Thoughts on the Suzuki boulavard S-40 as a starter bike

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Thoughts on the Suzuki boulavard S-40 as a starter bike

#1 Unread post by gypsy_woman »

Hi, I am pretty new to the website, but i was wondering... the single cylinder S40 650 looks like a pretty good option, and the only bad thing that i have heard about it is that it backfires and is underpowered for a 650 which is A-Ok for me. not to mention it is notoriously easy to maintain(belt drive) and has been out since the 80's as the savage so it is relatively easy to find inexpensive parts for. brand new it is $4200 or less(still need to go to the dealer). And did i mention it is light, 380 pound wet weight. I can upgrade the Camshaft to performance later for like 200 dollars and the carbarator for 300 dollars(sacrificing some economy) when it doesn't have enough umph for me anymore. Any information on the bike or experiences with it would be great.
Just seems ideal, and upgradable.
thanks,
beth
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

whisper15
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by whisper15 »

:welcome: to the forum.
Sounds like you have been doing your homework and have a good plan.
I bought a 88 Suzuki Savage 650 from a guy 8 years ago and love it. The only time it backfired was when it was hot and I geared down too soon. I could even make a flame come out of the tail pipe. The guy modified the savage. The front forks are extended out 10 inches. So it looks more like a chopper. He got tired of the chopper look and wanted a touring bike. It is fun to ride and has power enough for me.
I just recently purchaed a 2007 V-Star Silverado Custom Yamaha so I can go on long weekend trips. I still ride the Savage and love it.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Ride Often and Ride Safe.

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by gypsy_woman »

my dreambike is a kawasaki meanstreak, but i want to get really good before i get something that big and powerful. I start drooling just looking at the specs and pics of that beautiful machine. but right now i just need a confidence building commuter for school and work. thanks for the feed back and i kinda like the idea of shooting flames :twisted: every once in a while
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

mj5898
Rookie
Rookie

How is the S40 working out for you???

#4 Unread post by mj5898 »

Hi there. I was just wondering if you went with the S40 and if so, how you like it. My friend is looking into learning to ride - I highly recommended the MSF before she even buys a bike. Anyway, she is very petite, so I thought this bike wiht its light weight might be a good starter when she is ready to purchase.

Thanks and Ride Safe!!!
MJ

'06 Ninja 250 AKA Red Devil

Partnership for an Idiot Free America

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#5 Unread post by Thumper »

The S40 (previously known as the Savage) would be a very good starter bike, if you can deal with the backfiring. That could be addressed, I think, but it's not something a lot of people want to bother with (like me...I wouldn't want to. But I'm lazy.)

If I move over to a cruiser, I'm giving serious consideration to the S50. The Boulevard line is just some nice looking bikes.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

Thumper wrote:The S40 (previously known as the Savage)
I wish Suzuki kept the names like Savage, Intruder, Marauder, Madura(well maybe not that one...lol). The new letter and symbols sound more like European sedans. :roll:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by Thumper »

HYPERR wrote:I wish Suzuki kept the names like Savage, Intruder, Marauder, Madura(well maybe not that one...lol). The new letter and symbols sound more like European sedans. :roll:
:laughing:

Hadn't thought about it, but the letter and numbers does sound like they belong on a yuppie mobile.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

Thumper wrote:
HYPERR wrote:I wish Suzuki kept the names like Savage, Intruder, Marauder, Madura(well maybe not that one...lol). The new letter and symbols sound more like European sedans. :roll:

Hadn't thought about it, but the letter and numbers does sound like they belong on a yuppie mobile.
The S40 is actually the name of an entry level Volvo sedan. :lolsign:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by Thumper »

HYPERR wrote:The S40 is actually the name of an entry level Volvo sedan. :lolsign:
As long as it's not a minivan... :laughing:

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#10 Unread post by flynrider »

Thumper wrote:

Madura means "ripe" in spanish. Gotta wonder who came up with that one.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk