Ladies: Please help me with braking/dumping

yellowrookie
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Ladies: Please help me with braking/dumping

#1 Unread post by yellowrookie »

Hi, I am new to this site and trying to ride.

Here is my problem, I am 5'7 +. I have been on my bike two evenings. The first night I did ok, just riding around the grassy yard (big yard). After about maybe 10 mins and several stop/start practices the last stop I dumped it.

Next night. Get on bike - started off ok, quickly became scared too death that I was going to have to stop it eventually, very nervous. Stopped, then DUMPED IT again. Only stop I made. Had my husband put it away, wasn't in the mood to "practice" anymore.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? :frusty:
Last edited by yellowrookie on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by MicheleZ »

When is your MSF course? I suggest not practicing any more until AFTER the course. You are likely to hurt yourself and learn bad habits if you continue.

yellowrookie
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by yellowrookie »

:shock: mid sept.

I don't think i'll get hurt. I do everything else ok and don't dump it until I am STOPPED :shock: I was up all night last night replaying my stopping technique trying to figure out what in the world I am NOT doing.

I put in the clutch, I brake front and rear, then stop.

but I don't know what I am doing with my feet exactly.

should I put them down AFTER I have come to a complete stop, Before I am COMPLETELY stopped?

The bikes they use in the safety course are little 250's. I just don't know that what I learn on a bike that little will help me with this issue??
Nerves maybe?? I know this isn't hard, WHY is this happening to me. :cry:

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by MicheleZ »

One of the most common reasons for dumping a bike when you stop is having the front wheel turned - it should be straight - even having it turned just a *little* can cause the bike to go straight down when you pull the front brake. I wait until my bike is completely stopped before I put my feet down - otherwise you end up dragging your feet and you can hurt yourself doing that - also that is a very bad habit to develop. Believe me, you are going to learn WAY more than you think you will on those "little 250s". I still say to wait - if you just can't wait then you need to get yourself to a parking lot to practice your stopping - don't ride there yourself.

yellowrookie
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by yellowrookie »

thanks!

maybe I do have front wheel turned a little, that is something I didn't know. I will try one more time tonight.

I am also in grass, uneven ground, so this couldn't be helping much. Just wanted the extra padding for my first time on a bike :P

I am not doubting the value of the course, I can't wait. I know people who never touched a bike come out of that class with amazing new skill.

I was just concerned that my issue seems to be with balance, but you may have pointed out what I might be doing. THANKS!

If I still can't do it tonight - then I am waiting. :P

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by MicheleZ »

Grass/uneven dirt surfaces is probably one of the *worst* places to try and learn to ride - unless you have a little light weight dirt bike which is intended to be ridden on dirt (with the proper tires, etc.). You would be much better getting yourself on concrete/pavement - i.e., the parking lot. Can your sister ride your bike to a quite parking lot for you?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by KarateChick »

What MicheleZ said...and some further expanding...

First - the surface - grass, not the best surface but is good for soft landings. If you can, get onto a harder surface like pavement in a parking lot.

Wheels - First, be sure your front wheel is completely straight when you come to a stop, not turned even slightly. Second, when you are coming to that stop, do not look down because you will go where you look - keep your head UP. Third, with the bike off, practice holding it up (off the kickstand and hold it straight) to get an idea of its weight. But don't lean it much because there will be a point of no return that it will go over on you.

Your Feet - DO NOT put your feet down when your bike is moving. Your feet should only come down when you stop the bike. You can seriously hurt yourself otherwise.

MSF - Yes, I know you are signed up - that's great! Waiting until mid-Sept is tough. If you have to practice on your bike, do it but be careful. And I'm glad hubby is supportive but must point out that SO's can be the absolute worst teachers (even if they are MSF instructors - I even have examples)

Good luck, hang in there and your course will show up in no time. Don't get discouraged and be careful in the interim. And yes, you will learn lots on those "little" 250s. :D
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

Yellowrookie, MicheleZ and KC have given you excellent tips. Please please please don't ignore them or minimize ANYTHING that MSF has to offer. And don't write off "little 250s" either. In fact, you're much more likely to get the hang of all maneuvers and timing by getting on one than larger bike. Think of it as like when you were a kid and you got your first bike. You didn't start off with the gigantic 10spd, right? The size of the bike progressed 1) as your body grew and 2) as your skills grew.

Anyhow, with the stopping, front wheels straight, use both brakes. Use the front brake more, rear brake less but enough to keep the bike's suspension steady. Also, do not anticipate the stop by slowly to a snail's crawl. Doing this will lessen the gyroscopic affect (the thing that makes moving bikes stay up) and then the bike's stability now relies on your balancing act. Which will look like you getting shaky and the bars start twitching back and forth. Stopping the bike like that will almost certainly dump you. When you stop, keep rolling with certainty, then smoothly and firmly squeeze the brakes so that you almost stick. Not a jolt - but a firm 'stick'. This will keep you balanced enough that your feet will have more than enough time to drop down.

As for your teacher, not always the best scenario to have SOs instruct as there is not enough objectivity.

yellowrookie
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by yellowrookie »

wow, thanks for all the great advice!!

Don't get me wrong about 250's, I WISH I HAD ONE :D but knew it wouldn't last me long, see I live miles out in the middle of nowhere, on a state highway, everything I 'read' about 250's said that speeds of 55-60 on a highway are not really what they are meant for. The bike I found was in excellent condition for a pretty good price, and should be light enough for me. Once I learn what I am doing (i hope anyway).

Glad to here that SO's aren't the best teachers, I was starting to get a little ticked off at him :evil:

My husband is going to take it to a parking lot or pavement somewhere for me so I can ride it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT ADVICE!!

BTW I didn't realize how bad my user name looked until after I posted.
The yellow was for my bike color - but reading my post it seems it could have been for "scared to death". lol

MicheleZ
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by MicheleZ »

yellowrookie wrote:The yellow was for my bike color - but reading my post it seems it could have been for "scared to death". lol
"scared to death".......Yea, we have all been there too.... :laughing: