Need advice: newer biker needs opinions on upsizing please!

thetreesalso
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Need advice: newer biker needs opinions on upsizing please!

#1 Unread post by thetreesalso »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I just got my endorsement and my first ride (Kawasaki EDIT Vulcan 500) this past summer and I was at the International Motorcycle Show this past week (it's winter now) and tried out the new Vistory Vegas Low. It's three times the engine I'm used to but it fit me like a glove and it felt like my wee little Kawasaki even though it was a much bigger bike. It's really fitted for a female. That's how they were marketig it and it really felt like they had us in mind when they made it. BTW, I'm short and of smallish build. 5'3' and 140. My hubby's bike FEELS WAY too big for me (Honda Aero 1100) weight wise but I'm feeling ready to upsize from my current bike. I tried all the Harley's and had a hard time with the weight and balance, the Yamaha's felt OK, the Honda's (incl my hubby bike and the smaller ones) just don't fit me and the Suzuki's (Boulevard) feel pretty good BUT not as good as that Victory. Any Victory owners out there have any input? Any experienced riders have any input re: upsizing so soon? All input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS! This forum rocks!
Last edited by thetreesalso on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I think the "FIT" thing is very important. As you ride more bikes you get a better feel for what suits your body and riding styling.

In a lot of ways it's not the upsizing that's and issue here, you're really moving parallel through the bike models to a different type of bike and that is the biggest difference to learn. Crusiers and sport bikes can be ridden differently to get the most out of each... they handle, feel and ride very differently.

The ride characteristics of most any cruiser differs quite dramatically compared to most any sport bike, so you may want to see if local dealers have "demo ride" days early in the season so that you can see how the bike feels when it's rolling. Even an EX500 Kawi is quite a bit more capable as far as braking and cornering performance compared to most cruisers, but if you're tooling around town or down the highway you may like the fit, especially being 5'3". If you rev the Kawi up a bit more the motor will perform just fine, but the Vegas' midrange power makes it alot easier to ride a little lazier, with the large displacement engine.

I double checked the specs here:
http://www.chesapeakecycles.com/new_veh ... pov=712477

and yep, 650 lbs and 85 hp given you not much more overall performance than the EX500, which is something like 400lbs and 60hp. The lower weight and the different motor will make it pretty easy to manouver the extra weight, even though it'll be heavy if you drop it and have to pick it up. Once you're rolling they're all fine, it's the low speed stuff that can take time to get used to...

As i mentioned around town the Vegas motor has alot more low-end and midrange power so it will be faster in day-to-day use if you ride it like a cruiser, as opposed to having to rev the Kawi 500 a bit more. Of course out on the highway wind protection and such all make it feel different too... and you may want a windscreen for the Vegas, etc,.

http://www.buykawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=160

The way your body is supported in a crouched position on the sportbike vs. having much more weight supported on your butt on most cruisers makes a big difference on longer rides. All the feel is in the butt with less control and steering feel due to less weight on the feet and hands, PLUS the raked out steering and long wheel base of a cruiser like the Vegas make is steer slower, etc... so you have an entirely different riding experience, but I think it's great to ride for a year or two and try as many bikes as you feel comfortable riding and friends or dealerships will loan to you. :mrgreen:

I was at a Bike Show this past weekend, and have always thought the Victory Vegas was a nice looking cruiser, but have never sat on one and cruisers and big touring bikes are the two styles of bikes I've ridden the least over the years, whereas I've ridden most other stuff.. the closest thing i've ridden to a Vegas would've been the 1986-2005 series of Yamaha Virago 1100s... which was not a bad ride even two-up on the highways, but still nothing like a sportbike... i.e. i dragged the footpegs on my first ride, while trying to be very careful NOT to ride it like a sportbike... so they've never really been my cup of tea, except the Yamaha V-Max, which also handles like a pig, but has it's advantages :D it's more of a power-cruiser or muscle bike. anyway... drifting off topic here... my build is also A LOT different than yours so again, your feel and experience is the best to work from...

At your stage of riding, I think the best thing is to swap bikes a lot and find out what really appeals to you. The extra power of a big twin cylinder motor in the Vegas will just make passing easier, and more effortless... or you may find out you like the sporty feeling of the Ninja 500.

//monkey

oops! I noticed you actually didn't say which Kawi 500 you had, and I suppose it's quite likely you have a Vulcan 500... (same motor as Ninja EX500 but of course a cruiser chassis...)... in that case HEY, you're already used to the sloth-like handling ;-) actually i think the Vulcan 500 is pretty nimble in terms of cruiser-handling...

http://www.buykawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=272

monkey's away...
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

thetreesalso
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by thetreesalso »

Hey QuietMonkey, thanks for all that info! I amended my posts to reflect that indeed I have the Vulcan. Didn't think to specify when I did my orig posts. So yes I'm used to that cruiser feel. I can't even explain how good that Victory felt to my frame and sitting position. It was like going home. AND, although it is a much bigger bike in size and weight, I felt as comfortable on it as I did my bike. On many of the others I sat on I was intimidated by the way their weight felt when I went to lift them off the kickstand. Some I didn't even try--I didn't want to be THAT girl and have something go wrong and lose my balance and drop one at a show!

I'm glad to know fit is important. Part of me thinks I just need more time to get used to the way different bikes feel and that I'll get used to whatever. The other part of me thinks of it like buying shoes--if it's not even comfortable to try on then walking in it is really going to suck so don't go there! Thanks again for the advice!!

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Bluebabe »

Hello thetreesalso,

Over the years I have updated from a 185 Honda to my current bike which is a 900 Vulcan. I really enjoy it and not sure about the "sloth-like handling" of these bikes, but, I haven't ever been on a sport bike either, so.... ;)

The weight is more than the 600 Shadow I had before but the extra power and the lower center of gravity is awesome! Idon't have any issues staying up with my husband's 1800 Gold Wing (at least when he doesn't kick in all 6 cylinders!) and that's the reason I wanted it.

I have yet to see the one Victory you are talking about, don't know that we will get one up here, but sure would be cool to go and check out, sounds really nice being as low as it is. I too, am around your size, 5' 3" but 118 lbs and don't have any issues with the Vulcan 900.

Let us know what you end up doing. It sounds like it would be a good way to go.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is that "little jewel" going for?
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Arctic Servants Chapter

thetreesalso
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by thetreesalso »

Ah, the million dollar question-how much. Sadly it's MSRP is $16,200. And I want some extras. I would like to buy used but 2008 is the first year for the Vegas Low. I may hold out for a bit to save some $. My Vulcan came from North Carolina and I got it for a steal. Less that 1 yr old, 1200 miles on her and I paid less than 1/2 what the guy paid the dealer for it 8 months prior (he needed money bad and the bike was on eBay and there were no other takers at the time). I'm having a hard time being such a new rider spending that kind of money. But it's the one bike that really felt like home and didn't feel akward to me. Someone suggested I try to see if a regular Vegas can be modified to be just like the new Vegas Low and buy a used one of those and mod it out. Got some homework to do. Thanks for the reply--I really appreciate it!

Bluebabe
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Bluebabe »

Ouch! Yeah, I know. That is a little hard to swallow even if you've been riding for a while. Hmmm, doing mods on one would probably work okay, but somehow probably just wouldn't be the same as one that already came that way.

If you hold out a little, you may find a used one that someone needs to get rid of, too. That would be cool. Always nice when you can find those, huh? That's how I got my little truck.

Well, gotta weigh it out. Don't know all the incidentals in your life, but sometimes a girl's just gotta do what a girl's gotta do. In other words, sometimes we bite the "bullet" and get it anyway..... ;)

Good Luck and let us know what you do. I will let you know if I see one up here.....
1978 Honda Twinstar 185
1986 Kawasaki 454
1992 Honda Shadow 600

Current bike:
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Christian Motorcyclists Association
Arctic Servants Chapter

LADY1300
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Choice of Bike

#7 Unread post by LADY1300 »

I had a Yamaha v star 650 for a couple of years and moved to a bigger bike. I got the Yamaha v star 1300 and I love it. I had to do a little modifing to fit. I am 5'2" so I had to change handlebars and lower it a couple of inches. Well worth every bit of extra work. The 1300 Tourer runs about $11,190.00 that includes bags, windshield, passanger seat and back rest. Any way I hope you enjoy what ever you decide on.

supertoft
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by supertoft »

When I was shopping last December for a bike to replace my 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, I sat on the new Vulcan Tourer 900 and really liked it, it was so purdy, and it had a well balanced feel and low seat height! They have a two tone color scheme this year that was sort of a white/champagne color--very sexy! Unfortunately the dealer in my area wouldn't deal, he had no special financing, he didn't offer anything, and when I asked a question, he would reply to my husband (excuse me?), so I wandered over to the Honda dealer and got a new 2006 VTX1300C (4 miles on the odometer) for several thousands less than a 2008 model, with 3.99 financing on the part I financed, plus $500 towards accessories.

I love my new bike, I was nervous because I went from a 750 to a 1300cc bike, but this bike is well balanced, it is a reach to the bars, but the seat height is plenty low enough (plus I have a new seat on order that will lower me down another inch and forward about an inch, plus risers that will bring the wide drag bars back approx. 2 inches. It is easier to ride on the highway, I don't get buffeted so much. I also sat on some other bikes of that size, but they felt heavier to me.

The Harleys all seem to offer extra low seat heights, they are beautiful bikes-if you have a lot of excess cash, they are an option too.

If you get a much larger bike like I did, I advise parking lot practice or another rider course, even if you've taken one already (we should be taking rider courses every few years anyway to feel more comfortable and keep sharp). They seem to be lots of accessories available to lower seats and change handlebar configurations. I never thought I would be able to handle a really long (multiple days) trip on my 750, I just got blown all over the place and it was hard to keep up with other, larger bikes, I think I can do it on this bike.
Currently Own: 2006 Honda VTX 1300C

*****Old Broads Rule!*****