able to get enough traction to lift it. Lesson learned: I don't care how bad I have to go, the boots go on first. :wink:

cbm
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by cbm »

cherokeepati wrote:cbm, please don't get lax about protecting yourself! It was 96 degrees today or more and I just started riding about three weeks ago to work and back 1/2 hour each way. One of the first things I purchased was a jacket (open weave nylon with body armor) and amazingly it is alot cooler than you can imagine. Of course, the first thing you want to do is get it off when you get home, but the ventilation system can really cool you off on the ride. Now if I can only figure out how to protect my legs if I go down. :roll:
No worries, I'm committed to putting all the gear on!! I do have an open weave jacket and HT Air pants and they're great once you get moving. It's the standing still part that's hot...I'm still working on getting faster at gearing up in the heat so I can be on my way and in the wind sooner!
2004 Bonneville T100

cbm
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by cbm »

ladyreb wrote:Don't feel bad cbm, here's my sandal/flip-flop story:

I was at a biker rally one weekend and where I was camped was a long distance from the bathroom. I got up early one morning and nature urgently called. I decided to ride the bike to the bathroom across this big field. I hopped on with my flip flops on, not thinking anything about it. Everything is fine, get to the bathroom, put my foot down and down I go. :shock: It's a wonder I didn't wet myself ! My flip flops had slipped on the morning dew. Oh, it gets better... I go to pick the bike, which in normal conditions is not a problem using the back-your-butt-up-to-the-seat and walk it up method. However, the ground is wet, I've tore up a flip flop and I'm now barefooted. On the first attempt to raise it, down I go again... I can't get any traction on the wet ground. I checked the bike, it was fine. Then I'm looking around to make sure no one saw me flopping around like a fish out of water :) they didn't, it was too early. I'm standing there trying to figure a way out of this. I end up drying my feet, drying the ground and finally was able to get enough traction to lift it. Lesson learned: I don't care how bad I have to go, the boots go on first. :wink:
:laughing: Oh boy, I have a great mental picture of that whole scenario!! And I can definitely see me doing something very similar! Anyway, kudos on getting your bike back up in less than ideal conditions, and thanks for the laugh!
2004 Bonneville T100

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by cherokeepati »

I really need to learn how to pick my bike up since I ride solo. Where can I get info on how to do that? Yes, I dropped my bike once and scratched the tailpipe. Had it not been for a co-worker, I would probably still be trying to get it up and it's really not all that heavy! :roll:

cbm
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by cbm »

cherokeepati wrote:I really need to learn how to pick my bike up since I ride solo. Where can I get info on how to do that? Yes, I dropped my bike once and scratched the tailpipe. Had it not been for a co-worker, I would probably still be trying to get it up and it's really not all that heavy! :roll:
It's too bad the MSF course doesn't have a section where they teach students how to pick up a dropped bike. (At least mine didn't.) I'm sure they could designate a sacrificial bike to practice on...most of them are not exactly in pristine condition!! :)

Anyway, here's a link which shows you step by step how to pick up a fallen bike. Nice to know this can be done wearing a skirt... :wink:
2004 Bonneville T100

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by cherokeepati »

Bless you, cbm!! :wave: Thanks for the information. The Advanced MSF course here in North Carolina can be taken after passing the Beginner MSF course and completeing a 6000mi or 600hour required period before signing up. You ride your own bike and they have more advanced moves and HINTED at teaching how to pick up your bike. I hope to take it one day but have a long way to go with 750 miles in three weeks of riding. I'm still plugging along tho. Thanks again! :D

ElektraSpitfire
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by ElektraSpitfire »

my backyard is reallly really small and getting in and out of it with tight u turns (with half of the backyard being grass) is very very annoying. once i dropped it and for the life of me could not pick it up! i even tried using that butt to seat method and i couldn't get a good grip from the side. i had to wait til my roommate came home to help me :(

oh and as for leg protection as someone mentioned, i just wear shin guards under normal pants. i think they are more effective than thin leather or mesh pants, because it is actually a piece of armor, not just padding. so if your leg ever gets caught under the bike or anything, at least there is extra support. i might get road rash on my butt though.. unless you get something extra for your hips.