take the class first or just practice riding?

katierider
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

take the class first or just practice riding?

#1 Unread post by katierider »

Hi,

What do you ladies think is best... to just take the safety class first before even practicing riding or pratice before like in an open parking lot? Thanks for the advice!

-Katierider :D

Mer
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Mer »

Personally, I waited until after the MSF to do anything on my bike. I think you "could" pick up some bad habits if you rode before the class. How long do you have to wait?
Marianne

2005 Honda VTX 1300

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Ladymx »

Take the course first so you dont start with bad habits, like you could ifyou just start riding in a parking lot. Also the course teach from scratch as if you have never ridden a bike before.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Take the classes

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I agree with the other two....take the classes first. If you are an absolute beginner, it's the smart thing to do.

If the program you are taking provides the motorcycle, you won't have to worry about "scratching" yours up for the learning process. There were a few fellows who dropped their bikes in the classes. The outcome was just a few bruised egos and a bit scraped paint.

katierider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by katierider »

Thanks,

I dont have to wait long for the course I can take it in a couple weeks, I already have a bike so I was just wondering what was best to do just wait or practice first and then take the course, but most of you think waiting for the course is the best thing to do so I'll probably stick to that! Thanks so much!!

bngarza
Rookie
Rookie

Class vs pratice

#6 Unread post by bngarza »

I started riding before my class!! It was the best thing I did. I'm not talking marathon riding but getting used to the bike. Put your bike up on the center stand and start up your bike and "practice" letting the clutch in and out. Get the feel of when it "catches". Then move to the back yard, start it up and "walk" the bike by releasing the clutch and pulling it back in. This is the first thing theytaught us to do when we got on the bikes. I had no idea of that when my friend to me to do it. Then try riding in the back yard. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. My instructors really noticed that I had "practiced". :mrgreen:
Lady Riders ROCK!!
Picture of my tank.

PurpleRose
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by PurpleRose »

The class rocks........I have never riden a bike before the class and by time I finished the class, I could ride..........I knew I was going to love riding, but never as much as I feel I do now. I didn't buy a bike before and now I'm looking for one. How slow it is finding the right one. I'm ready.......definitely the class is better to take first.

PurpleRose :D :D :D :D :D

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi Katie,

It is not necessary to have any experience before going in to the course. It is also recommended by the teachers that if you are brand new to the sport it is better not to try to learn on your own so that you don't learn things the "incorrect" way. It is so much easier to learn something when you don't already have methods worked out in your head!

That being said, it would not be a bad thing to just sit on your bike and learn the feel of it. Without even starting it you can just sit on it and roll it back and forth in your garage and then figure out how to use the braking to stop you from moving. I would not recommend doing much more than that.

Good luck, and congratulations on being smart for signing up for the course!

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by amstaffmom »

Hi, I'm very very new to the sport. My husband and I took the MSF course about a month ago and loved it! Both of us had never rode before. Me, I had never even drove a stick shift car. Within the hour we were riding! And to make matters worst we had to learn in the pouring down rain! But we had a blast! I highly recommend the taking the course its wonderful!

Jean

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Class vs pratice

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

bngarza wrote:I started riding before my class!! It was the best thing I did. I'm not talking marathon riding but getting used to the bike. Put your bike up on the center stand and start up your bike and "practice" letting the clutch in and out. Get the feel of when it "catches". Then move to the back yard, start it up and "walk" the bike by releasing the clutch and pulling it back in. This is the first thing theytaught us to do when we got on the bikes. I had no idea of that when my friend to me to do it. Then try riding in the back yard. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. My instructors really noticed that I had "practiced". :mrgreen:
Riding on grass is so different from riding on pavement that it will do more harm than good. Friction Zone practice is probably a good thing...

Don't get too used to your new bike, before the class, because the bikes used in the class are generally 'well abused' and won't feel at all like what you've got in your garage.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul