LADIES - Whoo Hoo!

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

LADIES - Whoo Hoo!

#1 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Hubby says I am almost ready for a real ride =) - that is, out of the school parking lot :laughing: . I practiced swerves yesterday - and turning from a dead stop with my front wheel already turned in the direction I wanted to go - I don't believe that is done very often in real world driving but I think it is a good one to know. I stalled it once during the turning exercises - almost dropped it becasue the wheel was turned when it stalled - I had to hold it until hubby could help me straighten it. I made dang sure I didn't stall it again. I also practiced using the clutch, throttle and rear-brake at the same time. I have come to realize that learning to do that is extremely important in controlling the bike when going slow. Makes going slow so much easier! I also managed to scrap a peg going around the school parking lot :D - didn't scare me a bit but I was surprised when I heard it. My husband and I are perfectionists - so neither one of us wants me to hit the road until I am comfortable with the basic MSF exercises plus a few advanced exercises I wanted to learn. I took and passed the MSF course and this weekend I am taking the Rider's Edge Course offered by Harley - I don't have to take it but I want to do it again - see what I mean by perfectionist? :laughing:

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

Congrats on passing! :) Don't psych yourself out for the regular road though - the courses are great for getting you on your feet but the best teacher for the road is the road.

It sounds like you're more than ready if you're confident enough!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

Good job getting the skills in your back pocket. It'll help ease into the transition of riding on the road.

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

Went for a ride today!

#4 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Was out for an hour with hubby - was scared as hell before we took off but I sucked it in, let out a deep breath and just went! Lots of new things to experience - our driveway is gravel that goes up a hill and around a curve (nice...LOL!). Then out immediately into a curve on a road that is not gravel but has loose gravel anyway because it is tar and rocks (they lay the tar then dump rock on top, then flatten it). Then we went into a VERY small town near where I live (with a nice big grain truck on my backside...). Then I got to play around in town with stops and turns for a while. Then hubby took me on the scenic roads around where we live - lots of nice big curves to enjoy =). I swear when we first took off and I was going 40 mph it felt like 100....but I got comfortable pretty fast. I got to swerve around dead things in the road - go through loose gravel while turning to get up the road to our house while I had a semi bearing down on me waiting for me to turn into all that gravel.....Yea you could say I got a lot of training in :laughing: I never let any of the large trucks bother me - I turned my turn signal on and went the speed that it took to get through the gravel. I thought I would be more scared when getting a large truck/semi behind me, but it didn't bother me at all - I did however keep a close eye out on them in my rear-view mirror...

Today's ride really felt good (and tiring...). It really boosted my confidence and quelled most of the fear :D. I am looking forward to more rides!! :mrgreen:

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#5 Unread post by KarateChick »

That's certainly the right attitude! Have fun.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

Reading your post is such a vivid reminder of those first rides I took. Your perspective will change rapidly with more practice. Sounds like you're paying good attention to the things on which you need to concentrate. It won't be long before many aspects of riding become second nature. Enjoy and be safe out there!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

Please tell us how the Riders Edge course was.
I'm taking that class the weekend of Sept. 29 and would like to know what to expect. I've not had any sort of instruction and just bought my first bike. I'm looking forward to learning on someone elses's bike. Then I hope I can transfer my newly acquired skills to my bike.
Keep having fun!
'85 Yamaha FJ600

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

Rider's Edge course....

#8 Unread post by MicheleZ »

I did this last Sat. and Sun. - it was an all ladies class (the very first one). I had a female and male instructor - oh my god - it was the BEST THING SINCE HEAVEN!!!!!! I graduated top of the class - from just a month ago when I took that MSF Abate course and graduated last of my class. I hated the Abate course and the instructors weren't too hot either - this time was totally different!!! I was so relaxed and the instructors were just THE VERY BEST I could have hoped for! So supportive and instructive - they made us laugh all the time. Saturday it rained ALL DAY and I still had the time of my life. Monday I went for a TWO hour ride to celebrate my success =). Instructors can really make or break a new rider - and the MSF instructors about broke me but the Rider's Edge instructors gave me so much confidence in myself - all the ladies of the class did excellent. Only one dropped out because she was just too nervous after dumping her bike. She is coming back another time to finish. I cannot recommend this class enough. I am extremely happy I took this class - it made an huge difference in my confidence level and confidence is really what a new rider needs more than anything. I hugged both of them before I left on Sunday because they did so much to help me become a good rider :D

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

That's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one! I'm glad to hear you liked it so much. I am not taking the Ladies Only class, but only because I can't wait any longer. I can barely stand it that I have to wait 3 weeks as it is, ha!
What bike did they give you to use in the class and what did you think of it? I think we're using the Blast.
'85 Yamaha FJ600

Seca Girl
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Seca Girl »

Some interesting links about how H-D started the RE program, and the "for profit" part of rider education:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/proficient_motor.asp

The "Secret Plan" article is a very :shock:ing read.