LADIES - "New" bike -- have some gear questions

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

LADIES - "New" bike -- have some gear questions

#1 Unread post by jct »

Hi all,

Well, my husband just came home with an H-D XL1200 Sportster (grinning from ear to ear-- cute as hell), so his 2003 Virago 250 is officially mine!

Looks like it is time to give riding a try finally. :D My late father is grinning somewhere-- he always wanted a bike but my mother never relented.

In any case, I'm signed up for the MSF course in a couple of weeks, I went out trying helmets today (kind of a "trying" experience :? ) -- I have no intention of going cheap, so Shoei and Arai are on the table, but the price difference is major, and the reason is unclear to me.

I will read all of the available threads on riding gear as well. I insisted that my husband always ride in full gear, so the same will go for me.

In any case, I also went boot shopping and found it discouraging. I liked the Red Wing 1668, but to my surprise, they are now made off-shore and the quality has obviously changed -ARGH. Also looked at some Harley models and they were OK, but I'm not a huge fan of branding and the fit was only OK. After reading some threads here I checked out the Cruiserworks site and I am intrigued. I love the idea of armored ankles and the fact that they can be worn to work. Can anyone here fill me in on the size/style they have? My feet are on the wide side so any input on fit would be great.

Any input on the above would be great, thanks in advance,

Jil

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I love my Cruiserworks. They do come in wide widths, so if you wear a wide, then go with that. Size seems to be pretty true.

As for helmets, go with what FITS (price is secondary). Print out the "Helmet Fit Guidelines" in the newbies topic and take that with you.

The main deal with the more expensive helmets, is 'features' to a large extent... lighter materials and more venting, etc. etc. Supposedly the main reason that Arai is more expensive is that it is hand assembled. You won't find Arai online anywhere, except used, so there is little chance for getting $200 off the list price.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#3 Unread post by jct »

Ah, thanks Lion_Lady, I was hoping you would weigh in with your opinion, I have found many of your previous threads to be very helpful.

And that makes sense regarding the features that underlie the wide price ranges on the helmets -- after trying on Arai-Shoei and HJC, I was pretty flummoxed regarding what the "real" differences were, except, of course, the very different fits. Heading back to the shop tomorrow with my glasses to make my final choice. And nope, price never entered into the equation-- can't afford any extra neuronal loss due to ill-fitting gear at my age.

And I'm definitely going with the Cruiserworks -- have yet to hear a single bad opinion. I was leaning towards wide, nothing worse in shoes than a squashed toebox.

Thanks again,

Jil

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

My full-face Scorpion helmet (EXO-700, Raider) cost about $170. It's very comfortable and has held us superbly for the past two seasons.

I'm still looking for the perfect pair of boots. I'm picky though - it will take me awhile. I'll give the Cruiserworks a look-see.

Good luck! Glad to hear you're getting ready to ride. You'll have loads of fun.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

My CruiserWorks boots are now my 'backup' boots.

My "main" boots are Oxtar Jupiters. They are waterproof, just over the ankle and feel like a pair of sneakers (I can wear them all day at work standing on ceramic tile, wouldn't dare try that in the CWs). They lace up and have a velcro tab at the top to secure the bow for safe keeping.

Having gotten used to the Oxtars, I realize that the CruiserWorks' sole is slippery-er, being of a harder material.

>>I've thrown a wrench in things now, haven't I? :lol: <<

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

cherokeepati
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#6 Unread post by cherokeepati »

Please excuse the intrude ladies! Loonette I love my Scorpion full face helmet (Geronimo) after I got it broke in. The lining will conform to your face and I love not hearing all the traffic on the highway! BTW, I wear Justin lace up work boots to ride my horses and the motorcycle. They are super comfortable and I wear them sun up to sundown. Congrats, jct!! :wave:

Seca Girl
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Seca Girl »

I have Scorpion 700 helmet (solid color), I really like it, and the no-fog visor really works.

My jacket and boots are mens (Fristgear & Frank Thomas). Mainly because I don't like buying mail-order, and I was able to get a good fit with the mens sizes.

So, if you're worried about mail order fitting, don't be afraid to try men's sizes, if the local shops don't have a decent selection of women's sizes.
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#8 Unread post by Loonette »

The boots that I like in the men's sizes are still too big (smallest available being a men's 7 - I wear a men's 5 1/2). Although I did notice that a model of Joe Rockets (the Orbits) are now available in women's sizes - I might give those a try.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I have a pair of HD lace up boots and they are pretty comfy but they feel so bulky when im walking around. I really like those Oxtar's, might have a pair of new boots in my future.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!