LADIES - My wife's experience

Darth Snootchie
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

LADIES - My wife's experience

#1 Unread post by Darth Snootchie »

After a week of riding in parking lots, my wife's finally on the road with her bike, and she noticed something: Guys are oogling her hard, and it's making her uncomfortable. At first I thought it was kind of funny, but now, I can see her point.

I noticed it the most last night when I was riding behind her on my own bike around the neighbourhood, men were being less than discreet. I thought one guy on a bike was going to low side as he waved to her.

Is this normal, and she has to get used to it, or will the 'leg-humpers' calm down?
2003 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ6

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

She'll have to just get used to it.

What is she wearing that is sending out the big "I'm a woman rider" flags?

My guess is she's not covered up in full riding gear. She'll have to just get used to it, or you two will need to come up with a way to minimize her womanly appearance.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#3 Unread post by flw »

Lion_Lady wrote:She'll have to just get used to it.

What is she wearing that is sending out the big "I'm a woman rider" flags?

My guess is she's not covered up in full riding gear. She'll have to just get used to it, or you two will need to come up with a way to minimize her womanly appearance.

P
I would fully agree. whether standing, walking, running, on a bicycle or on a motorbike, men are men, their going to look. This is not a excuse, just a statement of fact as I see it.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Veda »

Lion_Lady wrote: What is she wearing that is sending out the big "I'm a woman rider" flags?
+1, what's she wearing and where can I get a set of whatever it is? I'm always looking for gear to make me more noticeably female. I find on the days I am wearing more feminine colors I get run off the road less often.

But yeah, I don't think I get much extra attention on the road - most of the guys that notice me seem to be looking at my bike not at me.

s0crates82
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by s0crates82 »

It's a no-win situation.

If she's visibly female, she's going to attract the attention of leghumpers.

If she's not visibly female, she's going to be treated like a guy, to the tune of "Hey man, nice bike, what is it? get a lot of chicks with it?" etc.

She's either going to have to get thicker skin to deal with the fact that men are attracted to her... or get thicker gear, and get used to be treated as one of the guys.
<i>You sold me queer giraffes. I want my money back.</i>

1978 Suzuki GS550 SOLD | 1980 Yamaha XS850 SOLD | 2005 Suzuki GS500F

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

Veda wrote:
Lion_Lady wrote: What is she wearing that is sending out the big "I'm a woman rider" flags?
+1, what's she wearing and where can I get a set of whatever it is? I'm always looking for gear to make me more noticeably female. I find on the days I am wearing more feminine colors I get run off the road less often.

But yeah, I don't think I get much extra attention on the road - most of the guys that notice me seem to be looking at my bike not at me.

+3

What is she wearing? In proper gear, you get lookers anyway as you're "a motorcycle". But I don't know about ogglers crashing off the road because they can't handle themselves. Now, at a gas station or stop with no helmet, sure, I can see flirts.

Darth Snootchie
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by Darth Snootchie »

Wow, I never thought I'd get that response... No, she is in full gear. The only thing I can think of is that she's got long red hair hanging out from underneath her helmet...plus red jacket on a red bike...etc etc. She does look pretty cute in the whole get up I suppose.

She thanks you for your responses.

Cheers!

Paul and Sandi
2003 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ6

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

Yeah it's kind of sad the state our society is in, in regards to that.

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#9 Unread post by scan »

From a guys point of view - yeah, the red hair from under the helmet might catch eyes. Full helmet? What color gear? Is it shapely gear, or sort of baggy and lumpy looking? Jeans? You are a guy - what do you think when you see her geared up? Do you say WOW?

I am not one to go crazy over a woman on a bike, but I do understand the way most guys behave, and I'm betting there is some factor that makes her stand out. I have not heard anyone in this ladies forum complain about endlessly being attended to by men.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

Nalian
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#10 Unread post by Nalian »

Whenever Veda and I are out I watch people turn and watch her go. Sometimes you can see it in my videos, too. No one ever approaches her or cat-calls or anything like that..but guys will turn on the street/parking lot and watch at times. It happened more often when she was on her scooter.

So far in my experience women who are obviously women in their gear that wear shape-fitting stuff get watched like this. Is it because they think she's hot? Or that she's on a bike and it's just not as common as guys on bikes? I don't know which it is.

Either way its not your wife's fault..but unfortunately unless she makes herself less apparent its probably still going to happen. I suggest a nice big reflective safety vest. ;)