LADIES - Another newbie

bikingala
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

LADIES - Another newbie

#1 Unread post by bikingala »

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie, and was thrilled to find this site and a ladies lounge to boot!

I rode a little bit about 30 years ago...my husband bought a antique motorcycle about a year ago and has been having a blast with it, and I've been itching to get one ever since. A friend recently decided to move up to a bigger bike, and wanted to sell his 1985 Honda 450 Nighthawk...I couldn't buy it fast enough!

Question...I am getting ready to sign up for an MSF course...my husband doesn't think I need the beginning course, thinks it's too basic.
I've been riding about a month now on weekends, but haven't done much except ride neighborhoods, little highway. ..any opinions from anyone on which course I should take? He took the advanced course and passed with flying colors, after about the same period of time riding beforehand, never having ridden before except for a dirt-bike as a kid...

I'd appreciate any opinions.
Anais Nin
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#2 Unread post by Nalian »

While some of the basic course will be review, there will likely be stuff in there that is new to you. It's a lot more than just basic riding.

Loonette
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

Welcome aboard!

It's too difficult for us to judge which course you should take. I'm not sure, but I think you need to be licensed before taking the experienced riders course (check with your DMV). Most DMV's provide a license by passing the basic rider's course. It's cheaper to take the basic course in some states than others ($25 in Ohio with ample availability, so it was no big deal). Again, you'd have to check with your state to determine which path is best for you.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Enjoy the forums.

Cheers,
Loonette
Last edited by Loonette on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Hmmm. I think that the BRC is the perfect thing.

Trust me, you will learn far more than you realized you didn't know, and may even be able to teach hubby a thing or two. Some of it may be "review" like the basics of the friction zone and shifting, but stick with it and you won't regret it.

My hubby is an MSF instructor, and he pulls the 'stars' aside (when he spots them), and pushes them to excell and be examples of excellent technique. That helps keep them from getting bored, and they REALLY learn more than they expected.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

bikingala
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks!

#5 Unread post by bikingala »

Thanks for the advice. I know it's hard to know what someone else should do as far as the courses. I guess my gut feeling was to take the basic course, and as you all pointed out, I will learn things I don't know anyway. Thanks for the reinforcement.
Anais Nin
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

MonkeyMaw
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by MonkeyMaw »

I think the BRC is a perfect starting point. You will definitely learn some very basic stuff, but you will also learn some cool things to impress your hubby. My fave: the S-turn in a 16X24 box.
I doubt you will be bored during the class. Even if you know how to do most everything, you can still practice and hone your skills. And you might meet some new riding partners!
'85 Yamaha FJ600

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I'm not sure if you'll learn anything you or your husband don't already know on the bike. It's the basic rider course thus it teaches the basics. It's designed as a first step for people who've never been on a motorcycle or even used a clutch so in that regards it doesn't go too in depth.

At the same time, the review after such a long period isn't a bad idea. Not only will you review some important basics on the range, but over the course you'll rebuild a familiarity with the bike that can only come from watching complete newbies start from scratch, or being one. The class room will probabaly have some interesting tidbits to add and the instructors are a wealth of knowledge.

If nothing else, meeting the instructor will be the most valuable thing from the BRC. Many like to keep in touch with students, advise them on things along the way and are a wellspring of knowledge.

It's also fun. I retook the BRC last weekend as part of my rider coach candidate training and as an experienced rider taking the BRC I can tell you that it wasn't boring or a waste. It also gets me 10% off my insurance and someone mentioned before that it counts as a driver improvement class. If that's true then I'll get more positive points on my license.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars