LADIES - Yet another newbie! Riding advice please!

RozStar
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

LADIES - Yet another newbie! Riding advice please!

#1 Unread post by RozStar »

Hi ladies! I just discovered this site today, and I am pleased and excited! Not only can I get any questions about my bike answered, but a Ladies Lounge as well.

My question is what is the best way to get started actually riding? I took the MSF course about a year ago and I have a bike (1987 Virago 535). I'm about to have all the repair work completed within the week, but I'm not certain about how to begin riding. I have a friend (lady also) who has a bike. She has a couple of months experience and she doesn't ride daily, so its the nearly blind leading the blind. Any suggestions will be welcome and thanks

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by deedee1 »

Take it to a parking lot and ride there practicing what you learned in the MSF course. Have your friend go with you if she can. Until you are use to your bike. Then take it in little steps from there to around the block or up and down the street in front of your house. Maybe see if there is an experienced rider in your area that is willing to mentor you.

I have my hubby to mentor me and he ahs been great. I am taking my MSf course next month. I can't wait.

Good luck and remember to take it safe.

Deedee

RozStar
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by RozStar »

Thanks DeeDee! There is a church right next to my apartment complex with a decent sized parking lot. The only trouble with that is they run a day care during the week, but I think they close around 6pm or so. Did you "practice" every day when you started?

deedee1
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by deedee1 »

I am still learning. My hubby is teaching me. We don't have any parking lots around so all my practice has been in the street. I took her out solo for the first time yesterday. (of course hubby was out front working on the car) But so far all I have ridden is up and down the street and around the block a couple of times. He said ht enext step is cornering. should be fun.

From everything I have heard and read its best to practice in a parking lot first til your use to your bike. Hubby made me push mine around then back it down the driveway and ride it back up til I cold balance her enough to go down the street.

Just remember to take it slow and play it safe. Remember to relax and have fun.Thats what everyone tells me. :D

DeeDee

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

RozStar wrote:Thanks DeeDee! There is a church right next to my apartment complex with a decent sized parking lot. The only trouble with that is they run a day care during the week, but I think they close around 6pm or so. Did you "practice" every day when you started?
I highly recommend that you practice daily or every other day.

Think about any sport or other activity that you enjoy... if you take time off from it, it takes regular work/practice to get back to the efficiency of pre-break.

Get yourself a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. An amazing book that includes some practice drills along with an amazing collection of other stuff.

Welcome!!

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RozStar
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by RozStar »

Ladies, thank you both for your good advice. I'm almost afraid that I've forgotten everything I learned in class, but like riding a bicycle, I'm sure it will all come back to me. I cant' wait!

Thanks again!

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#7 Unread post by Loonette »

What they said. Practice as much as you can. Remember to practice those things that you don't think you'll need on a daily basis, but will eventually pop up in some way or another; swerving to avoid objects in the road, maximum braking (very important when you really need it!!!!), accelerating through your turns. And don't wait until your friend can go with you to do your practicing. Although camaraderie is an awesome thing, it's more important that you're getting yourself into a good groove with your own bike. Personally (just speaking for myself here), I preferred doing most of my practice by myself in those early days. It helped me build confidence and by being alone I was focused on developing my "own ride" - those skills and strategies that made me feel comfortable with my riding. Any amount of time that you can spend practicing each day will be a great benefit. And you can still ride with friends as well.

Have fun!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

RozStar
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by RozStar »

Thanks Loonette. The one thing they didn't teach us in class was using turn signals and the horn. Don't know why! I think that's important, but I'm sure it's easy to learn. Were any of you ladies deathly afraid of stalling in traffic? I didn't stall out too much in the class, but that was a parking lot and traffic is a whole lot different. I want to eventually ride my bike to work, but there is a fair amount of traffic, a couple of hills and lots of lights. :shock: How long will it take to get the lump outta my throat?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by KarateChick »

Hey Roz :welcome:

Keep on with the practicing even if your friend is unable to come. The more you do the more comfortable you will get with your bike. The parking lot is perfect. Find a slope in the lot or quiet area if you can to work on hill starts.

(Ha! In our class, some of the horns were disconnected... kept some of the students from fooling around.)

Stalling...it happens. In traffic, well, stay cool and restart and try to ignore any impatient jerks around you so you can just do what you need to do. Again practice here is really going to help. In the parking lot when you are ready, you can get more familiar with applying just a little more throttle and maintaining complete control of your bike with the clutch. Work on s-l-o-w-l-y easing out the clutch if you're hitting the throttle harder.

Take care & have fun.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

RozStar
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by RozStar »

Thanks KarateChick and thank you all for making me feel welcome and giving me such great, USEFUL advice. I'm so glad I found this website! :lol:

Do any of you belong to motorcyle clubs? I was considering joining one. How long should I wait? Since I know dues and such have to be paid, it it expensive?