take the class first or just practice riding?

katierider
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by katierider »

Thanks so much....I am signed up for taking the course at the end of May right after I return from Myrtle Beach Bike Rally...I was hoping to take the course beforehand so I wouldnt have to ride on the back but oh well...it'll be fun anyways and theres always next year I'll be taken my own bike up!!

chickenhawk
Veteran
Veteran

#12 Unread post by chickenhawk »

Yeah, do the course first. My friend crashed into a fence during the MSF course and broke her arm, but at least it wasn't in regular traffic. She just made a stupid, newbie mistake and lost control.

luvmygixxer05
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by luvmygixxer05 »

I would definatley take the class. I took it a month ago with no experience, I didnt even know how to start a bike up. But they teach you so many things that will benefit you and possibly save your life. I was the only one in the class who never rode, and i was the only one who aced both tests. That should tell u they teach you alot. Definatley take the class. :D

lfleming
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

take the class first or just practice riding?

#14 Unread post by lfleming »

I purchased my first bike before I took the course (used '92 Honda Knighthawk CB250; I was driving around town one day and a lady had it parked in her front yard wanting to sell it; I had a friend of mine, who rides look it over before I bought it.) but didn't start riding it till after I took the course. I had never rode a motorcycle, or even owned a motorcycle before then. I feel that waiting to ride after I took the course was the best thing for me.

Once I passed the course (3 years ago) I've been riding everywhere since then (including on interstates and freeways) on the same used bike.

The course gave me a lot of confidence.

N250girl
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by N250girl »

Mer wrote:Personally, I waited until after the MSF to do anything on my bike. I think you "could" pick up some bad habits if you rode before the class. How long do you have to wait?
I'm with you Mer. I took the MSF course first and then practiced in parking lots, then rode around the neighborhood. Now I go on trips 160 miles, one way. You should take the course first.
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250
visit us at www.tampamotoladiez.com

katierider
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by katierider »

Hi,

I never followed up on this.....anyways I took the course it really gave me alot of confidence, then I practiced in parking lots and now I'm out on the road! I am still learning, everyonce in awile I do something stupid like stall out when starting off but with practice I'm sure I'l be fine! I love to ride though its so much fun I'm glad I took the course and got out there! :D -Katie