LADIES - Vertically Challenged

cruzinmom1
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

LADIES - Vertically Challenged

#1 Unread post by cruzinmom1 »

HI! I'm not new to motorcycling, but new to this site. Twenty years ago (I'm giving away my age) I had a Yamaha Virago. Sold it and settled into my life - marriage, kids, etc. About two years ago I purchased a used Suzuki Intruder 1400 and just recently sold it because I wanted something newer. Found a Honda Shadow 1100 that is AWESOME - but I'm selling it because well - I'm vertically challenged and can't reach the foot controls. Thought I could modify, but it's just going to take more time and money than I want to spend. :roll:

A friend suggested I look at the Yamaha v-star 1100 because they are really low to the ground. SO, my question is - are there any ladies out there who have this bike and are "vertically challenged" - do you feel comfortable on this bike without having to have made alot of mods?
:D
Ride Safe and Often
cruzinmom1

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

A woman I know who is vertically challenged rides an 1100 V-Star. She can reach the ground fine, but the reach for the handlebars was hard for her. She had risers installed and now she is ok on her bike.

You need to go and sit on one in a shop and see if you can go for a test ride.

cruzinmom1
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by cruzinmom1 »

I went to a local shop and they were REALLY picky about sitting on the bikes if you weren't buying new. :cry: There's another shop up here and I guess I should act like I'm shopping for a new bike so I can see what the reach is.

Thanks!

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#4 Unread post by scan »

cruzinmom1 wrote:I went to a local shop and they were REALLY picky about sitting on the bikes if you weren't buying new. :cry: There's another shop up here and I guess I should act like I'm shopping for a new bike so I can see what the reach is.

Thanks!
Sorry for jumping in here ladies, but I think any shop that is "funny" about letting people sit on bikes that they "may" buy is terrible. The process of buying a bike takes many steps for some people. Sitting on them is one of the first for most people. They must not want you to eventually buy a bike at their establishment. I've heard this story here before and say the same thing each time. Find a shop that is not so picky about potential sales. If you are limited because a brand you want is not at another dealer, I'd let them know you are thinking of buying a bike. In reality you could be a future customer. They can't think that people don't shop around and it's not like your starting the bike and riding it - which is another thing that I think is junky about this whole thing. We can never test ride a bike (or usually) before we hand over the money. I understand the insurance thing (needing to protect the cost to insure for the dealer) but it still is a bad way to treat a new customer.

Sorry - I digressed.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

cruzinmom1
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by cruzinmom1 »

Hey, no problem about jumping into the ladies lounge. I agree that it stinks that we can't test ride a bike before we buy it. We get to test drive cars before we buy them!

I think the other part of it is that I'm going in by myself to look at bikes.

Hubby doesn't ride and has not intention to (thinks it's too dangerous) and doesn't know that much about bikes. I am the more adventurous one in the family.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

Sounds like that shop is ignorant - you don't want to join up with them in 'matrimony' from buying a bike from there. They won't even let you sit on the bike? Ridiculous.

I'm sorry I have no specific input on the bike you're looking at. I just wanted to jump in on the shop thing. Don't worry, I know what you mean that they don't take you seriously at the shop if you go in alone, a think lots of ladies do. Its sad really, that people can still think like they do.

Go to that other place, check things out. And have fun getting back to riding :D

Seca Girl
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by Seca Girl »

cruzinmom1, you didn't say how tall you are. That will help folks who are a similar height give you some advice.
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#8 Unread post by Loonette »

Like the others, I have no experience on the V-star, but the bike I own is a larger cruiser, and I love having a low seat height. How vertically challenged are you? I'm just shy of 5'3" (5'4" with boots on). When I was new to riding, my husband and I were shopping for a bike that we could share. I was nervous to sit on the bike that we were considering (a Yamaha FZ6) - it was so tall, and I certainly didn't want to drop it in the sea of bikes where it was parked. The salesman we were talking to was very nice, and I had both him and my husband hold the bike upright while I sat on it, so that I could get an idea of its height. If any salesperson isn't willing to help you try on a bike, then they definitely don't deserve to make a sale. And if you've got a few extra moments, you should fire off a letter to the sales manager or owner to let them know about your bad experience.

I have heard good things about the V-star - don't know of any reason to not buy it. As long as your foot reach is good to the ground and to the controls, your arm reach is good (with perhaps help from risers), and your back isn't in some terrible bend, it should be fine. You could always try a Meanstreak. 8) Good luck - keep us posted!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

jct
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by jct »

My husband is 5'4" (talk about having a limited bike selection!) and he just bought a H-D Sportster 1200 "Low" after owning a Virago 250 -- he is very comfortable. The other bike he was considering was the V-star. I think the 883 Sportster Low is even closer to the ground.

Interestingly, he never thought he would ever buy a Harley. What changed his mind? Walking around the H-D dealership in Myrtle Beach "just for fun" (uh-oh) he asked the salesman if he could try one out (yeah, right). The guy just asked him if he had a MC license, fitted him with a helmet and the two each took off on Sportsters. SOLD! He was grinning the rest of the day.

These places that won't even let you sit on them are ridiculous.

Good luck in your search.

JT

cruzinmom1
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by cruzinmom1 »

Thanks for all the input. My height in my bare feet is 5' 1 1/4" (can't forget that 1/4"). I've read that the v-star seat is only 27" off the ground, so I will go to the other bike shop and sit on one.

And yes, I should go back to the first shop I went to and talk to them about how I was treated.